Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 14, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #42,511 of 64,065
Hi Guys what is a nice KZ iem that is not harsh with nice bass?
Funny but your query is really quite timely landing as it did amidst a running discussion.

Since there's no info as to your individual music preference, based on the assumption that by the descriptives "nice" and "not harsh" you do like bass of a certain magnitude and you dislike overemphasis on treble, then you just might have pictured the new KZ ZS7. It's got Big, Beautiful, Bountiful, Breathtaking Bass. A midrange that's quite full and rich. And it's treble is detailed enough, but tastefully tuned as to remove any harshness.

But if you're on the search for a pair of in-ears just about perfect for balanced, extended, fatigue-free listening sessions in your favorite space or cozy corner or simply doing quiet tasks then its cousin, the CCA C10 would fit the bill.

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #42,512 of 64,065
i found out how to enjoy my ZSN, a decent source (any phone with a dedicated dac will do) and a trn cable, it seems to soften the treble
for some reason my phone makes it sounds harsh yet my galaxy camera makes it sounds great
never knew cables would make that much of a difference

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #42,513 of 64,065
I never really listened to my ZST because I kept getting popping in my right ear canal. Weird canal causes driver flex?

I recently tried listening to them again and since they and the ZS3 were my first models I realized the ZST sounds like the left and right ear are listening to the same thing but in two different ways like each of them are going down different tunnels. It's really weird.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #42,516 of 64,065
Sad(
I thought what with detachable cables I will have some options...

Basically, I need to make right one longer.
If make one of the sides shorter it will be not so comfortable to wear.

How much it can cost?

In that case, it may make more sense just to have a short ‘pigtail’ extension made. It could be however long you want to extend the right side by (8” for example). And it would have a female 2-pin socket on 1 end and a male 2-pin plug on the other end. The adapter would go in between the right IEM and your current cable.

That way, you can still retain the use of the stock cable, any balanced cables, etc.

Make sense ?

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #42,517 of 64,065
Just listened my sister's rock zircon, they're surprisingly decent I prefer it over ZSN lol. Mids and highs are smoother, no weird peaks I can hear when I EQ down the bass.

White or black color?

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #42,518 of 64,065
In that case, it may make more sense just to have a short ‘pigtail’ extension made. It could be however long you want to extend the right side by (8” for example). And it would have a female 2-pin socket on 1 end and a male 2-pin plug on the other end. The adapter would go in between the right IEM and your current cable.

That way, you can still retain the use of the stock cable, any balanced cables, etc.

Make sense ?
It can be solution if it is not possible to get factory J cable...
But I never done this before... do you have links for some instructions/manuals?

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #42,520 of 64,065
It can be solution if it is not possible to get factory J cable...
But I never done this before... do you have links for some instructions/manuals?

I’d recommend starting with some YouTube videos on soldering, and then look for some videos on fixing audio cables. I seem to remember seeing some in the past that show how to put on a new TRS 3.5mm plug.

But if this case, it’s not even that complicated. The 2-pin adapter cable is literally just soldering 2 wires. It would be a great learning experience.

You can buy the parts from Aliexpress. I’d search for ‘0.75mm (or 0.78mm) DIY plugs’ or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #42,522 of 64,065
Or if you want the easy way, just coil one cable on to the other. And tie it with zip tie or glue..

That’s a great suggestion, but he mentioned that it needs to be longer than it currently is (not shorter).

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #42,523 of 64,065
Now that I've had a little over a week with the ZSR I can say while they're still a really nice IEM for the price they do have some faults. There is some part of the treble that can sound a bit harsh and also just sounds off compared to the treble from better IEMs. The mids can sound a bit thin at times as well. The last thing is the fit isn't the best and the start to hurt my ears after a while which doesn't happen with some of my other IEMs.

For $30 I still feel it's a good deal for people wanting good SQ but don't want to spend much but if you can afford a more expensive pair I say go for it. Compared to my Flare Audio R2A the KZ is a few steps behind.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #42,525 of 64,065
I realized the ZST sounds like the left and right ear are listening to the same thing but in two different ways like each of them are going down different tunnels. It's really weird.

Have you tested to see if they are in phase? Everytime something has been really weird to me it turns out that it is out of phase (which can be corrected).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back