KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Oct 3, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,981 of 4,052
So I'm thinking of making these my next pair of headphones.  Only question.  How bad is the 'squeal' people keep saying.  Is it just an occasional short whine that is barely audible, a constant barely audible whine, a loud whine?  Also what about the static people are saying?

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,983 of 4,052
  So I'm thinking of making these my next pair of headphones.  Only question.  How bad is the 'squeal' people keep saying.  Is it just an occasional short whine that is barely audible, a constant barely audible whine, a loud whine?  Also what about the static people are saying?

The squeal, if it happens, is at a low level but audible.  Note that this is not something that occurs with all ESP-950s, but it is a problem that occasionally crops up.  The performance/price ratio of these phone is so high that I wouldn't worry about the squeal, considering the lifetime warranty.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,984 of 4,052
  Question to anyone that can answer.

What Stax headphone does the ESP-950 compare best to?  

As a headphone/amp system, most likely the Stax SRS-2170.  Note however that the ESP-950 is voiced differently and is not as aggressive in the treble as the Lambdas.  Others should chime in since I have not heard the most recent version of the SR-20X series.  (had an SR-202 but sold it)

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,985 of 4,052

Comparing reports I've read to the pair that I have: Some headphones develop the squeal right away, some never do, sometimes it's loud, sometimes it's quiet... Mine developed a faint squeal in the right channel, I flicked the cup with my finger, and it hasn't appeared again.

Since the problem is due to Koss' loose quality control, it doesn't manifest consistently.

Static is a different matter, because unlike the squeal it can have a variety of causes, not all having to do with the Koss equipment. I haven't experienced the problem but I'm not using the E/90 amplifier either.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,986 of 4,052
I never experienced squeal out static, must be unit to unit variability.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,988 of 4,052
I never experienced squeal out static, must be unit to unit variability.

+1. Mine are a few years old and haven't developed problems (except the pad thing I mentioned some posts ago). It's certainly not an "all 950s have this problem" thing.

As far as E/90 vs other amps, there's a thread somewhere that compared all of the current ESP amps (not just STAX and Koss) and their innards; the E/90 is designed especially for the 950, so it's probably reasonable to assume Koss did their homework and built the "right" amplifier. As far as spec-out vs the STAX amps, Koss runs somewhat higher bias voltage (600V vs 580V for STAX Pro), but FWIR the difference there is insignificant enough that Pro bias headphones could theoretically run on the E/90 (never tested this myself), and the ESP/950 can run on STAX Pro bias amplifiers with an adapter (never tried this since I don't have a STAX Pro bias amplifier, but there's a not insignificant number of people who run their setup like this).

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,989 of 4,052
I run my Koss 950 on a Stax 323B, I believe it is, with the adaptor, like the combo (some feel it is no improvement over the e/90, I think it is better).

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,990 of 4,052
 Originally posted by OJNeg

Any ideas on how to eliminate a slight squeal in the right channel?

It tends to get worse as I boost bias voltage.

I believe I have read somewhere that tapping the affected driver enclosure may alleviate it for sometime.

It should disappear if you lower the bias voltage, however I'd send it to Koss for a repair.

:)

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,991 of 4,052
squeal is gone from right channel now. Was starting to hear a teeny weeny bit in the left channel but that's gone too. Running 620V bias with great results. Might want to use a tad bit of EQ on the very top still.

For classical this headphone is amazing. Gorgeous midrange that sucks you in and huge staging. Hard to compare to HD800 (not as fleshed out and delineated as the king) but the stage width is certainly comparable
basshead.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,992 of 4,052
Just got these,complete,plus some spares. Connected through HA 1,first impressions?. Brilliant, a wonderful wide/ front back sound stage, bass,well integrated, the mids,wow!, treble clear well defined. I removed the foam,and won't be putting it back. Between tracks,dead silent. Are they as good as my HD800, Shure 846 Westone 4R,and a few others,All are different,in their own ways,and i enjoy all,BUT,at this time, I tend to pick these up To anyone considering these,you can't go wrong. Buy with care. I think,i can now sell my ESP 9B.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,993 of 4,052
I have run up and down the pricing gambit with headphones for the past few years acquiring Senns, Beyerdynamic and FA but I invariably come back to my mid-priced Koss 950s.  It is amazing how good these are and at a remarkable price point.  I'm thinking of selling off most of my headphones and possibly purchasing an LCD3 but I so love the sound signature of the 950s I'm not certain it is worth it. We'll see. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,994 of 4,052
I have run up and down the pricing gambit with headphones for the past few years acquiring Senns, Beyerdynamic and FA but I invariably come back to my mid-priced Koss 950s.  It is amazing how good these are and at a remarkable price point.  I'm thinking of selling off most of my headphones and possibly purchasing an LCD3 but I so love the sound signature of the 950s I'm not certain it is worth it. We'll see. 

If you go LCD, I'd be interested in a comparison, but I will agree that a lot of more expensive headphones don't look like as good of a value against the 950, depending on what price you got the 950s for... Speaking of, how's the ESP/950 compare to the Finals in your signature? :happy_face1:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back