KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Sep 26, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,966 of 4,054

I actually purchased this one here and use it with an adapter to the proper 2.5mm barrel size: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QZ7RG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I would advise you be very careful and ONLY get an adapter that is regulated AND exactly matches the 9V requirement listed on the KOSS gear.  Anything else puts your gear at risk and could compromise SQ.

Thanks!  I will remember key word "regulated"

For my needs when I don't have an outlet (at work) I was thinking of using these in the battery pack.

Any thoughts, guys?

http://www.amazon.com/SunLabz%C2%AE-Rechargeable-Batteries-Highest-Performance/dp/B00SK6TH46/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443296612&sr=1-1&keywords=sunlabz+c+rechargeable+batteries

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,967 of 4,054
AFAIK, and according to the Koss documentation, the headband is already genuine leather (just like the bag). It's only the earpads themselves that aren't real leather, which (and I'm guessing here) is done to keep the replacement cost down (all Koss pads are $5; they likely couldn't do that if the 950 used genuine leather pads).
redface.gif

Should charge $20 but should be real leather or an option over the vinyl at least.

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,968 of 4,054

Oh , one more note on the power supply.  It's probably going to cost a bit more to get a good one.  I had a really strange phenomenon happen with the first, very cheap, supply that I purchased.  It would actually cause a hum in the headphones when the headphones were unplugged from all gear.  The RF interference was so bad from the adapter that the membrane of the electrostatic driver must have been picking it up even with NO amplification.

The one I have now is completely silent even though it is has the same specs as my first attempt.

Iv'e never used the battery pack, but as long as the output from the batteries is the same as alkaline you should be good to go. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,969 of 4,054
Keep up posted...think it is great in the mids, not that great in the high and low end (particulaly the high end). Any mods a 10 thumbed fella like myself can do would be of interest (I'm using Stax 323B amp, think it gives more heft to the bass.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,970 of 4,054
No, my set wasn't defective. The distortion disappeared after I removed the plastic film wrapping, so it proves that the film is the culprit. Let me give you an example, I was using my STS Burn-in CD to run in the ESP950, at the very beginning of track 1 which plays the low organs, I found that the distortion was very apparent. If you have the CD I encourage you to give it a try and you'll know what kind of distortion I'm talking about.

You're not following my logic. I'm saying that with any input, music, test tone, etc I have never heard distortion (even with 20-30 dB of bass boost playing LF sine tones), but you have. So it's not unreasonable to assume that perhaps on yours, that film was not applied or installed correctly, and removing it "solved" the problem. However you could've just as easily sent them back to Koss for repair under the warranty - that's one thing I don't get, is that more than any other high-end headphone, the ESP/950 seems to be one that people love to try taking upon themselves to fix, and yet, more than any other high-end headphone, they're the one that doesn't need that. :ph34r:

Should charge $20 but should be real leather or an option over the vinyl at least.

What is the fascination with real leather? I honestly don't get it. :xf_eek:

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #1,972 of 4,054
Well leather tends to breathe better, not get as hot or sticky
but no, if they were available I would not buy them until replacement time.

IME the ESP/950 pads behave equal or better to my cans with genuine leather pads in terms of breathing and heat retention - I think the pleats are a large reason for that. OFC YMMV, but it's what I've observed over the years.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,973 of 4,054
You're not following my logic. I'm saying that with any input, music, test tone, etc I have never heard distortion (even with 20-30 dB of bass boost playing LF sine tones), but you have. So it's not unreasonable to assume that perhaps on yours, that film was not applied or installed correctly, and removing it "solved" the problem.

+1

Have owned two ESP-950s since the early '90s and have not observed any problems coming from the covers.  One thing I do know is that dust is the enemy of electrostats and that removing the covers can lead to the infamous ESP-950 squeal due to dust contamination.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,975 of 4,054

+1

Have owned two ESP-950s since the early '90s and have not observed any problems coming from the covers.  One thing I do know is that dust is the enemy of electrostats and that removing the covers can lead to the infamous ESP-950 squeal due to dust contamination.

Good reason to use the very nice bag that they come with rather than display them, thanks!

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #1,976 of 4,054
Good then I will leave that thought alone.

One thing I will add, and this isn't meant to cause fear or distress: when I first got my ESP/950, I did *something* to them (I still have no idea what), but one of the pads developed a very small knick, which over the course of a few months became a small tear. I ordered replacements (and if anyone is curious: the listing on Koss' website is for a PAIR, not a SINGLE; I ended up with four pads but they had BOGO so it's okay :p), and have had no issues with those for years (probably 3) since. In terms of "how hot and sticky do they get?" compared to headphones with leather or other "sealed" fabric (e.g. vinyl, pleather, etc):

vs:

ATH-W5000, genuine leather. The W5000 can develop "hot spots" if positioned improperly, and after 4-6 hours that gets uncomfortable (if positioned properly they're fine for as long as you want, but still get "warm" against your head). ESP/950 do not develop hot-spots. The W5000 pads have no purchase on your head though, while the ESP/950 will warm up and stay put a little better.

ATH-ESW9, genuine leather. The ESP/950 feel like they breathe better, and stay cooler, but otherwise both are good.

MDR-SA5000, genuine leather. The ESP/950 are softer and breather much better; SA5000 can get sticky.

TH-900, quality synthetic leather. About the same with both.

HP-DX1000, genuine leather (??? this is based on a translation of the documentation). About the same with both, but DX1000 get to feeling a bit more claustrophobic against the skin after a while.

MV-1, Koss Pnuemalite (vinyl). MV-1 gets somewhat stickier, but is very pliable and soft against the skin.

ESP/10, oil-filled vinyl, and ~40 years old. Pads were rock hard along their contact surface, had to replace. Non-OEM replacements (still oil-filled vinyl) was much more pliable and soft; claustrophobic feeling though.

TBSE1, Koss vinyl pad (similar to ESP/950 but smaller and circular). Good breathing, but not as pliable - gets stuffy quickly.

I still think the Grado foam pads are the acme of headphone pads - they breathe perfectly, stick to nothing, are easily replaced or washed, are soft and pliable, etc. Unfortunately they're only available for Grado cans, but they can't all be winners, now can they? That said, I think ESP/950 and TH-900 are probably about as good as it gets if you can't have the Grado pads, and you'll notice neither is genuine leather. I don't have any real complaints with W5000 (and the "hot spots" thing isn't every time - it's only sometimes) or DX1000, and I don't mind the vinyl pads from older Koss headphones but they're clearly a distant third. The leather on MDR-SA5000 was awful (I owned that headphone twice as well, so I either was twice unlucky or it's just not great quality), and is a big reason I'm not a die-hard "must be leather" fan. The one big thing Koss will beat all of these other cans for is cost - they want $5/pr for replacement pads, so in theory you could replace them monthly if you so desired, whereas the replacement pads for some of the leather or synth leather headphones can get quite expensive. Just my 2c based on a few years of casual use.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,978 of 4,054
I'm in the same situation, again.
My left side squeals, even after the factory inspected and repaired them.

Gonna send them in again, because Lifetime Warranty.

If you don't have it already:

Koss Corporation
Attn: Warranty Return
4129 N. Port Washington Avenue
Milwaukee, WI  53212
customersupport@koss.com

Send with tracking,
include written description of problem
and just the relevant pieces (usually energizer & speakers)
and $9.00 (CAD$10) for return shipping.

No need to contact them in advance.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,979 of 4,054
I'm in the same situation, again.
My left side squeals, even after the factory inspected and repaired them.

Gonna send them in again, because Lifetime Warranty.

If you don't have it already:

Koss Corporation

Attn: Warranty Return

4129 N. Port Washington Avenue

Milwaukee, WI  53212
customersupport@koss.com

Send with tracking,
include written description of problem
and just the relevant pieces (usually energizer & speakers)
and $9.00 (CAD$10) for return shipping.

No need to contact them in advance.

They list a different address for Canadian customers:
http://www.koss.com/en/support/warranty_and_repair

Koss Stereophones
Attn: Warranty
P.O. Box #532
Bellefeuille Branch,
St. Jerome, P.Q. J5L 2N4
This address is for mailing only.

Even if it is just a PO box, its likely cheaper to ship domestically within Canada and let Koss forward it to themselves than to pay for international shipping and insurance. :)

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,980 of 4,054
I might add, not needed, but I went ahead and registered all of mine.
I have had a very good experience with them presently and in the
the past 6 months.

http://www.koss.com/en/support/product_registration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back