Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 18, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #42,601 of 63,966
IPhone 5S audio is very respectable. Only use the lightning cable if your 3.5mm jack is messed up.

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5s-audio-quality.htm
Wow! That's impressive! I'm now thankful for not buying the lightning cable. I have recently bought an ED16, a silver cable and some cheap foam tips. I will leave my feedback on those as soon as they get to me. Thanks for all your help guys!

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #42,602 of 63,966
Hey guys, My ZS6, that I love, got broken. Quick opinion poll. ZS7 or ZS10? My current amp is a Fiio K3 with balanced cable.

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #42,603 of 63,966
I took out my old KZ ZS3 that I considered a bloated mess which even the Slater mod could not save - although it did a lot of saving, bringing out some crunch of the mids and treble, albeit with a touch sibilance - it does somestuff right.
With large bore wide-bore on the L side of my spectrum, they are something I'd consider for commuting and movies/gaming.

The mold is really something to be re-investigated...It's a seal so tight it sucks out the whole breathable atmosphere but the bass thumps nicely with nice headroom in soundstage, similarly to my IT01. It makes me think that the KZ ZS4 might be worth looking into, or prompting KZ to add drivers into this soooOOOoo comfortable shape. They are IEM pyjamas.

I'd jump on a 5 or more BA/DD version of these as fast as I would get out of soggy sweaty socks.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #42,604 of 63,966
Hey guys, My ZS6, that I love, got broken. Quick opinion poll. ZS7 or ZS10? My current amp is a Fiio K3 with balanced cable.
I like the ZS10 over the ZS6 quite a bit more but have yet to get the ZS7’s as I’ve been put on the you can’t buy anything for awhile time-out by the wife.

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #42,606 of 63,966
I experience that quite regularly.
But she did make my reservations for hotel and flight to CanJam SoCal for me and that is why I’m in time out and could be the TR-X00’s that she was not happy about me buying not for sure.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #42,607 of 63,966
Woah...the Opus#1 just showed up. Considering I took the AS10/E12a/A45 combo out today, I immediately swapped the sD card over to the Opus and popped in the AS10. Coheed & Cambria's The Second Stage Turbine Blade had the honors of being the inaugural album and I am honestly blown away at how different a representation the AS10s have on this DAP.

On the A45, they're a very warm affair. I was actually prepared to gripe here about how I thought the AS10's treble seemed excessively rolled off, but I'm getting it back here in droves. Now it's got a healthy extension, but stops just short of the point of being stabby. Midrange is completely cleaned up now and I'm hearing background vocals on tracks like "Delirium Trigger" that I had never noticed before. Bass is certainly thinner, but I attribute that to a faster decay. Everything's so much more spacious and authoritative. One negative, though: it seems to showcase a graininess to the upper registers that I'll have to further explore and make sure it's not just a product of the recording itself.

Can't write off the AS10 anymore, I suppose. It just needed the right player to really flex its muscles.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #42,608 of 63,966
I have all 3.

In my listening preference, the ZS7 basically corrects for the shortcomings of the ZS6. Deep, strong yet cohesive bass. Maintaining clarity of the mids and treble while projecting oodles of energy.
Not as 'expansive' sounding as the ZS6 but its more coherent, more precise, 3 dimensional in its effect. Although the treble energy is still there, it stops just short of the ZS6's sibilant character. Slightly rolled off comparatively and overall smoother sounding in the treble.

The ZS10 has a different character. Its short nozzle and stubby casing can be an issue for some people.
If properly sealed, its a warm, airy sounding piece that I can listen to hours without really noticing it. Well smoothed out treble that has no inherent sibilance issues. Only issue is that there are complaints of crossover frequencies being not completely smooth, though I never ever noticed it.

Between the 3, the ZS7 is the easiest to drive, the ZS10 the most power hungry.

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #42,609 of 63,966
... ZS3E is a bass cannon and a lot of fun. Really similar tune and performance to the ZS4 but quite a bit cheaper. Was hoping for something more "reference" but this is KZ after all. ...

Could you please do a mini review of the ZS3E?

I want to buy one for my young niece. She'll sure like the appearance and it does not have a BA so might survive some rough handling.

And, I don't think there is a single review of the ZS3E yet.

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #42,611 of 63,966
ZSNs....do these have a brighter and more forward sound than ZS4 and ES4s? I think I'd prefer that. They all seem to have very good sound isolation which is what I was mainly after.

If it's isolation you're after, you're likely not going to find anything more isolating than the ZS4 (or ZS3, ZS3E). Think of them like earplugs that play music! Seriously, you could use them at a firing range, which using a jackhammer, or outside on an airport runway and not hear anything going on in the external environment.

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #42,612 of 63,966
ZSNs....do these have a brighter and more forward sound than ZS4 and ES4s? I think I'd prefer that. They all seem to have very good sound isolation which is what I was mainly after.

If it's isolation you're after, you're likely not going to find anything more isolating than the ZS4 (or ZS3, ZS3E). Think of them like earplugs that play music! Seriously, you could use them at a firing range, which using a jackhammer, or outside on an airport runway and not hear anything going on in the external environment.

Depending on how well the shells fit your ears, to me the AS10 has pretty close to ZS4 isolation. More or less equivalent in my opinion.
But not everyone has the same ear canal shape, so, results may not be exactly comparable.

The AS10 definitely has a more forward mid-range but if you're going to use it as a beater, and not willing to spend more than US$20/-, then the ZS4 are your best option in the KZ line.

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #42,613 of 63,966
The AS10 definitely has a more forward mid-range but if you're going to use it as a beater, and not willing to spend more than US$20/-, then the ZS4 are your best option in the KZ line.
I disagree. The ZSN is a better option and it's also the best fitting. The ZS4 being the worst.

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #42,614 of 63,966
Could you please do a mini review of the ZS3E?

I want to buy one for my young niece. She'll sure like the appearance and it does not have a BA so might survive some rough handling.

And, I don't think there is a single review of the ZS3E yet.
Buy them for her and get her to write the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back