Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 11, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #45,151 of 63,935
Is there a kz with better/stronger bass than the zs7? Ignoring everything else.

ZS4, ZS3E, ZS1 v1 are pretty much the most basshead stuff KZ makes.

Remember that tips and seal make a huge difference to bass. Most KZs are bassy, but if you don’t have a deep or tight enough seal they won’t be powerful enough.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #45,154 of 63,935
does anyone know how often KZ release a new model? I’m wondering how good a ZS11 Pro would sound :)

Models get refreshed about every 18 months.

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #45,155 of 63,935
ZS4, ZS3E, ZS1 v1 are pretty much the most basshead stuff KZ makes.

Remember that tips and seal make a huge difference to bass. Most KZs are bassy, but if you don’t have a deep or tight enough seal they won’t be powerful enough.
Thanks, I use newbee foam tips so the Seal should be good

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #45,157 of 63,935
Cool, thanks Slater. I'm guessing the 10 Pro hasn't been out long.

About 2-3 months.

And there’s no guarantee of that 18 month thing. That’s just been my observation based on their historical model release schedule.

There’s also exceptions. It depends on many things, including how well a model sells, other competing models, their product direction, costs, target market, etc.

For example, there is no ED10. It’s just the same ED9 they’ve been selling for years. The ED9 did get a new driver a while ago, but KZ never said anything, and it is still sold as the ED9, and it was a lot longer than 18 months from the original release.

So bottom line is don’t hold your breath or get your hopes up that by somehow by Christmas there’s gonna be a magical ZS11 Pro. It’s not like Apple or Toyota, where there’s an assurance of a a yearly release. KZ does whatever KZ wants, how they want, when they want.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #45,159 of 63,935
Actually, you could have just poked through the existing vent with a sewing needle. It would have been more accurate. The reason is these vents have a while filter adhered from the inside (like micropore tape).

You can actually see this on any transparent-bodied IEM like the KZ ZSR, ZST, ZSN, ZS10 Pro, CCA C10, etc.

Anyways, that filter restricts the air flow, effectively making the vent hole about 50% ‘smaller’. So if you poke through the white filter, you will in effect make the vent hole ‘bigger’, without actually enlarging the hole.

A very small hole is all that’s needed. For example, I make most nozzle vent holes 0.2 or 0.4mm, which makes a noticeable difference in the bass. Judging from the photo you posted, I estimate the hole you made is about 1.5mm (based on the hole’s size in comparison to an individual wire in the KZ upgrade cable).

I’m glad you liked the result of the mod; that’s all that really matters.

I cringe at the thought of all the aluminum shavings that might have fallen down inside that hole, because the dynamic driver is directly below. The metal shavings and chips will bouncing around on the fragile surface of the dynamic driver’s diaphragm. Whether or not you’ll be able to hear that remains to be seen.

When I drill the vent holes, I am able to extract all shavings and chips as I go, ensuring none end up inside. It’s taken me many tries to perfect my technique though.

Haha, ofcourse. Like you mention this might be cringe inducing. I only did this because I was already in state willing to sell them off for cheaper.

But I will keep your advice in mind next time I try something like this. If its any assurance, the shavings actually came outward. I was twisting the scissors in a way that thin metal strands were popping out. It was because I was using the sharp side on a slight angle to do it.

But now that I've done this. I'm not planning on selling again. Although I could have done a better job by making the hole like you mention.

After doing this I don't get that feeling that the bass is going to eat me alive on certain tracks and is less congested. Giving the treble more room to shine. Overall a good deal to me.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #45,160 of 63,935
Thanks, I use newbee foam tips so the Seal should be good

Yeah, foam tips seal in the bass, but you have to replace them a lot. I remember during CanJam RMAF 2014 a lady at the Comply booth helped me out in finding ear tips for my repaired JVC FX700 and they worked great at sealing the bass, but got smelly from my ear wax. I tried rubbing medical-grade hand sanitzer foam and the Complys literally disintegrated bit-by-bit down to the nozzle grip nubs.

Yeah, so the latest ear tip craze for me is the KZ starline flip-tip-mod by @Slater and it is even easier to clean, so I can hear clean bass even longer! :)

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #45,161 of 63,935
OK, new question :)
What's the warmest single dynamic front vented IEM? I'm not really into hybrids or BA. I just like a natural musical sound with a bit of punch / fun / non-fatiguing / full-bodied low mids, Similar to SoundMagic E10 or Shure SE215.
It can be anything else under 50$, not strictly KZ. And I promise I'll end my off-topic here. Remember, it has to have a front vent hole.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #45,164 of 63,935
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #45,165 of 63,935
i'm past the shiny new stage with the zs7 and would opine they're probably the best kz yet--i slightly prefer them to the zs10 pro. they don't play in the same league as the moondrop kp or toneking 9tail, but the difference is less than the price would suggest.
I guess that's why I haven't purchased anything in that 100-200€ price range for a while. I've said it before but with many good recordings my older, grey ZS6 are perceptually transparent to me most of the time. In those moments there's nothing left to be desired and I couldn't care less if there are technically better IEMs out there. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to auditioning some TOTL IEMs on the mainland in a couple weeks from now, but either I find something that literally blows me a-way right on the spot or my money goes elsewhere and I enjoy my chi-fis and xy cans for another while.
As to the ZS7 ... I love them to bits but ...

Actually, you could have just poked through the existing vent with a sewing needle. It would have been more accurate. The reason is these vents have a while filter adhered from the inside (like micropore tape).

You can actually see this on any transparent-bodied IEM like the KZ ZSR, ZST, ZSN, ZS10 Pro, CCA C10, etc.

Anyways, that filter restricts the air flow, effectively making the vent hole about 50% ‘smaller’. So if you poke through the white filter, you will in effect make the vent hole ‘bigger’, without actually enlarging the hole.

A very small hole is all that’s needed. For example, I make most nozzle vent holes 0.2 or 0.4mm, which makes a noticeable difference in the bass. Judging from the photo you posted, I estimate the hole you made is about 1.5mm (based on the hole’s size in comparison to an individual wire in the KZ upgrade cable).

I’m glad you liked the result of the mod; that’s all that really matters.

I cringe at the thought of all the aluminum shavings that might have fallen down inside that hole, because the dynamic driver is directly below. The metal shavings and chips will bouncing around on the fragile surface of the dynamic driver’s diaphragm. Whether or not you’ll be able to hear that remains to be seen.

When I drill the vent holes, I am able to extract all shavings and chips as I go, ensuring none end up inside. It’s taken me many tries to perfect my technique though.

... I've had some issues with driver flex on the left earpiece and used a piece of pretty stiff #32 gauge (0,202mm) kanthal wire to open up both front vents in order to keep things balanced. I listened to a trusty test track directly before and after this little operation but couldn't make out any sonic differences; the sub-bass still kicks like a mule but now that driver flex is history.

Edit: like @Slater has mentioned: the 10mm DD sits directly behind that vent hole so in order not to mess up the membrane I used some needle pliers to hold that piece of wire so that only about 3,5mm would stick out - enough to do the trick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back