KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jan 29, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,661 of 4,052
Okay, I see. Seems to be two possible reasons why this would happen. The good news is that think this is fixable. If I understand correctly when you are wearing the headphones, facing the energizer, after the Y split in the cable, you have to turn the cable over to plug it in, resulting in a twist in the cable? Mine doesn't have any twists when wear them like this.

Option 1:
You are wearing the headphones backwards, which I doubt.

Option 2:
I think this might be caused because of identical twists in the cable above the Y split on both sides. This can be fixed, I think, by disconnecting both cups from the headband and untwisting them until you can plug them in without a twist.

Otherwise, I don't think the headphones would work because of how they are wired. On my set the wire with the dashed line is closest to the back (in relation when you are wearing them) of the L cup, facing out. The solid line wire, however, is on the front of the R cup, facing inside. Does that make sense? I hope this helps. Let me know.

Thank you for your help, I followed what you said about the Y split, I managed to fiddle around with the Y split, I removed both pads from the headband, that is the culprit here. I wish they weren't removable, this issue wouldn't have arisen. I've got it finally sorted, I'll have to get used to this wide flat cable.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #3,662 of 4,052
Thank you for your help, I followed what you said about the Y split, I managed to fiddle around with the Y split, I removed both pads from the headband, that is the culprit here. I wish they weren't removable, this issue wouldn't have arisen. I've got it finally sorted, I'll have to get used to this wide flat cable.

Great! I'm glad you were able to get it straightened out (pun intended). :o2smile:

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #3,664 of 4,052
Was hoping someone here would be able to help me since Koss hasn't. So I purchased an ESP95X and was planning to swap out the stock power supply for a 9V 2A iFi iPower (which I notice a number of people on this thread have been successful with), however whenever I try to do so I get nothing. Just an occasional red blink from the power indicator. I've measured the iPower which is outputting a comfortable ~9.2V, whereas the stock power supply which comes with the unit is outputting over 13V! Was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this?

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #3,665 of 4,052
Also whenever there is excessive bass on a track there is what I can only describe as a 'rustling' sound. I experienced this in the left channel of my first pair so Drop provided me with a replacement, however the new pair has the same problem in both channels! I've only managed to find one other account of this online - is there anyone else out there with the same? Note this is separate to the issue of the energiser humming/squeeling, which seems to be par for the course.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #3,666 of 4,052
Hello guys, quite new here, but I am glad this thread is still up running.

I recently got myself a Koss ESP 950 and have it running with a stax srm1 mkii, and found there was an imbalance problem? What should I do? They are used but only for a few hours. This problem got cleared when i connect it to the original koss amo, the imbalance is sticking quite a bit. The left has less volume than the right. Does koss's warranty include this??? All the help is appreciated!

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #3,667 of 4,052
Channel imbalance is a known issue, the koss energiser has two volume pots for this reason. Using with a stax amp I don't know how to fix that.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #3,668 of 4,052

I recently got myself a Koss ESP 950 and have it running with a stax srm1 mkii, and found there was an imbalance problem? What should I do? They are used but only for a few hours. This problem got cleared when i connect it to the original koss amo, the imbalance is sticking quite a bit. The left has less volume than the right. Does koss's warranty include this??? All the help is appreciated!

Thought I remembered reading that the SRM-1/MK-2 has balance controls...is your unit different?

If not, then use the L-R leveling...

Otherwise, am thinking you could adjust the balance via your playback software (if it has this feature) or by inserting some sort of balance controlled hardware device in the chain prior to the line-level input of the SRM-1/MK-2. This device could be anything from a $25 balance control to a $250 integrated amp to the sky's the limit preamps.

1582369957619.png

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #3,669 of 4,052

I would think that even though imbalance is a common problem that stats develop, that should be covered under warranty. My Stax amp has a double volume knob, yours should too right?

Are you saying that without using the double volume knob, the Stax amp gives you imbalance but the Koss amp doesn't?

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,670 of 4,052
The Elex is technically superior, on dynamic control and speed {edit - and detail}. The Koss 95X has a unique soundstage due to its large vertical earcups and drivers. Sounds very spacious and .. yeah, unique.

Thanks for the response, I'm going to stick with the default energiser + Linear Power Supply.

So, shortly after this post - I decided to get the Elex as a complement to my 95X. I like them a lot, but I'm not sure I'm keeping them.

Unless you strictly mean treble, I'm absolutely sure the Koss picks up much more microdetail in the mids and bass. When I listen to the Elex, I find myself missing the intimacy and speed of the Koss. That said, I now understand the excellent dynamics of the Elex, and the treble is in my opinion definitely superior. Though the Koss can boost it's treble quantity with fenestrated pads, it's harsh. The Elex treble is nice, airy and sparkly. I think it's more extended also - but my ears can't detect anything above 16Khz I'm sure.

With the Vesper solid pads I have, along with my SRM 717 energizer - I'm sure the Koss has more bass. I'd like to do an A-B of dynamics when I get a chance, our floors are getting done, so I safely packed away my electrostatic gear. While I believe the Elex is superior in dynamics, I'm starting to wonder if I got more benefit out of my Stax amp than I realized - so if you have any test tracks for me to try when I get everything set up in a week or so, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #3,671 of 4,052
So, shortly after this post - I decided to get the Elex as a complement to my 95X. I like them a lot, but I'm not sure I'm keeping them.

Unless you strictly mean treble, I'm absolutely sure the Koss picks up much more microdetail in the mids and bass. When I listen to the Elex, I find myself missing the intimacy and speed of the Koss. That said, I now understand the excellent dynamics of the Elex, and the treble is in my opinion definitely superior. Though the Koss can boost it's treble quantity with fenestrated pads, it's harsh. The Elex treble is nice, airy and sparkly. I think it's more extended also - but my ears can't detect anything above 16Khz I'm sure.

With the Vesper solid pads I have, along with my SRM 717 energizer - I'm sure the Koss has more bass. I'd like to do an A-B of dynamics when I get a chance, our floors are getting done, so I safely packed away my electrostatic gear. While I believe the Elex is superior in dynamics, I'm starting to wonder if I got more benefit out of my Stax amp than I realized - so if you have any test tracks for me to try when I get everything set up in a week or so, I would really appreciate it.

The 95x is loudest in the mids - at around 1000hz. The Elex has subdued midrange around this area and sounds much leaner..with fenestrated sheepskin pads on the Elex it is better. The Elex dynamics are technologically superior to the ancient estats, but the 95X has a large, tall soundstage that I really like. Plus the 95X can be eq'd with little distortion.

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #3,672 of 4,052
Thank you all of you for the wonderful answers! To clear things up though, the imbalance happens on both apms. It is just that the double knob on the koss amp allows me to change the balance.

The strm1 kmii I own didn't have a volume knob so it got replced with a simple one without L R balance. Any idea where to get knobs for the amp? Great help for my side, I don't know where to buy them. Also, do you guys think I should just live with it with the knob or get it fixed. The problem is like 90%left 100%right.I can live with it, sort of, but with the annoyance that the hps are not perfect and I will always use the LR balance on the sony zx300.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #3,673 of 4,052
Thank you all of you for the wonderful answers! To clear things up though, the imbalance happens on both apms. It is just that the double knob on the koss amp allows me to change the balance.

The strm1 kmii I own didn't have a volume knob so it got replced with a simple one without L R balance. Any idea where to get knobs for the amp? Great help for my side, I don't know where to buy them. Also, do you guys think I should just live with it with the knob or get it fixed. The problem is like 90%left 100%right.I can live with it, sort of, but with the annoyance that the hps are not perfect and I will always use the LR balance on the sony zx300.
If the double knob was replaced by a single one, I believe the imbalance is due to some missalignement between both channels when the new knob was installed. I would try to get a double knob to have a proper working unit, but meanwhile you can try to remove the knob and see if you can balance it out and reinstall.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #3,675 of 4,052
That could very well be the case, would tSorry to fix it when I find the right screw driver. Also, just wondering if you know places to buy knobs? Thx!
Sorry, only portuguese or european stores... might be a bit out of hand for you :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back