Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 15, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #42,556 of 64,064
OK, so just to clarify, you got the blue one? That's how I'm reading your statement (ie "That's the one I picked up...")

Can you compare it to other KZ 2xDynamics - ZSN Mini, ZS1 v1, ZS1 v2, ZS2, etc? Better, worse?

Thanks!

Yes, I got the blue one. The KD8 would be akin to the ZN1 Mini. ZS1 v1 is a lot warmer and bassier. ZS3E would be more comparable to that, lol. Will find my Mini later and see how the KD8 stacks up. Regardless, for 6 bucks it's a really nice buy.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #42,557 of 64,064
I get a very good fit & seal with the ZSR; however with the ZSA I just couldn't. The ZSA would actually fall out with even a slight movement of my jaw.

I decided to see if using double flange eartip would help. They do - I get a good fit & seal. The ones I got :
- are not longer then the stock tips.
- do not insert deeper than the stock tips.
- have a wider bore 5mm.

I got them from the Trig Rain Official Store on AE.
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5mm-Original-Two-Layer-Silicone-In-Ear-Earphone-Earbuds-Ear-pads-covers-Eartips-Replacement-Headphone-Earplugs/32700128989.html

Pretty cheap, so if you have a similar prob try them out. The store allows you to choose diff sizes in the same order. I use the L ones, see pic below. ( Wonder what happens if you place a weird order like 5 L and 1 M, LOL ). The build quality of the eartips isn't that good.

I have also ordered the TENNMAK wide-bore eartips, btw.

I now use the ZSA with the KZ type-C DAC. Sounds much better, I did not care too much for the ZSA SQ before - it still doesn't come close to the ZSR. I still have to try the Slater ZSA mod, with micropore tape.

Recently I've seen ZSR listings for just 16.99 USD with AE Std shipping.

Stock vs Double Flange:

Those are great tips. Have quite a few pairs from other iems that came with them (or something very similar). Havi twins and a few of the ADVANCED iems include them. Will have to give them a shot with the ZSA and BA10 since they have a similar fit for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #42,558 of 64,064
My cca c10 are Flying for me and my girlfriend :) can't wait. To avoid tax and customs in Poland I could only order Earbuds alone (there is no tax for products costing below 24 EUR and I paid like equivalent of 22,75 EUR on Aliexpress). Now I need to do some additional shopping. Can anyone remind me what foam tips size should I buy? 5 mm? Any suggestions for some cheap ones and a case? Do I need anything else? Maybe some Jack extension for my LG V30 to activate quad dac for these cca. Anyone have some and can recommend ?For now I'll skip the upgraded cable because I don't know how they sound on stock one. Anyone tried them with tidal hifi and can compare to Spotify premium (i subscribe it) ? Should I switch to tidal hifi for mqa files and flac (i have a good hearing) ?

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #42,559 of 64,064
Ok been trying out my Zs7 and found out that the start line tips are not that bad it actually fit me well with the medium size. So I've been considering what should I upgrade the cable? The silver cable from kz. Is it make a huge difference in sound?

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #42,560 of 64,064
Ok been trying out my Zs7 and found out that the start line tips are not that bad it actually fit me well with the medium size. So I've been considering what should I upgrade the cable? The silver cable from kz. Is it make a huge difference in sound?

I like the starline tips so much that I have bought bags of them( 30 for a dollar) on ebay and use them on many of my other iems.

Cables never make a huge difference to me. I only change a cable if I hate the look of it or it is not comfortable. Also if it is too long or short.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #42,561 of 64,064
I like the starline tips so much that I have bought bags of them( 30 for a dollar) on ebay and use them on many of my other iems.

Cables never make a huge difference to me. I only change a cable if I hate the look of it or it is not comfortable. Also if it is too long or short.
Well the original cable isn't a huge trouble for me. Just looking for the sound upgrade

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #42,562 of 64,064
Well the original cable isn't a huge trouble for me. Just looking for the sound upgrade
It'll be negligible. Unless you're already running a TOTL DAP or have a really good source, I would just save the funds and put them towards upgrading those.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #42,565 of 64,064
Mar 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #42,566 of 64,064
I'm new to this but can someone explain me that hi-res audio sticker in some box of some earphones? What does it mean? And does the Zs7 have it the hi-res sound? Thank
I have a bunch of those stickers from various pieces of equipment. I should start selling them on eBay so everyone can "magically" make their headphones hi-res. :o2smile:

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #42,567 of 64,064
I'm new to this but can someone explain me that hi-res audio sticker in some box of some earphones? What does it mean? And does the Zs7 have it the hi-res sound? Thank

It was a standard and certification introduced by Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA) in 2014. Specifics can be found here:

https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en

While it's not a bad thing that something is certified, it doesn't necessarily mean much. The reason is that while there is some evidence that people physiologically respond to sound above the range of what they can hear as pure tones (young people typically hear up to 20kHz, and as you age you loose much of the ability to directly hear high tones, for men they start loosing the high frequency perception in their mid-30s, for women it's a little later), it's both tricky to capture high frequency sound (every mic, every mixer, every bit of recording and mastering gear has to be capable of and set up to preserve and pass along those high frequency sounds) and since sounds above 20Khz aren't directly perceived by people, without spectral analysis of the full frequency range who knows what's been captured in a hi-res audio file - maybe it's great, maybe it's got leftover high frequency noise as a side effect of some mastering/mixing mistakes. Things get even more confusing because the music studios have a tendency to remaster recordings when they release them in Hi-Res, so unless you personally take that Hi-Res master and then downsample it yourself to a non-Hi-Res format and then conduct your own double-blind tests on the right playback equipment comparing the various versions, you won't really know if the Hi-Res recording is better because it's captured and reproduced more of the frequency range or if it's better just because it's been remastered. I think the best candidates for recordings that might actually be worthwhile to have in Hi-Res are modern recordings of orchestras made from the beginning with the intention of being a Hi-Res recording, but I haven't done enough comparisons/tests to weigh in on whether I think it's really worth the bother (something I plan to try to do someday).

At the end of the day, it's one of those badges on a product box that can impress a casual consumer, and while in theory if everything you bought was Hi-Res certified you should be able to play back music with frequencies above the directly perceivable range, it would depend a lot on particular recordings whether there's anything of consequence in that expanded range. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #42,569 of 64,064
I have a bunch of those stickers from various pieces of equipment. I should start selling them on eBay so everyone can "magically" make their headphones hi-res. :o2smile:
I wear those Hi-Res stickers as earrings to show the world I have Hi-Res Hearing! It's not true that I can't hear my baby cry. I just ignore him.

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #42,570 of 64,064

You're right on the last account. However, the former E-Bay purchase is crappy "KZ" eartips that have no stretchable bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back