Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #38,611 of 63,914
Question about ZSN.

It's said that the silver-purple version comes with a better cable. How better is it? Is it about the build or the sound?

I am thinking of getting the black one, but might getting the silver-purple one if the cable is significantly better.

It's both built and sound. The clear cable that came with silver/purple is definitely thicker than the brown cable. For sound, it makes the bass tighter and a little bit more treble extension to my ears.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #38,612 of 63,914
Question about ZSN.

It's said that the silver-purple version comes with a better cable. How better is it? Is it about the build or the sound?

I am thinking of getting the black one, but might getting the silver-purple one if the cable is significantly better.
The one that comes with the Purple/Silver cable is the better built cable in turn giving the ZSN the best amazing sound possible providing better presence of details throughout the whole range!

HTB1_f6kXsfrK1RkSnb4q6xHRFXaN.jpg

For the Cyan/Black and Black model you can choose to do a separate purchase on a 25 core strand, Clear/Silver cable, which by default the Purple/Silver one comes only with the light-copper 25 core strand style. They both give the same similar affect, which is a balanced sound signature! As you can see below, it is explained in one of their adds...

HTB1vn6kXzvuK1Rjy0Faq6x2aVXaA.jpg

Link...
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-high-purity-oxygen/1358152_32947613528.html?

Hope this helps...

-Clear

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #38,614 of 63,914

I'm sorry to be that guy. I think I'll be the first one to criticise the ZSN. I think KZ still hasn't mastered the finetuning of the upper mids. Female vocals sound upfront, but can also sound so blown up they lose their natural tonality. They can even sound a bit tinny.

Cymbals too can be a bit off. Try Team from Lorde for example. A dark, sweet sounding song but the cymbals (sorry, actually slaps here!) sound very loud, even piercing on the ZSN.

Happily, the upper mids are still better controlled than on the many KZ's released mid year.

Furthermore, the soundstage, instrument separarion and bass are definitely above average - a great lot of typical audiophile test tracks sound amazing on these! But to say this is the new king of budget IEM's, no, that is a bridge too far for me. Yet. Let's test it a little more. :)

Edits: added some more test notes :)

I for one (and probably many others) don't mind critical opinions like this, grounds the thread a little and keep the expectations in check.

Though I am curious, in your opinion, which of the sub $20 offerings around chi-fi that can beat the ZSN in terms of performance (disregard the build quality part a bit, since I don't mind that much, I keep IEMs in a case when not in use)

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #38,615 of 63,914
Can`t wait for my Cyan ZSN paired with Purple version copper cable. If Bartig like it much, then probably I do too ;P

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #38,616 of 63,914
I for one (and probably many others) don't mind critical opinions like this, grounds the thread a little and keep the expectations in check.

Though I am curious, in your opinion, which of the sub $20 offerings around chi-fi that can beat the ZSN in terms of performance (disregard the build quality part a bit, since I don't mind that much, I keep IEMs in a case when not in use)
As of this moment, after about two hours of listening, this is pretty much top notch. But as said, I won't go in details until I listened to it more.

And thanks. :)

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #38,617 of 63,914
I've been listening to the ZSN for an average of 6-8 hours every day since it arrived. Well, I encountered my namesake a while ago.

The original CD FLAC of Rebecca Pidgeon's sublime The Raven was playing from the Cayin N3 (low-gain, vol. level 56, wide-bore silicone tips) and when Spanish Harlem started there it was. Admittedly this extraordinary track, with all the S and T consonants in the lyrics, is inherently sibilant, albeit just so. As is natural human speech, of course, when these same consonants are aspirated in a particular manner.

Curious, I connected the N3 to the Topping NX4 (line-out) then the ZSN to the NX4 (low-gain) and played Spanish Harlem again. Oh my! At around 10 o'clock of the volume pot my namesake sort of melted into Rebecca Pidgeon's voice and disappeared.

My headache's gone. I'm happy. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #38,618 of 63,914
I've been listening to the ZSN for an average of 6-8 hours every day since it arrived. Well, I encountered my namesake a while ago.

The original CD FLAC of Rebecca Pidgeon's sublime The Raven was playing from the Cayin N3 (low-gain, vol. level 56, wide-bore silicone tips) and when Spanish Harlem started there it was. Admittedly this extraordinary track, with all the S and T consonants in the lyrics, is inherently sibilant, albeit just so. As is natural human speech, of course, when these same consonants are aspirated in a particular manner.

Curious, I connected the N3 to the Topping NX4 (line-out) then the ZSN to the NX4 (low-gain) and played Spanish Harlem again. Oh my! At around 10 o'clock of the volume pot my namesake sort of melted into Rebecca Pidgeon's voice and disappeared.

My headache's gone. I'm happy. :smile_phones:

So, ZSN benefits from amping - "wakes up" the dynamic driver, balances out BA or dynamic upper mids/lower highs?

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #38,620 of 63,914
Got my BT10's in earlier today and (fortunately) they are in phase. Gave them a full charge before pairing, they are full volume on the BT10 and average about 45-50% on my phone. Currently been playing non-stop for approx. 4hr 15mins.

Update: low battery warning finally hit. 3:45pm-11:01pm 7hrs 16mins.

I’m glad to hear yours arrived with correct phase wiring.

Yeah, I forgot to update my testing. I pretty consistently get 6.5-7.5 hours now, from fully charged to fully drained. I did all my testing at normal listening levels, which depending on the IEM ranges from 30%-5”% volume.

I’m quite happy with the BT10 overall, assuming it arrives in-phase. I didn’t mind resoldering mine, but I know this will be a problem for some folks without soldering tools/skills.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #38,621 of 63,914

Sub $20? Nothing that I’ve ever heard.

Maybe in the future. I mean, look at what $20 got us 3 years ago, compared to what $12 gets us today.

Look at braided cables - what used to be only on $1k IEMs years ago seem to be the norm on today’s budget ChiFi.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #38,622 of 63,914
If 100 people buy an IEM, and 99 of them love it and rave about how awesome it is, and only one person feels its just ok, then its not a hype train people.

I am a little shocked ZSN is as loved as it is though. Its overall presentation is "in your face" and pretty aggressive. Very energetic. its tight fast bass, clean mids and bright treble make it an all genre encompassing IEM. I listen to just about every genre of music that exist. I love the fact that these IEMs don't control what I listen too. Everything I have thrown at them sounds good to me, but its aggressive nature and how people are receiving it does have me a little surprised.

I spent the day yesterday with Uiisii CM5. A Legend status IEM that everyone should own IMO. While the CM5 sounds great throughout the entire freq, its presentation is smooth and laidback. This sort of character dictates what I listen too. I don't find it particularly fun to listen to Opeth with smooth and laidback IEMs. I do however find that Reggae, Dub, Boom Bap Hip Hop, Jazz, R&B and Soul sounds better with a smooth presentation. While CM5 is a better choice for me for the above mentioned genres, ZSN still sounds great playing them too. Throw in the fact that ZSN gives me complete musical freedom, makes it a daily driver for me. Other IEMs may do some things better, but overall ZSN is a remarkable accomplishment at $14.

AS10, BA10 and ZSN. KZ is coming hard right now. High hopes for ZS7. :)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #38,623 of 63,914
I am a little shocked ZSN is as loved as it is though. Its overall presentation is "in your face" and pretty aggressive. Very energetic. its tight fast bass, clean mids and bright treble make it an all genre encompassing IEM. I listen to just about every genre of music that exist. I love the fact that these IEMs don't control what I listen too. Everything I have thrown at them sounds good to me, but its aggressive nature and how people are receiving it does have me a little surprised.

Maybe I do not find the ZSN agressive because I never ever listen at high volume levels. With speakers I will now and again but never with something stuck into my ear. I want to still enjoy music when I am 95!

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #38,624 of 63,914
Sub $20? Nothing that I’ve ever heard.

Maybe in the future. I mean, look at what $20 got us 3 years ago, compared to what $12 gets us today.

Look at braided cables - what used to be only on $1k IEMs years ago seem to be the norm on today’s budget ChiFi.

I'm actually quite excited on the $20 range after ZSN released just so I can slowly bait more friends/people into chi-fi. Right now the ZSN is no brainer (we can get it for like $12 here too), but another choice that offers a different sig would be pretty great for competition and variety.

ZSN is just so easy to recommend due to the complete package (good SQ and great build quality).

I'm still waiting on the supposed ZS7 (that solid blue color just tickles me fancy), but more excited for the AS06 (3BA per side instead of 5 should make tuning it simpler and showcase the quality of their current BA tech).

their official site was never actually useful, but it was always up. Seems they realized its pointless and just let it die

http://www.kzacoustics.com/

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #38,625 of 63,914
my zsn hasnt arrived yet im hyped for the as06 and even more for the zs7 though it looks like a polaris rip off, i dont mind it since i like campfire design anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back