Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 15, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #47,702 of 63,916
I get the opposite effect after burning in the C12 for more than 100 hours and the ZSX roughly over 35 hours...

With the C12, and using the star line ear tips the sound is balanced with no metallic sound and truly balanced range with plenty of details and non-fatiguing sound that also shows great sonic improvement. I really due like the ZSX, but because of the bulky housing (might not be for everyone) and the way the placement of drivers are placed in their housing, I do still hear a metallic-like signature creep-up once in a while. So, it helps using the star line ear tips as well smoothing out the whole signature, but at the same time, ironically it does lose some clean details in the 2-5khz register, while the C12 presents it perfectly.

So, I have it like this...

If you purchased the C12:
The default ear tips has a bit of an upper range 2-5khz that can easily be fixed by swapping to the star line ear tips for an enriched and perfectly balanced non-metallic sound signature.

If you purchased the ZSX:
The default ear tips might be the best way to go by making sure they are pushed all the way into the nozzle itself, so when you finally wear them you get a very similar balanced sound signature, but as I said before, because of the way the drivers are placed in the housing, you might still get some metallic sound creep-up at you. So, best bet is to use the star line ear tips to smooth out the slight metallic sound for an enjoyable experience even though you'll experience a more distant midrange giving them almost a slight V-shape effect.

Lastly, on the positive side they both demonstrate incredible improvements on their drivers, sound, and appearance, while listening to a non-harsh and non-sibilant experience.

I'll express more details later in the week...

-Clear

Ahhh was just about to tuck into the zsx lol the joys of head fi by its nature always contrary impressions
Would you say the burn in made a significant difference what method of burn in you using (pink noise, sweeps etc)?. I know each IEM has a different burn in 'sensitivity' but these share essentially the same components. You seem to be one of the few out there shares an appreciation for the starline on kz/cca, wonder if it might be a small ear thing, get better deaper more comfortable insert if got small ear canals? Those with big lug wholes maybe need a foamy.
Good run down from a good bit of experience. More to procrastinate over for me me thinks Dev

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #47,703 of 63,916
Well, I ended up ordering the ZSX and they arrived today! And I'll get to what my impressions are of them vs the ZS10 Pro soon (Spoilers: they're fantastic and definitely an upgrade imo) but first I wanted to ask for some assistance with getting these things comfortable in my ears. I think I need to somehow adjust the bend in the ear hook. I swappedo over the KZ 8 core upgrade cable ive been using on the ZS10 and started using them on the ZSX, and i started getting this ache in my ears rather quickly and feeling like i wasn't getting a good seal either. I became concerned. And then after some fiddling around with them a bit i realized it was the ear hooks! Despite them being perfectly comfortable with how i wear the ZS10 Pro's, they feel all wrong in the position where the ZSX sits comfortably in my ears. Soon as i took the hooks down from the back of my ears, it felt like everything just fell perfectly in place! The ZSX felt comfortable again and i could immediately tell I was getting a better seal too. Somehow i need to adjust the bend in these hooks significantly. Feels like theyre pulling the bottom of the IEMs out of my ear, and causing that hump on the back of the ZSX to dig into the concha of my ear. I vaguely remember someone mentioning in here at some point that there was a safe way to reshape the hooks, but I can't seem to remember where.

I'm using a nicehck cable and if I'm using foam tips the hump on the back doesnt touch my ear at all, and if I'm using silicone it only lightly rests on my ear. The hooks on my cable are just one of those memory shrink tube rubber things, there isn't a wire or really anything to reshape

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #47,704 of 63,916
Has anyone tried an impedance adapter for zsx? Does it make it significantly worse?

I'm using the IFI Ear Buddy. I don't notice any quality degradation with it. In fact, it helps at reducing noise in those adapters where noise is noticeable.

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #47,706 of 63,916
Hi everybody,
There's a lot of hype at Russian audiophile forums about KZ ZSx. They say it's a class higher/way better than ZS7. Can anybody prove/disapprove it?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #47,707 of 63,916
Hi everybody,
There's a lot of hype at Russian audiophile forums about KZ ZSx. They say it's a class higher/way better than ZS7. Can anybody prove/disapprove it?

They are clearly better than zs7 yes

Sep 15, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #47,708 of 63,916
Hi everybody,
I have the ZSX and my favourite KZ up to now has been the ZS7. But I have to say, even though it's early days, the ZSX is an improved version of the ZS7 with more resolution, a more extended treble and a wonderful soundstage. CCA C12 is more open and brighter which gives the impression of more detail and mid bass is not as pronounced as the ZSX so makes the C12 sound more balanced. ZSX sounds slightly warmer in tone and not fatiguing like the ZS10 Pro. I'm using stock cable and starline tips on both of them. I am enjoying both so far and I am not sure which I prefer!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #47,709 of 63,916
I have the ZSX and my favourite KZ up to now has been the ZS7. But I have to say, even though it's early days, the ZSX is an improved version of the ZS7 with more resolution, a more extended treble and a wonderful soundstage. CCA C12 is more open and brighter which gives the impression of more detail and mid bass is not as pronounced as the ZSX so makes the C12 sound more balanced. I'm using stock cable and starline tips on both of them. I am enjoying both so far and I am not sure which I prefer!
I've almost always ended up agreeing with your impressions, Nimweth. AKA: very much looking forward to the C12

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #47,710 of 63,916
Hi, can someone please compare passive noise isolation on ZS10 Pro vs AS12 vs ZSX?

I use ZS10 Pro with Spinfit CP145 S tips right now and although the fit is tight, I am not very happy with their isolation. It seems that the reason is the air vents for the dynamic driver? AS12 is all BA, so there shouldn't be any need for air vents, and although ZSX has a dynamic driver, I don't see any vents on their back shell in the photos.

Also would love to hear how AS12 does in terms of bass. I used to have Ultimate Ears 600 before, and they isolated really well, but I didn't like that the bass was pretty much non-existent, as they have just a single BA driver. Obviously, AS12 should be much better as it has dedicated bass drivers, but is it on par with ZS10 Pro or ZSX?

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #47,711 of 63,916
Sep 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #47,712 of 63,916
Does anybody own TFZ MyLove Edition and KZ ZSX to compare them "back to back"? (What is the correct way of saying this in English? Word per word translation in Russian is "forehead to forehead", ha-ha )
3 days ago I received TFZ MyLove Edition and my faves ZS7 are now second best after TFZ in out-of-doors condition.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #47,713 of 63,916
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread.676402/ ?

the problem is that the cables from your links don't use C-type termination (zsn, zsn pro, zs10 pro). you can use them, but the connection won't be as short, tight, and safe than when using C-type (specially the two first ones, which have protruding 2pins termination). the cables from the links i provided allow C-type termination.
to know which cables from my lists allow C-type terminations, check for word "tC" at cables for KZs sections.

jcally cables use QDC polarization (inverse of KZs). as both sides (left and right) use same polarization, there are not out-of-phase issues, no sound issues.
you could get problems if the components used into the iem were polarized components. but the resistors and capacitors used in the crossover of KZ iems atm are not polarized. so you are safe with these cables.

Just wanna thank you for the comprehensive and detailed information on so many cables.

Do you have any experience with KB Ear cables?
I am looking for balanced for the KZ ZSX. So I belive its qdc... But I have some other KZ items so maybe it's easier to buy the two pin version?

KBEAR 16 Core Upgraded Silver Plated Balanced Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4MM With MMCX/2pin/QDC Connector For KZ ZS10 Pro AS10 AS16 ZSN ZSX
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sMrQQIa8

KBEAR 8 Core Upgraded Silver Plated Balanced Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4MM With MMCX/2pin/QDC Connector For KZ ZS10 ZSN Pro AS12 AS16 ZSX
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/s5PeRByU

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #47,714 of 63,916
Just wanna thank you for the comprehensive and detailed information on so many cables.

Do you have any experience with KB Ear cables?
I am looking for balanced for the KZ ZSR. So I belive its qdc... But I have some other KZ items so maybe it's easier to buy the two pin version?

KBEAR 16 Core Upgraded Silver Plated Balanced Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4MM With MMCX/2pin/QDC Connector For KZ ZS10 Pro AS10 AS16 ZSN ZSX
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sMrQQIa8
i've not tried kbear cables yet. they look ok to me.
do you mean kz zsx? if so, qdc connector would be the right one, or flush (not much protruding) 2pin.
if you mean kz zsr, 2pin (flush or protruding)

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #47,715 of 63,916
i've not tried kbear cables yet. they look ok to me.
do you mean kz zsx? if so, qdc connector would be the right one, or flush (not much protruding) 2pin.
if you mean kz zsr, 2pin (flush or protruding)
Yeah Sorry typo it's the ZSX. But I also have the Zs10 and AS10. So would be nice to swap.
QDC won't fit to ZS10 and AS10.?
And two pin is not flush on ZSX but are on ZS and As?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back