KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Oct 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,996 of 4,054
Anyone thinking about picking up a new pair of these might want to wait it out until Black Friday as I believe Koss usually has a 40% off deal.

I thought about posting this same thing earlier today but got busy.
It was actually the Monday after Thanksgiving last year when I bought mine for 40% off. But either way, be ready during this time for anyone having the itch. I just wish there was another pair of Koss that I wanted if the sale comes around, but I think I'm about all Koss'd out.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,997 of 4,054
I always forget about that deal. This year I'm hoping I'll remember that week and snag a PRO4AA for cheap so I can experiment with them a bit.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,999 of 4,054
Eh, might as well grab a DJ100 as a cheap portable anyways. I haven't had a full-size portable for awhile.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #2,002 of 4,054
I did find the Stax 323B to be a good upgrade, solidified the sound, bass better, overall better listening impressions (it's been a while since I listened to them with the stock energizer...actually been a while since I put them on at all, since I got the HE-1000, but that's another story). Never went back to the stock energizer once I got the Stax. Some don't feel it is much of an upgrade-I'm sure there are better amps, but they'll cost you.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,003 of 4,054
For diying a Koss to stax adapter I'll just need the Koss extension cable and one of these right https://www.etsy.com/listing/228649391/5-pin-plug-for-stax-pro-bias?source=aw&utm_source=affiliate_window&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=us_location_buyer&utm_content=85386 ? It seems like one of these from moon audio would be an option too but it might break the amp port after a while so the vintage one might be a better choice http://www.moon-audio.com/stax-5-pin-din.html. I have heatshrink. Let me know if the vintage adapter will work or if not where to get a new one. I'll be using a Stax SRD-7. Thanks

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #2,004 of 4,054
I used the one from Moon Audio and it fit the Stax jack perfectly.  I've seen pictures from others showing that the spacing of the Moon connector is off, which stresses the Stax jack, but the one I have matches the Stax hole pattern perfectly.  So, suggest purchasing both (they're cheap), then check the fit before modding the cable.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #2,007 of 4,054
Hello guys, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a ESP 950 setup, so I'm hoping for a little feedback first.

Which amp would you recommend for this headphone? I think it's coming with a Stax SRM1 MK2 amp, but it may be the E90 energiser. So what would you guys say are the differences between these two, sonically?

Also what is a  power amp and SUT? (I don't know the meaning of those terms). Maybe you can just post a link to more info.

And what is an Amphenol connector (what does it do, what is it for)?

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back