KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #3,346 of 4,052
Which is why I'll rely on you to elaborate further on the sound differences between the ESP-950 and Stax SRM-1/MK-2. :)
I'm sure the thread readers will leverage the additional insight appropriately when they're considering their options!

That's the cool thing about this hobby, each person can choose the path that best suits them...
Or spend a lot of money going down the wrong path!

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #3,348 of 4,052
Could happen... :wink:

Hopefully, they enjoy the journey and learn some things along the way!
That is the real fun in high end audio, enjoying and learning.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #3,350 of 4,052
The Koss/Massdrop ESP-95X arrived today. Could hardly wait to get home and give them a listen. 6 months is a long time to wait. Sounding excellent. Very comfortable.
Unless you have a Stax 009 or Sennhieser Top Electrostatics, you will find them excellent. The few that beat out the ESP-950 are very expensive. I have been happly with mine for so many years.

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #3,351 of 4,052
Unless you have a Stax 009 or Sennhieser Top Electrostatics, you will find them excellent. The few that beat out the ESP-950 are very expensive. I have been happly with mine for so many years.

STAX Lambdas are a noticeable improvement over the ESP950. Once I got my L300 and L300 Limited I had zero desire to listen to the ESP950 anymore. ESP950 is like a Sennheiser HD650/6XX (with less low end) where the STAX L300 Limited is like a Focal Clear (with a little more low end).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #3,352 of 4,052
Sonarworks Tru-Fi has worked wonders for me on some of my other headsets. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, Sennheiser HD 518, KZ-ZS6 - even my wife's Apple EarPods and the 'Samsung Earphones tuned by AKG' that came with my S9. Lots of other sets are there - Beyer, Focal (even the Utopia), BUT

Koss is poorly represented. Porta Pro Classic and Pro 4AA - really??

I can only be one voice requesting they add our ESP-950 to the stable. They know my IPs already.

May I humbly suggest others in this group learn about the product, and then consider adding your requests to mine to get our headphones added to the list?

You can still use the app on iPhone or Android without starting a trial, it is free at least until the end of 1Q of 2019. I've been able to play 24/96k files natively using Tru-Fi on my S9 and my wife's iPhone 6S. Spotify - only 320mbps ogg-vorgis - also works with it.

IMHO, their EQ is much better than even most parametric EQ can do. Of the sets I have, the ATH-MSR7 sounds the best. But, what was formerly very muddy sounding by contrast to the rest of my gear, even the HD 518 vocals are restored and in better balance, and bass is more solid.

It is possible to send them a headphone and get it individually calibrated - within +/- 1dB (vs 3dB if they already have a curve). After maybe 5 weeks, you get the transfer function (?) to plug in for it, but it still doesn't include the software, and costs more than I want to spend. The software on its own is $79, covers three concurrent devices I think.

Anyway, I think I'll mention this in the discussion group on MassDrop too. Hope enough of us contact them, and get these added.

Oh - sorry, no Stax on their list at all. Fostex? yeah. Sorry, VRacer-111... :darthsmile:

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #3,353 of 4,052
Sonarworks Tru-Fi has worked wonders for me on some of my other headsets. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, Sennheiser HD 518, KZ-ZS6 - even my wife's Apple EarPods and the 'Samsung Earphones tuned by AKG' that came with my S9. Lots of other sets are there - Beyer, Focal (even the Utopia), BUT

Koss is poorly represented. Porta Pro Classic and Pro 4AA - really??

I can only be one voice requesting they add our ESP-950 to the stable. They know my IPs already.

May I humbly suggest others in this group learn about the product, and then consider adding your requests to mine to get our headphones added to the list?

You can still use the app on iPhone or Android without starting a trial, it is free at least until the end of 1Q of 2019. I've been able to play 24/96k files natively using Tru-Fi on my S9 and my wife's iPhone 6S. Spotify - only 320mbps ogg-vorgis - also works with it.

IMHO, their EQ is much better than even most parametric EQ can do. Of the sets I have, the ATH-MSR7 sounds the best. But, what was formerly very muddy sounding by contrast to the rest of my gear, even the HD 518 vocals are restored and in better balance, and bass is more solid.

It is possible to send them a headphone and get it individually calibrated - within +/- 1dB (vs 3dB if they already have a curve). After maybe 5 weeks, you get the transfer function (?) to plug in for it, but it still doesn't include the software, and costs more than I want to spend. The software on its own is $79, covers three concurrent devices I think.

Anyway, I think I'll mention this in the discussion group on MassDrop too. Hope enough of us contact them, and get these added.

Oh - sorry, no Stax on their list at all. Fostex? yeah. Sorry, VRacer-111... :darthsmile:

Every few months for at least 3 years I submit:

Submit a headphone request. Let us know which headphones we should support next.

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/headphone-request

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #3,356 of 4,052
Requested the Koss/Massdrop ESP-95X. I'm confused about how their service functions. Is this a program on a computer? A mobile app is supposed to be on the way. Not excited about hooking headphones to a computer or cellphone.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #3,357 of 4,052
Requested the Koss/Massdrop ESP-95X. I'm confused about how their service functions. Is this a program on a computer? A mobile app is supposed to be on the way. Not excited about hooking headphones to a computer or cellphone.

Yes, this is an application. I can use Tru-Fi as a player for anything on the microSD in my phone. I have a DAC that uses OTG through the USB. It works on files on PCs/Macs too. I don't think it works without that digital playback. Their stated goal is to provide playback that is as close to neutral as possible. They have a separate (more expensive) system that is designed for recording studios. Tru-Fi is just for headphones. I guess they think that a recording engineer that works with speakers or headphones that over-emphasize treble (for example) - and consequently turns it down to sound natural on the recording - is doing a disservice to the recording.

Anyway, for the in, on and over ear speakers I have, I find the Tru-Fi remarkable insofar as it makes for VERY similar playback of pieces of music, regardless of which device I choose. Depressed midrange? Peaky highs, or too much oomph? Or, missing some bass?? Pretty much non-issues after engaging their treatment. Yes, I'm already a big fan of flat/neutral reproduction - a big part of why I bought the ESP-950. Well, that and incredible transient response...:L3000:

I'd be thrilled to hear them without their troughs and peaks, though, and a well managed restoration of the bottom end would just blow me the rest of away. Add the model, already!!!

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #3,358 of 4,052
I have a few questions :

- I'm planning on buying a pair of used ESP-950. Is the warranty transferable ?
- The seller is ready to let them go for 350€ (i'm in Europe), price is quite low because he said the right side can occasionally be silent, possibly an issue between the earcup plug and the cable.

If the issue is real, and if I can get the warranty despite not being the first owner, I would have to send them to US for repair, and then getting them back => additional costs and delays.

In my situation, would you go for them or wait for a brand new ESP/95X if there's a new drop ?

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #3,360 of 4,052
I have a few questions :

- I'm planning on buying a pair of used ESP-950. Is the warranty transferable ?
- The seller is ready to let them go for 350€ (i'm in Europe), price is quite low because he said the right side can occasionally be silent, possibly an issue between the earcup plug and the cable.

If the issue is real, and if I can get the warranty despite not being the first owner, I would have to send them to US for repair, and then getting them back => additional costs and delays.

In my situation, would you go for them or wait for a brand new ESP/95X if there's a new drop ?

I've only owned the ESP-95X for a few weeks. Not an expert by any means. Have read both Koss ESP 950 threads here at Head-Fi.

1. The Koss don't appear to have detachable earcup connections. The cable has extra conductors for power. This is probably why they ship with an extension cable.

2. Koss don't technically have transferable warranty. They just don't seem to check who original owner is. Michael Koss Jr. did say on MD that a 95X headphone sent in would have to have the shipped with foam earpads vs a changed out pair of 950 ones the owner was using. So no mods.

3. If owner is saying one side quits, I would believe him. The problem could be in the phones OR the energizer box. Believe all is supposed to be sent in for repairs.

4. Shipping back and forth overseas can be a pain. Does Koss only do repairs in the USA? If so, I would really have to think hard about buying a known problem. Add shipping and Koss fee and this could be more expensive than a new Massdrop set.

5. We have no idea if there will be another drop - ever. Both companies are out of the ordinary and could nix what appears to have been a great sales event for both parties.

The headphones are worth it! Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back