Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #45,167 of 63,836
OK, new question :)
What's the warmest single dynamic front vented IEM? I'm not really into hybrids or BA. I just like a natural musical sound with a bit of punch / fun / non-fatiguing / full-bodied low mids, Similar to SoundMagic E10 or Shure SE215.
It can be anything else under 50$, not strictly KZ. And I promise I'll end my off-topic here. Remember, it has to have a front vent hole.
The KZ 1+1 setups have extremely similar frequency response graphs to SE215. See rtings.com graph comparison tool and try SE215 vs. ZSN ( https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#635/2061/809 ). That, though, doesn't address BA timbre and coherence and whatnot (I'm still on the fence about whether it exists or is it just all in the signature and distortion levels. I do like deconstructionism and reductionism. Indeed.).

Are those front vents large enough to release the pressure to the ear canal? I'm trying to avoid that claustrophobic sensation / "hearing my steps" that I get with my Shure SE215. I don't have such problem with the SoundMagic E10 which has a 1mm front vent (by eye) :)
I'm not comfortable with enlarging any holes / don't want to mess the sound. In fact I like how my SoundMagic E10 sounds very much. I don't know why I'm looking for another IEM... But, you know how it is... :)
I just bought SE215 on AliExpress for 20$ (hooray for patent infringement! I did ask for one without the Shure logo) exactly because I'm aiming for max isolation and claustrophobia. If I can't hear my veins pulsating in an office environment then I'm not nearly there yet! To each one's own, I guess :D

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #45,168 of 63,836
ZS4, ZS3E, ZS1 v1 are pretty much the most basshead stuff KZ makes.

Remember that tips and seal make a huge difference to bass. Most KZs are bassy, but if you don’t have a deep or tight enough seal they won’t be powerful enough.
I have the ZS4, ZSE(blue version), ED9 Super bowl, ED special edition in my shopping cart. Anything bad in it I should remove?

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #45,170 of 63,836
I have the ZS4, ZSE(blue version), ED9 Super bowl, ED special edition in my shopping cart. Anything bad in it I should remove?

Ditch the Special Edition and replace it with an EDR1. It looks exactly the same but it has a different driver and sounds better IMO.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #45,171 of 63,836
the zse is one kz i never warmed up to--odd fitting and requires amping to sound credible--for a few more bucks you can get the zsn. as per slater, i'd also swap the edr1 for the the edse--it's really good.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #45,172 of 63,836
About 2-3 months.

And there’s no guarantee of that 18 month thing. That’s just been my observation based on their historical model release schedule.

There’s also exceptions. It depends on many things, including how well a model sells, other competing models, their product direction, costs, target market, etc.

For example, there is no ED10. It’s just the same ED9 they’ve been selling for years. The ED9 did get a new driver a while ago, but KZ never said anything, and it is still sold as the ED9, and it was a lot longer than 18 months from the original release.

So bottom line is don’t hold your breath or get your hopes up that by somehow by Christmas there’s gonna be a magical ZS11 Pro. It’s not like Apple or Toyota, where there’s an assurance of a a yearly release. KZ does whatever KZ wants, how they want, when they want.

Thanks again Slater. I prefer an unpredictable release schedule. That way we can get some nice surprises :)

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #45,173 of 63,836
the zse is one kz i never warmed up to--odd fitting and requires amping to sound credible--for a few more bucks you can get the zsn. as per slater, i'd also swap the edr1 for the the edse--it's really good.
Already have the zsn and I switched out the Ed special for the edr1. I have the LG g7 as the source so it has good quad dac and pretty good amp

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #45,174 of 63,836

I didn’t like the ZSE either. Supposedly, the newer blue version sounds better. I’m skeptical of that claim, but who knows maybe KZ did something magical with it.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #45,175 of 63,836
I didn’t like the ZSE either. Supposedly, the newer blue version sounds better. I’m skeptical of that claim, but who knows maybe KZ did something magical with it.

Blue one still sounds like @$$. As crazy as it sounds, skip the ZSE and get the QKZ version; KD8. It sounds most excellent.

giphy.gif

Edit: Adding that I paid a whopping 7.97 CAD for them. I bought them here via the KZ Global store. They have it labeled as the ZSE Special Edition. They're so special, they're actually a QKZ :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #45,176 of 63,836
Just got the spinfits Cp240 Large and Cp155 Large. They are amazing and I like the CP155 the most, they increase the bass and the highs more than the Newbee Foam tips on my Tin T3 and ZS7. Only problem is that the CP155´s nozzle is a little bit too big is the CP145 exactly the same as the CP155 but with a smaller nozzle? In that case im gonna order it.

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #45,178 of 63,836
Just got the spinfits Cp240 Large and Cp155 Large. They are amazing and I like the CP155 the most, they increase the bass and the highs more than the Newbee Foam tips on my Tin T3 and ZS7. Only problem is that the CP155´s nozzle is a little bit too big is the CP145 exactly the same as the CP155 but with a smaller nozzle? In that case im gonna order it.

Like I mentioned cp155 might be a little loose. Cp145 fits for me. Design wise spinfits in this series is same. Except the cp145 small size which follows cp100 style design. You should be good with medium or large cp145.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #45,179 of 63,836
Like I mentioned cp155 might be a little loose. Cp145 fits for me. Design wise spinfits in this series is same. Except the cp145 small size which follows cp100 style design. You should be good with medium or large cp145.
Do you have any experience with the CP360? Might buy that at the same time as CP145 ( gonna wait for the summer sale to start)

EDIT: And im guessing the CP100Z is the same as the CP360 but with a bigger nozzle size?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #45,180 of 63,836
Do you have any experience with the CP360? Might buy that at the same time as CP145 ( gonna wait for the summer sale to start)

EDIT: And im guessing the CP100Z is the same as the CP360 but with a bigger nozzle size?

I don't own cp100z and 360, looking at the website they are as you say. Cp100z will be the better fit, since they are closer to the 5mm bore size. Note that a smaller tip bore will increase treble presence and (usually) reduce soundstage, increase silbilance. And if its too big, bass might be diminished to unlikeable levels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back