KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Apr 18, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #3,691 of 4,052
it. OTE="Dealux, post: 15556670, member: 491838"]
Seriously considering getting a pair of the 95X to compare with my LCD-2 Fazor. I'm expecting less resolution and dynamics but maybe I'm willing to trade that for more transparency and clarity.

Audezes are weird. They have a kind of warmth that super imposes itself over the sound of the headphone regardless if you EQ them or not. To me it sounds like the big leather pads are coloring the sound in an odd way which contributes to this sense of lack of clarity despite otherwise showing all of the signs of a well performing driver.
[/QUOTE]

I suspect they will be a good complement for each other. The Koss are the best headphones I've ever heard.

While under lockdown I've had a blast modifying a set of Monoprice M1060c. In their current open state Joshua Valour states they're close to the LCD 2. I've never heard them, so I can't say if he's full of it. I'll be adding fazors next week.

They make a great complement to the Koss because they're forward, aggressive and very dynamic. A lot more bass that tightens up when converted to open. By comparison the Koss are more airy, faster and pick up more micro detail.

I was slightly disappointed with the Elex as a complement. While they were more dynamic with arguably my favorite treble, they went for the same airy sound signature but left me craving detail and speed.

Closed, the M1060c are nothing special. Open, I prefer them to the Elex and Elegia I used to own. Though I realize the Focals probably have better technicality.

In your particular case, it will come down to whether you like the signature and leaner bass. I expect the Koss will be nowhere near as warm as your LCD2. The Koss do get better with a better energizer and pads too.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #3,692 of 4,052
Does anyone think hooking up a 4v headphone output to the RCA inputs of the E90 would be damaging? I want to use these with another device that has no line level output, and its amp puts out max 3.96v.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #3,693 of 4,052
Does anyone think hooking up a 4v headphone output to the RCA inputs of the E90 would be damaging? I want to use these with another device that has no line level output, and its amp puts out max 3.96v.
Don't know if it would be damaging or not. 4v might overdrive the inputs of the energizer. If Koss put the volume controls on the input of the energizer, you should be fine. If on the output, there could be overload. If there's overload you could hook a passive volume control inline, like the Schiit Sys. Some people do this so the Koss concentric volume knobs can be set once and left alone. Why don't you ask Koss? They're good, helpful people.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #3,694 of 4,052
<snip>

When I placed my order with Vesper, I had my pads customized for me and I did pay a little extra but it still only came out to be less than $75 and mine are angled, all leather, perforated, memory foam, and custom thickness to my specification. The standard all leather pads are much cheaper. Darin charges something like $89 for a standard all leather set.

<snip>

The bass became much better with my vespers, tighter too. The pads were the biggest improvement to these headphones IMO.

@Amish , can you remind us of your custom thickness on the Vesper pads?

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #3,695 of 4,052
Apr 29, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #3,696 of 4,052
I posted a review, including video, for the 95X, if this is helpful to anyone. Annoyingly the price just went up $50.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/massdrop-koss-esp-95x.24340/review/23613/
Great review! Which improved power supply did you use? In this thread there are people who have used relatively fancy linear power supplies ($75-$125) and others who have used higher amperage basic power bricks designed for medical equipment or whatever ($15-$25). I am curious to know whether the extra coin really brings extra benefit.

May 11, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #3,698 of 4,052
Any way to connect the energizer directly to a 2017 MacBook? I've been vacillating between buying the iFi micro iDSD for my HE560 and the ESP-9XX but after looking at the energizer and not seeing a digital input I think I have to buy both to connect the ESP to the MB?

May 12, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #3,699 of 4,052
Any way to connect the energizer directly to a 2017 MacBook? I've been vacillating between buying the iFi micro iDSD for my HE560 and the ESP-9XX but after looking at the energizer and not seeing a digital input I think I have to buy both to connect the ESP to the MB?
Yes, you'll want a DAC. Haven't tried it, but I'd think you could use a 1/8" to RCA cable and feed it from your headphone port.

May 13, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #3,701 of 4,052
New energizer/amp for mine. Stax Professional edition. Sounds great and helps the soundstage, airiness and general sense of ease and power. 20200513_164119.jpg20200511_115638.jpg20200511_113240.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #3,702 of 4,052

The ESP comes with a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable, which you can use to connect the MacBook earphone output to the energizer's front input. You may want an external DAC that is better than the one built into your MacBook, but you don't need a DAC. I am planning to add an external DAC (a Topping E30) to my system, partly for the volume control it provides.

May 13, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #3,703 of 4,052
With the Koss ESP-950 system being 30 years old, does this make them the longest electrostatics model run?

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #3,704 of 4,052
Off hand does anyone know of better than stock earpads that aren't $80-90?

Got mine a few weeks ago and with some EQ I swear are the most amazing headphones I've ever heard, and I've heard and owned a lot and definitely more expensive. The effortlessness and ability to never get shouty or out done is something that NO dynamic or planar I've heard can do. Pink Floyd has never sound so good.

Also all this talk about Stax amps...dammit...though I know no different I will say that the Koss amp sounds a lot better than people made it out prior to getting them and EQ certainly helps but I'm use to it with my iSINE20's already so no biggie by any means.

Definitely a special headphone and one I'm keeping, probably forever. Nothing I've heard sounds as good, I don't imagine much else does under $1,000.

Anyways, if anyone knows better pads that don't cost a 3rd of what I got the headphones for, preferably leather, thanks!

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #3,705 of 4,052
Off hand does anyone know of better than stock earpads that aren't $80-90?

Got mine a few weeks ago and with some EQ I swear are the most amazing headphones I've ever heard, and I've heard and owned a lot and definitely more expensive. The effortlessness and ability to never get shouty or out done is something that NO dynamic or planar I've heard can do. Pink Floyd has never sound so good.

Also all this talk about Stax amps...dammit...though I know no different I will say that the Koss amp sounds a lot better than people made it out prior to getting them and EQ certainly helps but I'm use to it with my iSINE20's already so no biggie by any means.

Definitely a special headphone and one I'm keeping, probably forever. Nothing I've heard sounds as good, I don't imagine much else does under $1,000.

Anyways, if anyone knows better pads that don't cost a 3rd of what I got the headphones for, preferably leather, thanks!

There are cheap Chinese pleather pads on EBay for around $15. They're better than stock if you want more bass, but definitely not as good as the Dekoni or Vesper.

My pair weren't properly filled with foam, so there's two wrinkles in each pad, which create an imperfect seal.

The Vesper pads in leather will cost about $70 depending on your selections, and they took a month to get to me. That was before the COVID crisis. They are much better quality than the generic, sound better, and are somewhat better than Dekoni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back