Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 3, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #36,076 of 63,929
Have you played with EQ settings with Cipher Apple app + KZ iems? that's a pretty slick way to get EQ on iOS devices. :)

All this talk of cables -- I actually prefer no memory wire at all, even for over-ear style. I like using soft-braided cables and just wear them over-ears without the memory wires. It makes it easier to adjust, if needed, and roll-up and store away for me.

Hmmm, I searched for that Cipher app and can’t find it in the Apple app store.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #36,078 of 63,929
Sep 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #36,079 of 63,929
Thanks.

So it requires the Cipher cable too? Because the app description says the app works in conjunction with the DAC chip built into the Cipher cable.

Since I have no Cipher cable, the app doesn’t sound like it will work for me.

You do need a Audeze Cipher cable to use the Audeze Cipher app, but I also sent you a PM.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #36,080 of 63,929
For most people. I am just weird. I do not own a smartphone which probably surprises people if they see how much electronics I do have. If I did have one I would not answer it anyway. Why do we have to be available every second of the day?. Getting way off topic now.

Speaking of options, I wish we could always choose between a straight or an angled plug. I would always choose straight if I had the choice. My best DAPs have an OTG function which I do use to expand my music storage. An angled plug gets in the way.
Some jobs expect individuals to be qvaiavail, on call, as needed. That's the world we live in today and as an individual in the prime of my working life, I have to stay competitive. I still don't buy cables with mics. RegrdRega the plug, I think it depends on the application. I used to be big on angled plugs howener, my current DAC (portable) is 3.5mm balanced and my 2.5 to 3.5 balanced adapter is right angle, so I get straight plug 2.5mm cables to still eventually wnd in a right angle termination

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #36,082 of 63,929
Is it normal that the ZSR don't hold well on the ZS3 stock cable? they unplug too easily

It's normal that KZ build tolerances are not very tight. For their price range, that's hardly unexpected. My Brainwavz B400s had the same issue. There will be some unit-to-unit variation in the sockets and in the cables at this level. If it's a real concern, you can see what sort of warranty KZ has.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #36,083 of 63,929
Is it normal that the ZSR don't hold well on the ZS3 stock cable? they unplug too easily

Not in my experience. You do have to watch as cables are available in both .75 and .78 millimeter pin sizes and once you use a .78, you will have to from then on as the .75s will fall off like you are describing.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #36,084 of 63,929
More fuel for Anglegate 2018. This works really well for keeping my DAP in my back pocket.

IMG_20180904_070234.jpg

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #36,086 of 63,929
Don't discount the ZS6 for metal. Different representation, but I find it's more energetic than the ES4, which helps for some of the more cleanly-produced stuff. Tool, Iced Earth, Dream Theater, and Otep all sound stunning with the ZS6.

The ZS6 is a top notch metal IEM.
It's all good all of the time.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #36,088 of 63,929
Is there any other iem that can keep up to metal? Anybody has the dmg to compare?
Probably doesn't qualify as an IEM in the technical sense, but my iSine 10 is INSANE for metal. It's just something about the way that midrange shines that seems to make even crap-recorded metal sound great. Only hard part is figuring out how to get a solid seal to bring out the meaty low-end.

I understand if it's completely out of your price range, but I think you can find a pair for around $200 with some patience. r/AVExchange is a great resource for that.

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #36,089 of 63,929
Probably doesn't qualify as an IEM in the technical sense, but my iSine 10 is INSANE for metal. It's just something about the way that midrange shines that seems to make even crap-recorded metal sound great. Only hard part is figuring out how to get a solid seal to bring out the meaty low-end.

I understand if it's completely out of your price range, but I think you can find a pair for around $200 with some patience. r/AVExchange is a great resource for that.

I second iSine as a highly recommended!

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #36,090 of 63,929
I guess I am not supposed to name the company that makes them but imo the "6 in 1" is dope AF for metal. W shape with fast tight slightly elevated low end. Clear articulate mids that are forward sounding, and a clean crisp high end that gets really close to shhhplashhhy , but never gets there. At least to my 42 year old punk rock ears. While the iem is warm tones, the only gripe I have is that male vocals can sound thin. Oddly enough though I can actually understand cookie monster vocals clearly with these iems. Opeth, Carcass, Emporer, Dimmu all sound great. No muddy muddy to my ears.

I also like TRN V20 for metal too. Still waiting on my ZSA. Should be today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back