Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 19, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #47,852 of 63,801
How much better it is? i wanted a cheapish dac, but not something that is beaten by a integrated smartphone dac
Well I find the G7 to be sound cleaner in all aspect of the sound compared to the sonata, Do NOT underestimate the LGs quad dac it is superior to all other smarthphon dacs. I do not know if there is any cheap dac that is better than the LGs quad dac ( assuming cheap dac means under 150 usd or something for you). I would recommend the Hidizs Ap80 though, that has better sound than the G7. Have not tried the shanling m0 so I can not say anything about that.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #47,854 of 63,801
I used flash mode D only, haven't tried other modes. But it makes a huge difference than normal lowend android phone for me.

I seen good stuff about the tempotec idsd and plus version but currently i have a good enough DAP and DAC so I am waiting for it to be discounted more.

since you mentioned them, Im a bit confused by tempotec idsd and plus version, which one is released first? looks like plus version is released first? definitely confusing when smartphones and gadgets using "plus" to emphasize that they are newer or better version.
and do you have any information about their differences beside the shell? seems like not much information and reviews around for these little gems

How would it compare to something like the G7 Tho?

G7 is still better, I have both. But the sonata is better than a galaxy s8 at least ( my friends s8)

I got LG V40 and Sonata HD and S9+, v40 has more power (with high impedance mode, or even AUX mode), LG phone with neutral characteristic, while Sonata HD like boost up, made everything more lively and crisp, so a bit coloration here, made decay faster, so for iem with fast decay or BA bass sounds drier, but on slow decay iem bass become tighter and faster and nice. Its like steroid effect, but sounds great. Its a bit unnatural, but easy to love tone if you get what i mean. Meanwhile samsung phones still below that two on SQ.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #47,855 of 63,801
since you mentioned them, Im a bit confused by tempotec idsd and plus version, which one is released first? looks like plus version is released first? definitely confusing when smartphones and gadgets using "plus" to emphasize that they are newer or better version.
and do you have any information about their differences beside the shell? seems like not much information and reviews around for these little gems

I don't have both the tempotec IDSD and Plus version, but from reading reviews, the plus is a newer model with balanced output and more power. The normal IDSD has one ES9018K2M DAC chip, but the Plus version has dual ES9018K2M chips. Plus is almost double the price though.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #47,856 of 63,801
I agree on the LGs, I bought a cracked V30+ on eBay, well under $100 and USB Audio Player Pro for playing flac and Tidal MQA. So convenient and sounds better than my s10 and Pixel 3a. I also have the Hidizs sonata version and don't like it as much because it's a bit wonky with UAPP. Sometimes it disconnects randomly and the hardware volume keys dont work. Its probably me or trying to use UAPP in bitperfect but I'd go with a V30/V40.

I got LG V40 and Sonata HD and S9+, v40 has more power (with high impedance mode, or even AUX mode), LG phone with neutral characteristic, while Sonata HD like boost up, made everything more lively and crisp, so a bit coloration here, made decay faster, so for iem with fast decay or BA bass sounds drier, but on slow decay iem bass become tighter and faster and nice. Its like steroid effect, but sounds great. Its a bit unnatural, but easy to love tone if you get what i mean. Meanwhile samsung phones still below that two on SQ.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #47,857 of 63,801
Well I find the G7 to be sound cleaner in all aspect of the sound compared to the sonata, Do NOT underestimate the LGs quad dac it is superior to all other smarthphon dacs. I do not know if there is any cheap dac that is better than the LGs quad dac ( assuming cheap dac means under 150 usd or something for you). I would recommend the Hidizs Ap80 though, that has better sound than the G7. Have not tried the shanling m0 so I can not say anything about that.
Honestly, i can't think they put a 100+ internal DAC on a smartphone, that would seriously be insane and i could even buy one if needed, way cheaper than a DAP XD

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #47,858 of 63,801
I agree on the LGs, I bought a cracked V30+ on eBay, well under $100 and USB Audio Player Pro for playing flac and Tidal MQA. So convenient and sounds better than my s10 and Pixel 3a. I also have the Hidizs sonata version and don't like it as much because it's a bit wonky with UAPP. Sometimes it disconnects randomly and the hardware volume keys dont work. Its probably me or trying to use UAPP in bitperfect but I'd go with a V30/V40.

UAPP is quite buggy - it doesn't even survive a night or several hours of repeated playback of a burn-in track (pink, brown, white noise) of a few seconds duration

also at times I get full loudness static output from it - or most of the time when using the internal DAC in non hi-res mode

SABRE DAC appears to work more reliable when overriding it - but that also sometimes doesn't work.

Talking about LG V30 on AOSP with implemented quad dac toggle.

If you guys want a pure audiophile output - give AINUR NARSIL a try that should strip away most of the pre-processing of sound (might be interesting to try out on stock ROMs),

AINUR SAURON on the opposite enhances, changes the output.

For a EQ give JamesDSP a try (all those modules via Magisk, more than one module needs AML for compatibility).

The KZ AS10 sound quite nice on the V30 but with a corrected impulse response more aligned with harmon curve via vdc file it's even better.

Read here somewhere on head-fi that for the full potential to unlock of the es9218p it needs to be run in high impedance mode to engage all four internally connected quad DACs which are also mentioned there:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com...NFyVJg-IK_ggsyi5VOVvo0aSlJNUUq8sK4QjzP4ogct98

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #47,859 of 63,801
I used flash mode D only, haven't tried other modes. But it makes a huge difference than normal lowend android phone for me.

I seen good stuff about the tempotec idsd and plus version but currently i have a good enough DAP and DAC so I am waiting for it to be discounted more.

I really like my Tempotec Sonata a lot but I recently got the E1DA 9038S USB DAC (2.5mm balanced) and that thing plays in an entirely different league - levels, low-noise and THD, soundstage, details, you name it - I'm blown a-way.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2WHfaJYVmzxs3asa4C2H4Z

The only drawback of this first version are the insane levels that tiny sucker can produce - it can literally fry any low-impedance IEM in an instant if you're not careful, especially with touchscreens; level wise it even seems dangerous enough for some of my full-size cans but soundwise this is as close to end-game as it gets if a clean output is your thing - just study the charts. Anyway, Ivan the dev has just introduced a second gen. 9038s with slow start-up for phones and a fourth IEM safe mode (limited power output) - I'll order one of those as well for my smartphones and use this first one exclusively with my notebook - gotta play it safe with that thing .

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #47,860 of 63,801
I really like my Tempotec Sonata a lot but I recently got the E1DA 9038S USB DAC (2.5mm balanced) and that thing plays in an entirely different league - levels, low-noise and THD, soundstage, details, you name it - I'm blown a-way.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-e1da-9038s-bal-portable-dac-amp.8424/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwje5_Tqrt3kAhUMU1AKHWpEAPAQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2WHfaJYVmzxs3asa4C2H4Z

The only drawback of this first version are the insane levels that tiny sucker can produce - it can literally fry any low-impedance IEM in an instant if you're not careful, especially with touchscreens; level wise it even seems dangerous enough for some of my full-size cans but soundwise this is as close to end-game as it gets if a clean output is your thing - just study the charts. Anyway, Ivan the dev has just introduced a second gen. 9038s with slow start-up for phones and a fourth IEM safe mode (limited power output) - I'll order one of those as well for my smartphones and use this first one exclusively with my notebook - gotta play it safe with that thing .
I've been looking at one of those myself. So you think it's worth it (if I get the new generation)? I still can't figure out what the difference is between this and his PowerDAC.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #47,861 of 63,801
I've been looking at one of those myself. So you think it's worth it (if I get the new generation)? I still can't figure out what the difference is between this and his PowerDAC.
More than worth it, a bl@@dy steal IMO, especially the newer, 2nd gen., just study those charts in the link and check where they place that thing in their data based ranking list.
The main differences between the 9038s and the Power-DAC apart from the housing, USB connector, power consumption is the processing of the signals:

9038S: DAC + amplifier (output impedance <0.1Ohm)

Power DAC: USB jitter interface > PWM modulator > feedback-less power stage with 36 ultra-fast logical gates followed by a LC low-pass (output impedance around 1.5 Ohm (from the top of my head))

The Power DAC can be controlled via Bluetooth and there are apps (Apple, Android) with 7-band parametric EQ, presets, etc ...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #47,862 of 63,801
Just pulled out the QT2 (using fom tips) and I'm sorry to say, but it still beats all my KZs, including the ZS10 Pro. I haven't tried the ZSX.
More coherent, natural, engaging sound.
You made me pull out my QT2 and QT5, love both QT2 is energetic but QT5 is more easy going. Now I don't know what one I like most

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #47,863 of 63,801
You made me pull out my QT2 and QT5, love both QT2 is energetic but QT5 is more easy going. Now I don't know what one I like most

Man I can just hear that Drewish princes singing now? "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen":wink: I'm thinking one could have a lot worse problems:scream:

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #47,864 of 63,801
Come to stink of it that actually may be spelled "Druish":rolling_eyes:

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #47,865 of 63,801
UAPP is quite buggy - it doesn't even survive a night or several hours of repeated playback of a burn-in track (pink, brown, white noise) of a few seconds duration

also at times I get full loudness static output from it - or most of the time when using the internal DAC in non hi-res mode

SABRE DAC appears to work more reliable when overriding it - but that also sometimes doesn't work.

Talking about LG V30 on AOSP with implemented quad dac toggle.

If you guys want a pure audiophile output - give AINUR NARSIL a try that should strip away most of the pre-processing of sound (might be interesting to try out on stock ROMs),

AINUR SAURON on the opposite enhances, changes the output.

For a EQ give JamesDSP a try (all those modules via Magisk, more than one module needs AML for compatibility).

The KZ AS10 sound quite nice on the V30 but with a corrected impulse response more aligned with harmon curve via vdc file it's even better.

Read here somewhere on head-fi that for the full potential to unlock of the es9218p it needs to be run in high impedance mode to engage all four internally connected quad DACs which are also mentioned there:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com...NFyVJg-IK_ggsyi5VOVvo0aSlJNUUq8sK4QjzP4ogct98

Totally agree with this. Narsil is a fantastic mod works great with devices with flagship internal specs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back