KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3,003 of 4,052
Oops, wrong thread!

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #3,005 of 4,052
Ok ... this could be a really stupid question (they sometimes are :) ) I just ordered the ESP-950's. 600 on M.D. Do I pay another 100+ for the Vesper pads? I know I'll likely get a range of answers on this. If money was no object, I wouldn't hesitate ... but it is :frowning2: Is there really a huge difference? Is it a 'must do' ? Are the stocks really all that bad? Need I ask more? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks !!

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,006 of 4,052
Ok ... this could be a really stupid question (they sometimes are :) ) I just ordered the ESP-950's. 600 on M.D. Do I pay another 100+ for the Vesper pads? I know I'll likely get a range of answers on this. If money was no object, I wouldn't hesitate ... but it is :frowning2: Is there really a huge difference? Is it a 'must do' ? Are the stocks really all that bad? Need I ask more? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks !!
I waited until recently to buy the Vesper pads. They are very comfortable and make the Koss' seem like less of a cheap toy. They seal better and I think they help the bass slightly. I'm glad I bought them even though the hours I spend with the Koss' are less than with my other headphones. So I would definitely recommend the Vesper pads.

PS. Good move on getting the ESP-950's from MD. The Koss Cyber Monday sale excluded this model from the 40% off pricing.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #3,007 of 4,052
Not that the stock pads are bad the Vespars are just better.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3,008 of 4,052
I waited until recently to buy the Vesper pads. They are very comfortable and make the Koss' seem like less of a cheap toy. They seal better and I think they help the bass slightly. I'm glad I bought them even though the hours I spend with the Koss' are less than with my other headphones. So I would definitely recommend the Vesper pads.

PS. Good move on getting the ESP-950's from MD. The Koss Cyber Monday sale excluded this model from the 40% off pricing.

Thanks for this guys ...

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #3,009 of 4,052
Really? I have to disagree. The stock pads are the worst pads I have ever seen on any full size headphones, not to mention headphones at this price point. Vasper pads are a must.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #3,010 of 4,052
To each their own. I don't find them as horrible as you do but the Vespers are a huge upgrade that is for sure.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #3,011 of 4,052
Just finished reading/skimming this thread, and my brain hasn't 'sploded. I got in on the drop fairly early (#12 maybe), as I knew these wouldn't make it 'til Monday (45 pairs at that price... riiiiight). Really looking forward to them. Already ordered the more recent (still EOL'd) AC/DC adapter from Mouser ($21, WTH), and am contemplating pads. The Vespers are really tempting, esp. as I'm a stickler for better pads (have you seen the schiit HiFiMAN ships? so you know... Oris all the way :) ). I like modding, so I may order a pair or two of the stock pads and mess around per New Reformation's ideas. But I'm a-feared they still won't be good enough.

Alcantara is nice, but wouldn't all leather + memory foam give a better seal? Also, endangered species! Hello! That's my experience with the Ori pads on my various HFM cans, once worn for 30 min. or so. They just conform to the head so nicely. Darin, if you're reading, are all your pads the hybrid type? If so, can I order all leather direct from Vesper (if they're reading)?

Thanks for the funny, informative posts (I sprinkled a few Likes around), and esp. the ideas. Oh yeah, I'm definitely up for drilling out the rear panel's RCA openings if my homemade interconnects don't fit. If you ain't moddin', you're just along for the ride :wink:

:beerchug:

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #3,012 of 4,052

Do not worry too much about earpads and whatever! . I just got a 3 years old ESP950 today and I really enjoy what I hear! I do not have time to worry about pads ! This is so good!:jecklinsmile::jecklinsmile:

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #3,013 of 4,052
Just finished reading/skimming this thread, and my brain hasn't 'sploded. I got in on the drop fairly early (#12 maybe), as I knew these wouldn't make it 'til Monday (45 pairs at that price... riiiiight). Really looking forward to them. Already ordered the more recent (still EOL'd) AC/DC adapter from Mouser ($21, WTH), and am contemplating pads. The Vespers are really tempting, esp. as I'm a stickler for better pads (have you seen the schiit HiFiMAN ships? so you know... Oris all the way :) ). I like modding, so I may order a pair or two of the stock pads and mess around per New Reformation's ideas. But I'm a-feared they still won't be good enough.

Alcantara is nice, but wouldn't all leather + memory foam give a better seal? Also, endangered species! Hello! That's my experience with the Ori pads on my various HFM cans, once worn for 30 min. or so. They just conform to the head so nicely. Darin, if you're reading, are all your pads the hybrid type? If so, can I order all leather direct from Vesper (if they're reading)?

Thanks for the funny, informative posts (I sprinkled a few Likes around), and esp. the ideas. Oh yeah, I'm definitely up for drilling out the rear panel's RCA openings if my homemade interconnects don't fit. If you ain't moddin', you're just along for the ride :wink:

:beerchug:
Hi @ThurstonX ,
We currently have the hybrid ESP-950 Vesper pads in stock. (Only 3 pairs left...)
I just ordered a few all leather Vesper pads, but they will probably take a couple of weeks to get here.
We will start trying to keep both the Alcantara and all leather pads in stock from now on.

You can wait until we get the all leather pads in stock, or you can order directly from Vesper. I am not sure what their normal lead time is at this point. So I am not sure which is faster, but you can contact Vesper.
For whatever we have in stock, we usually ship out the same day via 2-3 day priority USPS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Darin

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,014 of 4,052
Hi @ThurstonX ,
We currently have the hybrid ESP-950 Vesper pads in stock. (Only 3 pairs left...)
I just ordered a few all leather Vesper pads, but they will probably take a couple of weeks to get here.
We will start trying to keep both the Alcantara and all leather pads in stock from now on.

You can wait until we get the all leather pads in stock, or you can order directly from Vesper. I am not sure what their normal lead time is at this point. So I am not sure which is faster, but you can contact Vesper.
For whatever we have in stock, we usually ship out the same day via 2-3 day priority USPS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Darin
Thanks for the quick reply and info, Darin. Since I don't have the cans yet, I can wait. That should be enough time for my curiosity to pique, after which I'll probably order :)

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #3,015 of 4,052
Can't go to sleep! Music is so nice. I hear small things that wasn't there before on other cans! Like a few light strokes on cymbals or some whispering and voices in vocals not distinct before.
Presently feeding the ep90 with Rockboxed Sandisk Fuze through a Go-Vibe portable amp.
Can't wait to feed them with LD Dac_1 and a LD MKIVse as pre-amp. This is gonna be magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back