Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #36,271 of 64,191
I received the ZS4 today.

I am impressed. THIS is what the ZS3 should have sounded like all along! KZ cleaned up the ZS3's issues, and the ZS4 sounds like the ZS3 on steroids.

I am amazed that so much can be bought for so little. And I like the new stock wire, which is the nicest KZ wire yet IMO. It still has the metal memory wire, but it has never bothered me on the ZS3 so it works just fine. The glossy red color is just plain sexy as heck too. It would have been cool to have a red/blue option like the IT01.

KZ even put the Right and Left font right-side up this time too, so no stupid upside-down looking writing. The font is very subdued, and not even really noticeable against the red, so I'm not even going to remove the lettering.

Also, I have not taken them apart yet, but they look like a modders dream. The shell halves come apart just like the ZS3, but more importantly the nozzle appears to come apart exactly in half as well! This means there is easy access to the BA, which could easily be swapped out for something better (like a Knowles). I'm definitely buying a 2nd set during 11.11. I just haven't decided if I'm going to mod them with a Knowles BA or not. It would definitely be easier to do to the ZS4 than the ZS3 though.

If you have an opportunity to pick up a set, definitely do so!

P.S. - KZ has made a revision to the black Starline tips. They are thinner, lighter, and made of softer silicone now. This makes them more comfortable than previous Starlines. The very tip is also shaped differently (at least on the medium size). The very tip of the opening comes to a sharp point (like on Auvios), instead of the previous Starlines that looked like you sanded off the tip of the opening and made it flat. I know that sounds confusing, so I can post a photo if anyone wants to see the difference. Anyways, I don't own any other 2018 KZ models, so I don't know if this change to the black Starline tips is with the ZS4, or if other 2018 models have this new version (ED15, ED16, ES4, ZS10, AS10, etc).

I have 2018 ED16 that came with the old style tips.

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #36,272 of 64,191

I am impressed. THIS is what the ZS3 should have sounded like all along! KZ cleaned up the ZS3's issues, and the ZS4 sounds like the ZS3 on steroids.

I am amazed that so much can be bought for so little. And I like the new stock wire, which is the nicest KZ wire yet IMO. It still has the metal memory wire, but it has never bothered me on the ZS3 so it works just fine. The glossy red color is just plain sexy as heck too. It would have been cool to have a red/blue option like the IT01.

KZ even put the Right and Left font right-side up this time too, so no stupid upside-down looking writing. The font is very subdued, and not even really noticeable against the red, so I'm not even going to remove the lettering.

Also, I have not taken them apart yet, but they look like a modders dream. The shell halves come apart just like the ZS3, but more importantly the nozzle appears to come apart exactly in half as well! This means there is easy access to the BA, which could easily be swapped out for something better (like a Knowles). I'm definitely buying a 2nd set during 11.11. I just haven't decided if I'm going to mod them with a Knowles BA or not. It would definitely be easier to do to the ZS4 than the ZS3 though.

P.S. - KZ has made a revision to the black Starline tips. They are thinner, lighter, and made of softer silicone now. This makes them more comfortable than previous Starlines. The very tip is also shaped differently (at least on the medium size). The very tip of the opening comes to a sharp point (like on Auvios), instead of the previous Starlines that looked like you sanded off the tip of the opening and made it flat. I know that sounds confusing, so I can post a photo if anyone wants to see the difference. Anyways, I don't own any other 2018 KZ models, so I don't know if this change to the black Starline tips is with the ZS4, or if other 2018 models have this new version (ED15, ED16, ES4, ZS10, AS10, etc).
AS10's come with those soft ones. ZS10's are the hard starlines. They're much more comfortable.

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #36,273 of 64,191
I have 2018 ED16 that came with the old style tips.

I wonder if that's why that ebay seller was blowing out the black Starlines cheap (20 pairs for $1). Maybe KZ was trying to get rid of a mountain of old tips, because they had this revised tip in the works?

AS10's come with those soft ones. ZS10's are the hard starlines. They're much more comfortable.

Agreed, way more comfortable. I wish I could buy a few dozen pairs of the new tips! So soft and comfy!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #36,274 of 64,191

I am amazed that so much can be bought for so little. And I like the new stock wire, which is the nicest KZ wire yet IMO. It still has the metal memory wire, but it has never bothered me on the ZS3 so it works just fine. The y-split is ridiculously low though (it's like 2" away from my waist)! KZ really needed a chin slider on this cable. It's not a deal breaker though; nothing a keyboard o-ring or braces rubber band can't fix.

The glossy red color is just plain sexy as heck too. It would have been cool to have a red/blue option like the IT01.

How does the zs4 compare to zs5v1 and zs6 sound wise, especially the sound stage.
Cheers mate.

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #36,275 of 64,191
You're not supposed to be buying any new IEMs Coil! Your modded IT01 were supposed to be your end game earphones lol
I knew you couldn't resist all of the new shiny things for long
Well... actually IT01 is still my all time favourite and no need for new IEMs.
PHB was already planned buy for workhorse IEM to replace YinJw woodie I`m currently using when working.
ZS4 was also long planned buy because of fit/looks(red) and modding donor.

Not even dreaming/thinking buying AS10/BA10/ZS10/ZSR/ZS6/ED16 etc. I`m out of KZ hoarding madness for sure and still think ZS5v1 will be my personal top KZ (it just sounds so darn right and good with my gear and slightly modded).

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #36,276 of 64,191
My KZ USB-C cable arrived yesterday. Wanted to check it out with my TRN V80, since I don't have any of my KZs around, but I got confused. The KZ plug has this U/boat shape:
IMG_20180912_102954.jpg
And I've no idea how to plug it into the V80s correctly.
Like this:
IMG_20180912_102756_1.jpg
Or like this:
IMG_20180912_102819_1.jpg

What's really bugging me though, is the fact that the left side is quite loose and the sound cuts every time I move or tilt my head even a little bit. It doesn't happen with the stock cable.
I hope it's a fit issue between the two, and not a QC problem with the cable.

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #36,277 of 64,191
I absolutely LOVE what came out of that philips research - The Fidelio X1 I own (custom cable) - absolute sound bliss for my ears and with my gear pairing.
Ora is the real deal. The rest are just a coating sprayed onto a standard diaphragm (like mylar). Ora has patented a process where they layer multiple sheets of 100% pure graphene, like how plywood is made.
I thought IT01 also has multi-layered graphene... ?

I am amazed that so much can be bought for so little. And I like the new stock wire, which is the nicest KZ wire yet IMO. It still has the metal memory wire, but it has never bothered me on the ZS3 so it works just fine. The y-split is ridiculously low though (it's like 2" away from my waist)! KZ really needed a chin slider on this cable. It's not a deal breaker though; nothing a keyboard o-ring or braces rubber band can't fix.

The glossy red color is just plain sexy as heck too. It would have been cool to have a red/blue option like the IT01.

Nice feedback! Maybe I`ll save my first pair of ZS4 from disassembly-death-for-modding and get more of them.... who knows, I decided to stop-ditch all my other mods and finish only ZS5v1 mod.

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #36,278 of 64,191
My KZ USB-C cable arrived yesterday. Wanted to check it out with my TRN V80, since I don't have any of my KZs around, but I got confused. The KZ plug has this U/boat shape:

And I've no idea how to plug it into the V80s correctly.
Like this:

Or like this:

What's really bugging me though, is the fact that the left side is quite loose and the sound cuts every time I move or tilt my head even a little bit. It doesn't happen with the stock cable.
I hope it's a fit issue between the two, and not a QC problem with the cable.

Just line up the L and R letters on the cable with the L and R letters on the IEM.

And as far as it fitting loose, just splay the legs of the pins slightly.

upload_2018-9-12_7-15-58.jpeg

Details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2204#post-14283695

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #36,279 of 64,191
I absolutely LOVE what came out of that philips research - The Fidelio X1 I own (custom cable) - absolute sound bliss for my ears and with my gear pairing.

I thought IT01 also has multi-layered graphene... ?

Nice feedback! Maybe I`ll save my first pair of ZS4 from disassembly-death-for-modding and get more of them.... who knows, I decided to stop-ditch all my other mods and finish only ZS5v1 mod.

I will check with Ora for clarification, to see how their technology differs from ibasso’s.

As far as my comment about your end game modding, I was just joking around with you. No need to explain yourself! Believe me, I know all too well the temptations of this hobby :)

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #36,280 of 64,191
By the way, with all the graphene driver talk I've come to wonder whether any other KZ models than ES4 have been touted in their promo materials as having a graphene DD? And did they really use a different DD for ES4, or is that a marketing department's fluke?

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #36,281 of 64,191
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #36,282 of 64,191
I will check with Ora for clarification, to see how their technology differs from ibasso’s.

As far as my comment about your end game modding, I was just joking around with you. No need to explain yourself! Believe me, I know all too well the temptations of this hobby :)
I talked on iBasso thread about this....

IBasso didn't replied

Some said it was mylar coated with graphene on both side.
5um mylar is available in market

Some said it was multi layer graphene(which according to researches, only ora has)...

Dont know..

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #36,284 of 64,191
How is iBasso IT01 isolation versus ZS3/4? I like the graph of IT01 much better, but I also like isolation. And stuff that costs 10x less than other stuff. That too. Need to get that 11.11 list straight, anyhow.

On a different matter, this part in ES4 descriptions is bull, right?
HTB1.H.8gyCYBuNkSnaVq6AMsVXaG.jpg

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #36,285 of 64,191
How is iBasso IT01 isolation versus ZS3/4? I like the graph of IT01 much better, but I also like isolation. And stuff that costs 10x less than other stuff. That too. Need to get that 11.11 list straight, anyhow.

On a different matter, this part in ES4 descriptions is bull, right?
HTB1.H.8gyCYBuNkSnaVq6AMsVXaG.jpg
mids of es4 are not clean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back