Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 21, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #47,911 of 63,899
I'm not aware of any variations in the TRRS signal arrangement in 2.5mm outputs. It is just as standardized as 4.4mm Pentacon or 4-pin XLR. 3.5mm balanced outputs on the other hand don't have a consolidated standard that I am aware of. (Headphones that use single 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks on the cups for their cable are not standardized on their pin input, and it is not uncommon for them to choose whatever suits the maker, including backward compatibility with non-TRRS, i.e. standard unbalanced TRS cables, such that a headphone with a 2.5mm TRRS jack on a cup would not necessarily work with a straight through 2.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS cable without re-arrangement of the signals from end to end.)

You can buy the Dunu DC-11 adapter or the Fiio BL35 to plug a headphone terminated in a 2.5mm balanced male connector into a 3.5mm unbalanced socket.
Would something like this work or should I be wary because it doesn't specifically mention balanced?
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/nGcLb3uk

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #47,912 of 63,899
3.5mm balanced outputs on the other hand don't have a consolidated standard that I am aware of.

Maybe 3.5mm was what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification!

Sep 21, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #47,913 of 63,899
Been enjoying the ZS6 with foams for a little while now. Got the ZSX out for delivery today and pretty stoked. Might end up being my "endgame" IEMs.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #47,914 of 63,899
Would something like this work or should I be wary because it doesn't specifically mention balanced?
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/nGcLb3uk

I wouldn’t recommend buying any adapter that doesn’t mention balanced, since there is an uncommon form of 2.5mm jack that isn’t balanced (I’ve seen it used on some headsets, so an adapter that doesn’t mention balanced might have a 3.5mm TRRS socket rather than a TRS socket).

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #47,915 of 63,899
Can you post a link for an adapter that would convert a balanced cable (2.5) to unbalanced input (3.5). I’d like to keep a balanced cable on the IEMs but also plug into my phone, some reviews on AE warn they could damage the hardware.

I'd go with the FiiO BL35 (replament for the older L26) - the female balanced connector sticks to the TRRS layout (Astell & Kern, FiiO et.al.) as do most of the balanced stock and replacement headphone cables with 2.5mm connectors on AE and elsewhere (if in doubt just ask the seller).

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-bl35.23230/reviews

(BTW ... one thing to be aware of is to switch OFF any DAC/DAP before you insert any 2.5mm male balanced jack in order not to shorten the output amps - bad idea.)

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #47,918 of 63,899
ED9 with gold filter is my jam too. Its a good rec. ED7 is really an overly bloated bass mess of an IEM imo. Sounded like something you would buy at the checkout line at WALMART to me.

ED7 is one of the few KZs that I don’t own, so I’ve never personally heard it. I do know there are some fans of the ED7. I seem to remember @Otto Motor likes them, but I may have him confused with someone else.

There’s also 2 ED7 versions; a regular and a mini version. Perhaps one is better than the other?

And speaking of Walmart checkout earphones, the ED4 definitely belongs in that category! Actually, the ED4 belongs in the dust bin; it doesn’t even deserve to be in the checkout lane lol

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #47,920 of 63,899
Got my ZSX today! Loving the cyan with the darker metal on them. Fit absolutely fine for me.

Do you guys recommend the foam tips for these? Mine are still on the way.

cheers

I don't know about tips as I usually grab the large star tips. I do recommend trying a different cable. I am using the NiceHCK cheap 16 core copper and it really turns up the bass. More so than any other iem including the ZS10 Pro on the same cable. Just curious if others have cable swapped the ZSX as most reviews stuck with the stock which gives me a thin mid section.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #47,921 of 63,899
I don't know about tips as I usually grab the large star tips. I do recommend trying a different cable. I am using the NiceHCK cheap 16 core copper and it really turns up the bass. More so than any other iem including the ZS10 Pro on the same cable. Just curious if others have cable swapped the ZSX as most reviews stuck with the stock which gives me a thin mid section.

I use the silver upgraded cable that I got for free from KZ store.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #47,922 of 63,899
I'm using a nicehck 8 core copper cable and I think it sounds good. I'm wondering what the best conductive cheap copper cable would be.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #47,923 of 63,899
Got my ZSX today! Loving the cyan with the darker metal on them. Fit absolutely fine for me.

Do you guys recommend the foam tips for these? Mine are still on the way.

cheers
I use dekoni foam tips or the silicone tips that come with the Mh755. I'm using the silicone tips more now just because it's more convenient. Personally I'm not a fan of the stock kz silicone

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #47,924 of 63,899
I wouldn’t recommend buying any adapter that doesn’t mention balanced, since there is an uncommon form of 2.5mm jack that isn’t balanced (I’ve seen it used on some headsets, so an adapter that doesn’t mention balanced might have a 3.5mm TRRS socket rather than a TRS socket).
To bad its already shipped for me. At least it was only a couple bucks. Will it be obvious if it doesn't work? Will I get static or something? Or will it silently destroy my iems lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back