Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 15, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #42,571 of 64,065
Mar 15, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #42,573 of 64,065
Slightly OT :
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...on-and-other-customer-data-easily-accessible/

If you've purchased something from Gearbest in the past, you might want to start changing your credit cards — the company's main database was found to be completely unsecured....

Some of the accessible information includes emails, account passwords, IP addresses, birthdays, street addresses, payment information, and full names. The team was able to log into two accounts without effort. The exact content of each customer's orders are also visible. Gearbest's data management console was also accessible, meaning hackers could easily manipulate information on the site, disable sections of the company's servers, and even disrupt operations at Gearbest's warehouses.

It's safe to say that data breaches don't get much worse than this — it might be a good idea to stay away from Gearbest.

GB response
However, our investigation reveals that on March 1st, 2019, such firewalls were mistakenly taken down by one of our security team members for reasons still being under investigation. Such unprotected status has directly exposed those tools for scanning and accessing without further authentication.

Currently, we believe this may have affected our newly registered customers as well as our old customers who placed orders with Gearbest during the time from March 1st 2019 to March 15th, 2019, in a total number of about 280,000. Fortunately, the irregularity has been fixed by us within two hours immediately after detecting it and we will further strengthen our internal security management to avoid such incident from happening again.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #42,574 of 64,065
It was a standard and certification introduced by Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA) in 2014. Specifics can be found here:

https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en

While it's not a bad thing that something is certified, it doesn't necessarily mean much. The reason is that while there is some evidence that people physiologically respond to sound above the range of what they can hear as pure tones (young people typically hear up to 20kHz, and as you age you loose much of the ability to directly hear high tones, for men they start loosing the high frequency perception in their mid-30s, for women it's a little later), it's both tricky to capture high frequency sound (every mic, every mixer, every bit of recording and mastering gear has to be capable of and set up to preserve and pass along those high frequency sounds) and since sounds above 20Khz aren't directly perceived by people, without spectral analysis of the full frequency range who knows what's been captured in a hi-res audio file - maybe it's great, maybe it's got leftover high frequency noise as a side effect of some mastering/mixing mistakes. Things get even more confusing because the music studios have a tendency to remaster recordings when they release them in Hi-Res, so unless you personally take that Hi-Res master and then downsample it yourself to a non-Hi-Res format and then conduct your own double-blind tests on the right playback equipment comparing the various versions, you won't really know if the Hi-Res recording is better because it's captured and reproduced more of the frequency range or if it's better just because it's been remastered. I think the best candidates for recordings that might actually be worthwhile to have in Hi-Res are modern recordings of orchestras made from the beginning with the intention of being a Hi-Res recording, but I haven't done enough comparisons/tests to weigh in on whether I think it's really worth the bother (something I plan to try to do someday).

At the end of the day, it's one of those badges on a product box that can impress a casual consumer, and while in theory if everything you bought was Hi-Res certified you should be able to play back music with frequencies above the directly perceivable range, it would depend a lot on particular recordings whether there's anything of consequence in that expanded range. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I’ll also add that some products displays the logo or says they’re certified, when in fact it’s a flat out lie. It’s just being used try and fool people into buying it. Of course it’s illegal, but when has that stopped some of these unscrupulous companies (especially when they have no qualms about making counterfeit goods or gear that’s a total knockoff design of something else).

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #42,575 of 64,065
Nice Gearbest, got to love someone else being your pilot!

So after several days I'm going to have to give props to these as they turned out to be more than I expected (cable is still crap even after removing the wanker wire but I've got a nice TRN coming to replace it) and once I got the spacer sleeve on the nozzle and right tips (Auvio Med.) they have really tightened up and are quite nice for an all BA KZ, with that said and for $76 I can see where KZ will be heading North of $100 soon but I'm sticking to my guns as $76 was a stretch for me from a budget Chi-Fi manufacturer. I will also admit I much (and still) prefer the metal bodied KZ's:grin: I'm thinking they made them look like little toasters because they are so warm and inviting:thinking:

KZ Stepping Up.JPG

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #42,576 of 64,065
Nice Gearbest, got to love someone else being your pilot!

So after several days I'm going to have to give props to these as they turned out to be more than I expected (cable is still crap even after removing the wanker wire but I've got a nice TRN coming to replace it) and once I got the spacer sleeve on the nozzle and right tips (Auvio Med.) they have really tightened up and are quite nice for an all BA KZ, with that said and for $76 I can see where KZ will be heading North of $100 soon but I'm sticking to my guns as $76 was a stretch for me from a budget Chi-Fi manufacturer. I will also admit I much (and still) prefer the metal bodied KZ's:grin: I'm thinking they made them look like little toasters because they are so warm and inviting:thinking:

+1, Pod.

Yep, I did the "spacer" mod as well to facilitate a wider soundstage.

I'm definitely holding steady with my 8.5 out of 10 rating on these.

10188253.jpg

Note: pull the memory wire from the cables and use silicone earhooks to keep the BA10 in place.

The BA10 sees regular rotation with my ZS6 along with my BQEYZ K2 and BQEYZ KB100.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-ba10-knowledge-zenith.23310/

https://www.soundphilereview.com/reviews/kz-ba10-review-2998/

Also, a source with a low output impedance keeps the upper midrange and lower treble in check.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #42,577 of 64,065
My current portable setup :D Pink/Purple combo is really growing on me this year. Switched to ZSN from my trusty ZS5 v1 and so far really enjoying it. Always surprised at what KZ can squeeze into these IEMs for the dirt cheap price.
Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 6/64gb Twilight Gold
Earphones: KZ ZSN Purple w/ SpinFit CP100 M size

IMG-20190315-232559.jpg

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #42,579 of 64,065
I look forward to more comparisons between BQEYZ and KZ. The K2 looks nice!

BQEYZ did let me know that there is more stuff in the works so comparisons will be made; we have much to look forward to.

The K2 does look good and it's built very well.

The CCA's are doing very well so KZ's new 8-BA release will be a pivotal point for them. Since the C16 has a more balanced approach perhaps KZ will give us a masterfully tuned sound "fun" signature ("U", "V" or "W" shaped). Hopefully they will e as well received as the C16, otherwise many might perceive CCA to be taking the lead.

To me this AS16/BA16?? looks like it might be an AS10 body with an "FH5"....ish faceplate and ZSN type 2-pin connectors. We'll find out soon enough, though.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #42,581 of 64,065
Does a music player app which support lossless file and with lossless music but without any dac, just play it on a normal smartphone improve the sound quality compare to a normal mp3 file?

as per theory it should be, but on blind testing 90% audiophile cant differentiate between FLAC lossless vs mp3 320kbps. You judge by yourself including is it worth taken up your memory storage space.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #42,582 of 64,065
They're very soft. Much thinner than the stock tip, almost flimsy, see pic below.

I also just noticed when taking these pics that the central tube in the double flange tips is located much below the 'base' flange. The same tube in the stock tip is actually higher than the flange. See pic.

btw, thanks for mentioning that the CCA C10 uses the KZ Para-A cables. I had asked some time back and no one answered.

You're welcome. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #42,583 of 64,065
as per theory it should be, but on blind testing 90% audiophile cant differentiate between FLAC lossless vs mp3 320kbps. You judge by yourself including is it worth taken up your memory storage space.
It all depends on the flac level, I rip my CD's at level 8 and can tell a difference between 320k and flac

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #42,584 of 64,065
Which app should I use on Android for playing Flac lossless music? I don't really have any experience with this stuff. Always stick with my Spotify but now I want a step up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back