Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 19, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #47,881 of 63,640
Just pulled out the QT2 (using fom tips) and I'm sorry to say, but it still beats all my KZs, including the ZS10 Pro. I haven't tried the ZSX.
More coherent, natural, engaging sound.

Amen, thanks for confirming this.
-Fellow QT2 user

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #47,883 of 63,640
I own it. Not a fan. The ZS10 sounds much nicer. The ZSN sounds good if you like that it sounds off...

I would not like the ZSN if it sounded "off." I like it with the installed tips (not the Starlines in this case). Also I use it with some excellent sources.... and well produced music.

edit: I assume you meant the pretty cable that comes with the purple ZSN so my original reply was meant as a bit of a joke... stating the obvious. Never mind.

BTW, I do not obsess over cables. With most of my gear the stock cables are fine. I only change to different ones if I want to use a balanced output, want a different look, or need better ergonomics.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #47,884 of 63,640
I've heard so many great things about the 9038S but I also read that it really drains the host device's battery. I really want this unit, but the idea of having to buy a special splitter dongle and a power bank, and somehow attach this all to my smartphone, puts me off. Does your V1 version eat up alot of battery on your tablet or smartphone? Do you know if the new version will address this issue?
Yeah, there's a more or less noticeable drain on the battery and since the 2nd gen. 9038s is basically the same design apart from a slow start FET circuit and a 4th IEM safe mode I'm afraid the current drain will be about the same. The sound of that thing is just too good though, but I'll be using both versions at home since the sonic differences to my existing DAPs and DACs would easily get lost on public transport and the like.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #47,885 of 63,640
Yeah, there's a more or less noticeable drain on the battery and since the 2nd gen. 9038s is basically the same design apart from a slow start FET circuit and a 4th IEM safe mode I'm afraid the current drain will be about the same. The sound of that thing is just too good though, but I'll be using both versions at home since the sonic differences to my existing DAPs and DACs would easily get lost on public transport and the like.
Dang! I keep thinking I should just get a used smartphone and connect all this stuff to it for a killer sound experience. I don't wanna use my current main phone for all that. But; by the time I get a used smartphone with a USB audio output, a power bank and the E1DA...I could have bought a decent DAP like a Shanling M5S, Fiio M11, or something else similar. I just dont know what to do right now.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #47,886 of 63,640
Dang! I keep thinking I should just get a used smartphone and connect all this stuff to it for a killer sound experience. I don't wanna use my current main phone for all that. But; by the time I get a used smartphone with a USB audio output, a power bank and the E1DA...I could have bought a decent DAP like a Shanling M5S, Fiio M11, or something else similar. I just dont know what to do right now.[/Q

Why overcomplicate things? A nice DAP with good battery life is a simple solution. Decide on a budget and list what features are and are not important to you. For example, I do not need Bluetooth or wifi but I do need gapless play, plenty of storage capacity, and a good UI. Someone who streams thier music has different needs than I do.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #47,887 of 63,640
Dang! I keep thinking I should just get a used smartphone and connect all this stuff to it for a killer sound experience. I don't wanna use my current main phone for all that. But; by the time I get a used smartphone with a USB audio output, a power bank and the E1DA...I could have bought a decent DAP like a Shanling M5S, Fiio M11, or something else similar. I just dont know what to do right now.
Exactly!
With your dedication to this hobby, get the best DAP which will suit your needs.

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #47,889 of 63,640
I was going to say give the ES100 another chance, but I just looked on Amazon.ca (for the 1st time). Wow, the disparity to the U.S. version is quite surprising.
U.S.: currently has a 15% clippable coupon, net $85 USD
Canada: Zilch, squat, nada. No new units for sale

At least you still have Havana, Club 7 rum

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #47,893 of 63,640

You won't go wrong with the M11, bloody excellent it is.

Very good as a DAP, and as a source for a home system.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #47,894 of 63,640
Just got in the YxxYxx KZ 8 Core Silver Copper Mixed Cable, from Amazon, for my KZ ZS4
Made by KZ for (among other models) the ZS4... NOT!!!
(it does work, in unmolested form. But barely gets a perch)

After surgery

I think I may have voided my return options :angel:

hi,

i've got the same constellation - had already zs3 and zs3e. i've ordered some weeks ago the same upgrade cable on an aliexpress shop - in the meantime i'm complaning/disussing with this shop because the cable fits extremely loose. yeah, it's not a quality issue, it's a design issue by kz or kz just writes wrong compatibility due to their cables.

can anyone recommend an upgrade cable for zs3/zs4 that will really fit 100% ?

br, peter

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #47,895 of 63,640
Dang, that is an impressive piece of kit

Can you post a link for an adapter that would convert a balanced cable (2.5) to unbalanced input (3.5). I’d like to keep a balanced cable on the IEMs but also plug into my phone, some reviews on AE warn they could damage the hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back