Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 28, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #47,176 of 63,836
So there's no reason to get ZSN Pro if you already have a ZS10 Pro? (No reason other than cost).
ZSN pro has a better DD with a bit more extended and a bit punchy lows.
Pro is a more V-shape. To me its an improvement, though a moderate one. I personally prefer warmer CCA CA4 from the same family :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #47,177 of 63,836
Thanks
One last question, what about the ZS5? Are they better than ZSN pro for details and mids ir the bass is too bleeding?
I find the PRO's just fine with little to no bleeding at all boasting a very strong and stable sound signature. They have better control throughout the whole sound range and spectrum when compared to the ZS5. I find them more pristine and mature sounding as well. Don't get me wrong, I still like the slight laid-back signature of the ZS5, but the PRO's just takes every song to another level with livelier details and musicality., IMHO.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #47,178 of 63,836
2 dead KZs, what luck. Maybe you need fixed cable IEMs. Eardio.com has legit Sony MH755 IEMs for $8 and older Denon AH-C700 IEMs for $25.
Yes I only use MH750 now.

HOLYMOLY, yeah, thats probably a broken adapter...
Why dont you tried in the OTHER SIDE of the same IEM so you dont ruin 2 of them?

I bought more than 10 of these, never had a similar problem.
Yes I tried in other cables and other sides and it was permanently damaged. It is still decent sounding but it's too low in volume I think an amplifier was destroyed or something. It's such a shame, they weren't the best fitting, kinda heavy and the smooth nozzle sucked but it was a nice sounding IEM. Same with ZS3. Probably a fuse or something but the MH755 sound better anyway and it's easier to use them.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #47,179 of 63,836
I was thinking of getting the Pro but even though the ZSN is my fave it sounds metallic for some reason. :frowning2:

Does the ZSN Pro sound metallic at all?
I know what you mean, since I have both. :thinking: I think the KZ company thought the same thing by eliminating most of that metallic sound especially at higher volumes where the original ZSN's just sounded too splashy as well. So, even though I like both, the KZ company pretty much fixed that little issue by introducing the PRO's.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #47,181 of 63,836
Today I was tip-rolling and I've found out the ZS10 Pro and JVC Spiral Dots to be a bit shouty and like some people say "steely" compared to smaller bore tips, it's like high-peaks get a bit uncontrolled.
However, I do really enjoy the increase in wideness aspect that JVC tips help to bring. For my luck, while reading the forum I spotted the james444's signature which has some cool mods and I came across with his DUNU 2000J Blu-Tack mod.

It's interesting, the design choice from DUNU for this model is similar to KZ in putting a BA in the nozzle which I do believe is the main reason to create an artificial-ish timbre at higher volumes since they can get a bit shouty without proper damping. This mod seems to fix this extra "steely" tonality to me and it is rather easy to do. Btw, james444 isn't joking when he says to pinch off the smallest piece of Blu-Tack, my smallest piece of Blu-tack ended up being way too much.

My goal was to make the nozzle grill looks like a watch, with a mini-screwdriver it helps a lot to adjust it to the center.

zs102.jpg

I can say IMO the timbre gets more organic, the peaks get better controlled so I perceive it as more correct sound, really enjoying it! Also, if you don't like the result, it's even easier to undo it.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #47,182 of 63,836
Today I was tip-rolling and I've found out the ZS10 Pro and JVC Spiral Dots to be a bit shouty and like some people say "steely" compared to smaller bore tips, it's like high-peaks get a bit uncontrolled.
However, I do really enjoy the increase in wideness aspect that JVC tips help to bring. For my luck, while reading the forum I spotted the james444's signature which has some cool mods and I came across with his DUNU 2000J Blu-Tack mod.

It's interesting, the design choice from DUNU for this model is similar to KZ in putting a BA in the nozzle which I do believe is the main reason to create an artificial-ish timbre at higher volumes since they can get a bit shouty without proper damping. This mod seems to fix this extra "steely" tonality to me and it is rather easy to do. Btw, james444 isn't joking when he says to pinch off the smallest piece of Blu-Tack, my smallest piece of Blu-tack ended up being way too much.

My goal was to make the nozzle grill looks like a watch, with a mini-screwdriver it helps a lot to adjust it to the center.

I can say IMO the timbre gets more organic, the peaks get better controlled so I perceive it as more correct sound, really enjoying it! Also, if you don't like the result, it's even easier to undo it.

if you want to use wide bores with the ZS10 Pro, try the Whirlwind tips

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #47,183 of 63,836
if you want to use wide bores with the ZS10 Pro, try the Whirlwind tips

Thanks for the suggestion! I did try it (Tennmak ones) but I got a better synergy with JVC ones (modded to hybrid in my case). I'd guess the Tennmak has a softer material and the seal somewhere leaks a bit causing a slightly bass roll-off because it sounds leaner compared to JVC and that makes it "less" fun to me.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #47,184 of 63,836
Thanks for the suggestion! I did try it (Tennmak ones) but I got a better synergy with JVC ones (modded to hybrid in my case). I'd guess the Tennmak has a softer material and the seal somewhere leaks a bit causing a slightly bass roll-off because it sounds leaner compared to JVC and that makes it "less" fun to me.

try to "fillet" them (removing the inner ribs with small scissors). i also feel using it with the ribs intact would sound too airy, decrease bass and introduce a crinkly sound similar to driver flex.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #47,185 of 63,836
This is very interesting to me, as I am thinking of purchasing my first mobile AMP / DAC equipment. I don't need wireless capability, though, and am using an 'obsolete' iPod Touch Gen 4 at the moment.

The ES100 sounds highly-rated. But it may be overly complex for my needs. Is there something you would recommend (particularly on Amazon.ca) as a basic wired DAC/AMP for iPod / iPad?
If you had asked me a year ago, I would've recd the Fiio Q1MK2. But now, I see that it's using an AK4452-3 dac, which imho, is a downgrade to the 4490 that they were previously using. They aren't even using 2 per channel, in a true balanced fashion. Best bet right now, is the Radstone Earsonics ES100, or the new E1DA dac/amp dongle. The E1DA is possibly the best sounding dac/amp dongle on the market right now, but it's power hungry and needs a USB splitter cable (which is currently shipping with it) and also a USB power bank to power it and your smartphone. It will make for a bigger stack, and you will have to take into consideration that the power bank you choose will need alot more time to recharge...even if it has a fast Quick Charge feature. Usually around 7-10 hours. E1DA is probably the best sounding choice, but it will require a big battery/power source to make it work. Other than that, I'd say maybe a Fiio Q5 or Q5S dac/amp. Around $350 US, so still not inexpensive.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #47,186 of 63,836
I find the PRO's just fine with little to no bleeding at all boasting a very strong and stable sound signature. They have better control throughout the whole sound range and spectrum when compared to the ZS5. I find them more pristine and mature sounding as well. Don't get me wrong, I still like the slight laid-back signature of the ZS5, but the PRO's just takes every song to another level with livelier details and musicality., IMHO.

Kz Zsn pro ordered :)
They will be my Fall/Winter iem

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #47,187 of 63,836
I have liked ZSN Pro so far, but as soon as I received the ZS10 Pro some days later I felt that they really deserved being one of my fav IEMs.
They're really superior in terms of overall signature and performance.

On the other hand, I do not use them anymore now, but that's just because there are IEMs which are more "easy-going" for everyday use.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #47,188 of 63,836
Kz Zsn pro ordered :)
They will be my Fall/Winter iem

Haha many of us have said the same thing and ended up having a whole collection of pokemon KZs within a few months.
11/11 is coming you know =)

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #47,189 of 63,836
Yes, graphs are at different scale ... and that's all. Frequency response looks totaly same.

Blue, CCA C12, green Terminator... but according to that the CCA has nothing over 10k:
upload_2019-8-29_11-3-27.png

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #47,190 of 63,836
Yes I only use MH750 now.

Yes I tried in other cables and other sides and it was permanently damaged. It is still decent sounding but it's too low in volume I think an amplifier was destroyed or something. It's such a shame, they weren't the best fitting, kinda heavy and the smooth nozzle sucked but it was a nice sounding IEM. Same with ZS3. Probably a fuse or something but the MH755 sound better anyway and it's easier to use them.

Thats not what I meant...

But, when one side was broken, to try the adapter in the OTHER SIDE instead of OTHER IEM... that way you would kave 1 IEM with 2 sides broklen instead of 2 IEMS qith 1 side broken each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back