Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #42,541 of 63,850
Had a bunch of KZs come in. ZSE sucks about as much as I remembered. Veiled, congested, bleh... ZS3E is a bass cannon and a lot of fun. Really similar tune and performance to the ZS4 but quite a bit cheaper. Was hoping for something more "reference" but this is KZ after all. ZSE Special Edition is actually just the QKZ KD8 and by far and away a better product than the ZSE. Nicer plastics, better extension end-to-end, clearer and more detailed, larger sound stage, etc. Name something and the KD8 does it better. First time I've preferred the QKZ version over the KZ version, and in this case not by a small margin. For the ~6 CAD I paid the KD8 is pretty amazing. Pick up a set if you've missed DD only KZs. Lastly, the ZS7. Honestly a big disappointment. Lovely build as expected from KZ and I like the downplayed treble and mids, but wow is the bass completely overwhelming. At my normal super low listening volumes it completely takes over, and raising the volume to bring up the mids and treble just makes it worse. I don't think I've ever been tuckered out from too much sub-bass. ZS6>ZS7 any day of the week, imo.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #42,543 of 63,850
Here are some comparisons between ZS7 and C10:
-. ZS7 has more quantity in bass and impact
-. ZS7 has more forward vocal
-. ZS7 vocal is more "meaty?" (like shure vocal but not overly so)
-. C10 treble is more pronounce especially cymbals
-. C10 has a little bit of elevated mid bass
Both IEMs has kind of similar sound signature tbh. I could go back and forth and not feeling any weirdness at all. It just a different tuning where one is more balance and one is more fun.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #42,544 of 63,850
Interesting, the ZS4 says it has 26 dB of noise reduction so that would be great for me to use on the bus. How's the soundstage? I'm trying to find a pair that's more bright than warm.
the zs4 is 15 bucks--i wouldn't overthink it

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #42,545 of 63,850
Had a bunch of KZs come in. ZSE sucks about as much as I remembered. Veiled, congested, bleh... ZS3E is a bass cannon and a lot of fun. Really similar tune and performance to the ZS4 but quite a bit cheaper. Was hoping for something more "reference" but this is KZ after all. ZSE Special Edition is actually just the QKZ KD8 and by far and away a better product than the ZSE. Nicer plastics, better extension end-to-end, clearer and more detailed, larger sound stage, etc. Name something and the KD8 does it better. First time I've preferred the QKZ version over the KZ version, and in this case not by a small margin. For the ~6 CAD I paid the KD8 is pretty amazing. Pick up a set if you've missed DD only KZs. Lastly, the ZS7. Honestly a big disappointment. Lovely build as expected from KZ and I like the downplayed treble and mids, but wow is the bass completely overwhelming. At my normal super low listening volumes it completely takes over, and raising the volume to bring up the mids and treble just makes it worse. I don't think I've ever been tuckered out from too much sub-bass. ZS6>ZS7 any day of the week, imo.

I agree on the regular ZSE. Blech.

I see (2) different ZSE advertised as "special editions". Which one are you talking about?

2.jpg
3.jpg

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #42,546 of 63,850
I agree on the regular ZSE. Blech.

I see (2) different ZSE advertised as "special editions". Which one are you talking about?

The second one is actually a QKZ. The first is the same as the regular ZSE in terms of tuning, just the blue coloring makes it "special". That's the one I picked up since it was a little cheaper than the standard version.

Edit: Reason I know it's a QKZ is the plug and branding. Doesn't actually say QKZ anywhere. There was no standard KZ packaging either. They just chucked it into one of those big, plastic, padded KZ cases which was pretty awesome. It's a seriously awesome value. Picked it up here on the KZ Global Store.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #42,547 of 63,850
The second one is actually a QKZ. The first is the same as the regular ZSE in terms of tuning, just the blue coloring makes it "special". That's the one I picked up since it was a little cheaper than the standard version.

Edit: Reason I know it's a QKZ is the plug and branding. Doesn't actually say QKZ anywhere. There was no standard KZ packaging either. They just chucked it into one of those big, plastic, padded KZ cases which was pretty awesome. It's a seriously awesome value. Picked it up here on the KZ Global Store.

OK, so just to clarify, you got the blue one? That's how I'm reading your statement (ie "That's the one I picked up...")

Can you compare it to other KZ 2xDynamics - ZSN Mini, ZS1 v1, ZS1 v2, ZS2, etc? Better, worse?

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #42,548 of 63,850
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #42,549 of 63,850
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #42,550 of 63,850
I recently got the Fiio K3. Tonight I tried the ZST with the balanced cable. Wow! Just wow! Smooth top, big round bottom and the middle was slightly recessed but not out of line. I can't believe that a $20 set of IEMs sound this good.

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #42,551 of 63,850
I get a very good fit & seal with the ZSR; however with the ZSA I just couldn't. The ZSA would actually fall out with even a slight movement of my jaw.

I decided to see if using double flange eartip would help. They do - I get a good fit & seal. The ones I got :
- are not longer then the stock tips.
- do not insert deeper than the stock tips.
- have a wider bore 5mm.

I got them from the Trig Rain Official Store on AE.
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5mm-Original-Two-Layer-Silicone-In-Ear-Earphone-Earbuds-Ear-pads-covers-Eartips-Replacement-Headphone-Earplugs/32700128989.html

Pretty cheap, so if you have a similar prob try them out. The store allows you to choose diff sizes in the same order. I use the L ones, see pic below. ( Wonder what happens if you place a weird order like 5 L and 1 M, LOL ). The build quality of the eartips isn't that good.

I have also ordered the TENNMAK wide-bore eartips, btw.

I now use the ZSA with the KZ type-C DAC. Sounds much better, I did not care too much for the ZSA SQ before - it still doesn't come close to the ZSR. I still have to try the Slater ZSA mod, with micropore tape.

Recently I've seen ZSR listings for just 16.99 USD with AE Std shipping.

Stock vs Double Flange:

KZ_ZSA_Double_Flange1.jpg

KZ_ZSA_Double_Flange2.jpg

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #42,552 of 63,850
I get a very good fit & seal with the ZSR; however with the ZSA I just couldn't. The ZSA would actually fall out with even a slight movement of my jaw.

I decided to see if using double flange eartip would help. They do - I get a good fit & seal. The ones I got :
- are not longer then the stock tips.
- do not insert deeper than the stock tips.
- have a wider bore 5mm.

I got them from the Trig Rain Official Store on AE.
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5mm-Original-Two-Layer-Silicone-In-Ear-Earphone-Earbuds-Ear-pads-covers-Eartips-Replacement-Headphone-Earplugs/32700128989.html

Pretty cheap, so if you have a similar prob try them out. The store allows you to choose diff sizes in the same order. I use the L ones, see pic below. ( Wonder what happens if you place a weird order like 5 L and 1 M, LOL ). The build quality of the eartips isn't that good.

I have also ordered the TENNMAK wide-bore eartips, btw.

I now use the ZSA with the KZ type-C DAC. Sounds much better, I did not care too much for the ZSA SQ before - it still doesn't come close to the ZSR. I still have to try the Slater ZSA mod, with micropore tape.

Recently I've seen ZSR listings for just 16.99 USD with AE Std shipping.

Stock vs Double Flange:

I'm willing to try these double-flanged tips. You mentioned their build quality as not so good. Would you say they're stiff, or soft?

Anyway thanks for providing the link.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #42,553 of 63,850
I'm willing to try these double-flanged tips. You mentioned their build quality as not so good. Would you say they're stiff, or soft?

Anyway thanks for providing the link.

They're very soft. Much thinner than the stock tip, almost flimsy, see pic below.

I also just noticed when taking these pics that the central tube in the double flange tips is located much below the 'base' flange. The same tube in the stock tip is actually higher than the flange. See pic.

btw, thanks for mentioning that the CCA C10 uses the KZ Para-A cables. I had asked some time back and no one answered.

KZ_ZSA_Double_Flange3.jpg

KZ_ZSA_Double_Flange4.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #42,554 of 63,850
They're very soft. Much thinner than the stock tip, almost flimsy, see pic below.
And just to add to this. I got these exact tips sometime ago and use them on my ES4 (medium size). They sound best with them, noticeably better than with the starlines on. I got a much deeper fit with these but surprisingly less isolation. I suspect that may be due to the nature of the material used. Yes, indeed, they are much thinner than stock, and really soft. In fact, so thin and soft to the extent that I start feeling the edges of the nozzles pressing against the inner walls of my ears after a while. This caused me a lot of irritation at first, but it got better over time, although still not ideal even now, but sound wise, I found them really good.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #42,555 of 63,850
ES4 is a very good iem (for the price), especially for those who are treble sensitive like me. Before this I had ZS5 v1 but unfortunately I lost 1 earpiece, which kindof sucks because in the end it was by far the best iem ive ever had and it's hard to find v1. The es4 sounds dull and too intimite in comparison. Too much bass bleed and a lack of treble energy. Mids are OK but nothing special.

In the end nothing beats ZS5v1 for me right now. It sounds so much more complete and spacious and although I dont like too much treble this was just beyond words.
One thing to mention tho is that the stock cable is crap from ZS5. The copper/silver braided cables from Kz are way better in terms of sound than the old rubber cables. It really makes a difference. That said, ZSE and ZS3 both sucked imo and also the ES3 isn't worth buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back