Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 15, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #47,732 of 63,907
pp
I was thinking more on a simpler way. Because a balanced cable don't share common ground. So both + and - on left and right you need a thicker cable.

I have a Fiio M9 with balanced out.

I will look on the net for the adapter that would be a great solution.
each side of the iem only receives 2 signals, positive and ground/negative (single-ended/balanced). so the number of cores required is the same on both modes, regardless of they are soldered to same jack contact (shared ground) or not.

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #47,733 of 63,907
I have not tried this yet myself but I have seen other people mention gently heating the preformed ear hooks with a hair drying and then shaping them how you want. I would probably NOT try this with the cable attached to the earpieces.
You can get a soft cable with no preformed hooks, and just drape it over your ear if the hooks are causing trouble

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #47,734 of 63,907
You can get a soft cable with no preformed hooks, and just drape it over your ear if the hooks are causing trouble

Personally I hate just draping them over my ear. They just get tangled up in my hair plus I find it much more difficult to put on than with the hook. I like the preformed hooks if they are shaped properly...or not too tight.

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #47,735 of 63,907
I get the opposite effect after burning in the C12 for more than 100 hours and the ZSX roughly over 35 hours...

With the C12, and using the star line ear tips the sound is balanced with no metallic sound and truly balanced range with plenty of details and non-fatiguing sound that also shows great sonic improvement. I really due like the ZSX, but because of the bulky housing (might not be for everyone) and the way the placement of drivers are placed in their housing, I do still hear a metallic-like signature creep-up once in a while. So, it helps using the star line ear tips as well smoothing out the whole signature, but at the same time, ironically it does lose some clean details in the 2-5khz register, while the C12 presents it perfectly.

So, I have it like this...

If you purchased the C12:
The default ear tips has a bit of an upper range 2-5khz that can easily be fixed by swapping to the star line ear tips for an enriched and perfectly balanced non-metallic sound signature.

If you purchased the ZSX:
The default ear tips might be the best way to go by making sure they are pushed all the way into the nozzle itself, so when you finally wear them you get a very similar balanced sound signature, but as I said before, because of the way the drivers are placed in the housing, you might still get some metallic sound creep-up at you. So, best bet is to use the star line ear tips to smooth out the slight metallic sound for an enjoyable experience even though you'll experience a more distant midrange giving them almost a slight V-shape effect.

Lastly, on the positive side they both demonstrate incredible improvements on their drivers, sound, and appearance, while listening to a non-harsh and non-sibilant experience.

I'll express more details later in the week...

-Clear
So I tried the C12 with the starline tips and you are right. It brings the 2-5khz range down just enough to be in the tolerable range, giving it an overall better feeling of clarity. I still think it might be too foward for some, it's a much more exciting and engaging sound compared to the more relaxed ZSX. I still think the ZSX has a wider soundstage, and maybe a bit better separation. I would say the C12 is a direct upgrade to the ZS10 Pro and the ZSX targets a slightly different sound. ZSX for longer listening sessions, C12 for shorter more engaging sessions. Overall I still prefer the ZSX, it hurts my ears less lol

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #47,736 of 63,907
Finally took the plunge with the zsx and glad I did. In a word I can't believe I'm saying this but better! Definitely more soundstage on the zsx and I feel better seperation (I was expecting a bit of a mess tbh) where the T3's still trump imo is the more natural timbre, there's still a slight steely sound on the KZ's and male vocals have a slightly more natural feel.
I think KZ has trademarked the steely sounding iem. I haven't heard another brand like it!

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #47,737 of 63,907
I have the ZSX and my favourite KZ up to now has been the ZS7. But I have to say, even though it's early days, the ZSX is an improved version of the ZS7 with more resolution, a more extended treble and a wonderful soundstage. CCA C12 is more open and brighter which gives the impression of more detail and mid bass is not as pronounced as the ZSX so makes the C12 sound more balanced. ZSX sounds slightly warmer in tone and not fatiguing like the ZS10 Pro. I'm using stock cable and starline tips on both of them. I am enjoying both so far and I am not sure which I prefer!

I was afraid comments like this would surface... ZS7 has been my fav, must... resist...

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #47,738 of 63,907
Sep 15, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #47,739 of 63,907
U don't even need to take out your wallet nowadays LOL
True, dat! But since I keep my plastic in my wallet...gotta keep pulling it out to buy more stuff on Aliexpress. No such problem on Amazon. Just don't wanna permanently register my credit card info on Ali, because they are overseas and I don't wanna have to deal with foreign laws if my financial info gets hacked.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #47,740 of 63,907
True, dat! But since I keep my plastic in my wallet...gotta keep pulling it out to buy more stuff on Aliexpress. No such problem on Amazon. Just don't wanna permanently register my credit card info on Ali, because they are overseas and I don't wanna have to deal with foreign laws if my financial info gets hacked.

Paypal?

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #47,741 of 63,907
Yeah, that's another option, but I don't like how long it takes to do transfers from my bank account, and that not all sellers accept it. I use a reloadable Mastercard for all my online purchases. I load that card each month at one of my financial institutions (with no fees), and that's what I can spend. Any online payments are made immediately and securely. It's much faster than PayPal and accepted worldwide at any store or website.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #47,742 of 63,907
I have to send my ZS10 Pro's back because the audio keeps cutting out. I actually think it's the jack that plugs into my iPod because sometimes if I tap it the sound will come back on.
I thought it was google play cutting out, but after going back & forth between my ZS10 Pro's and an old Sony pair it's definitely the ZS10 Pro's cutting out, but again I think it's just the cord jack......not positive though.

So my question.........out of all the new KZ's & CCA's which one is the smallest & lightest, or which one fits smaller ears the best?
The ZS10 Pro fit pretty good (a little heavy but spinfits helped them to stay more snug), & they sound great, so I'll probably just order another pair unless one of the other's is smaller, lighter, or is known to fit smaller ears better.

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #47,743 of 63,907
I have to send my ZS10 Pro's back because the audio keeps cutting out. I actually think it's the jack that plugs into my iPod because sometimes if I tap it the sound will come back on.
I thought it was google play cutting out, but after going back & forth between my ZS10 Pro's and an old Sony pair it's definitely the ZS10 Pro's cutting out, but again I think it's just the cord jack......not positive though.

So my question.........out of all the new KZ's & CCA's which one is the smallest & lightest, or which one fits smaller ears the best?
The ZS10 Pro fit pretty good (a little heavy but spinfits helped them to stay more snug), & they sound great, so I'll probably just order another pair unless one of the other's is smaller, lighter, or is known to fit smaller ears better.

U tried a different cable with your zs10 pro?
(Sounds like a cable issue) (no pun intended)

I don't have the zsx but from feedback and visually looking online it appears bigger in shell size than the zs10 pro.

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #47,744 of 63,907
So I tried the C12 with the starline tips and you are right. It brings the 2-5khz range down just enough to be in the tolerable range, giving it an overall better feeling of clarity. I still think it might be too foward for some, it's a much more exciting and engaging sound compared to the more relaxed ZSX. I still think the ZSX has a wider soundstage, and maybe a bit better separation. I would say the C12 is a direct upgrade to the ZS10 Pro and the ZSX targets a slightly different sound. ZSX for longer listening sessions, C12 for shorter more engaging sessions. Overall I still prefer the ZSX, it hurts my ears less lol
Overall, I think both are great! That's why I personally have both. Love the C12, but I can't do without the ZSX as well. Both are my budget kings, if you ask me!
So far, after burning both in past 100 hours, I can honestly say that both KZ and CCA did a very good job on getting rid of that annoying metallic sound. In the end, they sound very organic and natural and slightly different from each other, IMHO.

Budget kings? :punch::nerd: ...maybe?

-Clear

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #47,745 of 63,907
U tried a different cable with your zs10 pro?
(Sounds like a cable issue) (no pun intended)

I don't have the zsx but from feedback and visually looking online it appears bigger in shell size than the zs10 pro.
I don't own another cable that would fit. Luckily I still have time to return to Amazon & get a new pair. I'd gladly just exchange them, but I guess Amazon only does returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back