Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 29, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #35,941 of 63,919
Yeah I was surprised because the HDS3 was long out of stock, you can find them for around $40 on eBay, but these ones from the official KZ store are at its normal price.

Funny thing is that they should be worth much more than its normal price.
even as kz evolves into higher dollar multidriver sets, their ancient classics like the ed9 and hds3 remain relevant. at $8 the hds3 is a no-brainer which i still reach for over a lot of much pricier microdrivers.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #35,942 of 63,919
Please go one size up and try a shallow seal. ZS10 with Shanling M0 is really growing on me. With Sony A17, there's just too much sub-bass rumble.

Now we know, why they have vents on the shell and the BA bass driver. You could try increasing the size of the bass vent.

I am at large already, and its frustrating that I cant get a good seal, I am going to try some comply tips I have at home to see if that works. I am afraid its the angle causing the problem.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #35,943 of 63,919
I find with some KZ iems that the large tips are still too small to seal correctly then I use large Auvio tips and that does the trick

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #35,944 of 63,919
I’m very sorry I was not specific. All I need is a replacement for the silver upgrade cable I bought a year back. Something equally good or better than the silver kz cable for the same amount preferably under 10$. Looking for the one that gives the best sound and mic is preferred. Rest are just optional. Would like something that doesn’t turn green though.

Anybody?

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #35,945 of 63,919
Hmmm, specs look exactly the same as the previous one. The only difference I can see is the neck wire. I personally don’t think that difference alone is worth $40 vs $20. You can buy (2) BT3 for every (1) BT10.

I guess it depends on each individual if the neck wire is worth it.

Interesting, I bought the BT3 a long time ago and in all my investigations could never get anything more than SBC from it.

Now it’s saying that it has APT-X and AAC support!

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #35,946 of 63,919
I am at large already, and its frustrating that I cant get a good seal, I am going to try some comply tips I have at home to see if that works. I am afraid its the angle causing the problem.

I find that I need Spinfit tips in these cases.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #35,947 of 63,919
Thanks for all your suggestions :wink:

I decided to skip the ED16, having already the ZSR (it seems controversial which one is better, i'd say the opinions I have read are split more or less in half... but almost everyone agree that they share a very similar sound identity... so I prefer to try something different)

I'll put the HDS3 in the cart though :wink: also I like that they seem to be really portable.
at $8 the hds3 is a no-brainer which i still reach for over a lot of much pricier microdrivers.
I'll tell you a secret... it's 6.42 USD not 8 :p by the way, I have found this... is it a different revision or what? (it's also available from china, so they probably ship all over the world for the ones interested :wink: )
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ml?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.4bac7ed2g3cR2a

should I get the regular HDS3 or these?

so here is the shopping list :p
ED9
ZSA
ES4

ED16: dropped, see above
ZS6: they really appeal me, but the "higher" price tag is holding me back considering this crazy shopping... maybe next time :wink:
HDS3?
ATE?​

And then:
ZSR (already have them)
KZ USB-C cable
TNR BT3 or BT10 cable? both around 20 USD

EDIT: ok, just noticed the acoustic chamber is more open, so they are probably completely different... do you confirm the HDS3 is the one to go?
KZ-ED-Special-Edition-Gold-Plated-Housing-Earphone-with-Microphone-3-5mm-HD-HiFi-In-Ear.jpg

And... I've heard a lot about the ATE... is it just because they were among the first good models and the newer models I've bought are better from every point of view, or should I still get them? Found them for 8.13 USD... oh god this chi-fi... I didn't need another addiction :p
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...o-Earphones-Super-Bass-Noise/32463888005.html
(by the way, is the ATE the best variant? cause I see also the ATES and the ATR)
New-Original-KZ-ATE-3-5mm-In-Ear-Earphones-HIFI-Metal-Stereo-Earphones-Super-Bass-Noise.jpg

P.S.
LOL... a KZ clone?? XD https://qkzwholesalers.aliexpress.com/store/bigsale/1246446_224021.html

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #35,948 of 63,919
I find that I need Spinfit tips in these cases.

uhm... I had seen these spinfits in one of the shops where I'm buying the IEMs... a bit pricey compared to the other models, 6-7 USD for a pair I think... should I get them or there are other cheaper options to try first?

in general, what accessories should I buy for my KZs? which one do you suggest here for example: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gr...89d4882R5dH9K&origin=n&SortType=price_asc&g=y

I'm talking about the eartips, but also those silicone hooks... are they any good?

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #35,949 of 63,919

I decided to skip the ED16, having already the ZSR (it seems controversial which one is better, i'd say the opinions I have read are split more or less in half... but almost everyone agree that they share a very similar sound identity... so I prefer to try something different)

I'll put the HDS3 in the cart though :wink: also I like that they seem to be really portable.

I'll tell you a secret... it's 6.42 USD not 8 :p by the way, I have found this... is it a different revision or what? (it's also available from china, so they probably ship all over the world for the ones interested :wink: )
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ml?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.4bac7ed2g3cR2a

ED9
ZSA
ES4

ZS6: they really appeal me, but the "higher" price tag is holding me back considering this crazy shopping... maybe next time :wink:
HDS3?
ATE?​

And then:
ZSR (already have them)
KZ USB-C cable

EDIT: ok, just noticed the acoustic chamber is more open, so they are probably completely different... do you confirm the HDS3 is the one to go?
KZ-ED-Special-Edition-Gold-Plated-Housing-Earphone-with-Microphone-3-5mm-HD-HiFi-In-Ear.jpg

And... I've heard a lot about the ATE... is it just because they were among the first good models and the newer models I've bought are better from every point of view, or should I still get them? Found them for 8.13 USD... oh god this chi-fi... I didn't need another addiction :p
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...o-Earphones-Super-Bass-Noise/32463888005.html
(by the way, is the ATE the best variant? cause I see also the ATES and the ATR)
New-Original-KZ-ATE-3-5mm-In-Ear-Earphones-HIFI-Metal-Stereo-Earphones-Super-Bass-Noise.jpg

P.S.
LOL... a KZ clone?? XD https://qkzwholesalers.aliexpress.com/store/bigsale/1246446_224021.html
the picture looks more like a edr1 than the hds3, which to my knowledge has three holes in the back--i'd buy the hds3 from the kz official store to be sure.
wrt the kz5/kz6, while opinions vary i find them both vg sounding, but i don't like the form factor--they're large and awkward fitting, where the recent iteration of kz multidrivers are sleeker and more comfortable for me. i personally don't love the ate/atr as much as some (for $5 i'd get the edr1) but many people do; they're certainly cheap enough to try for yourself.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #35,950 of 63,919
uhm... I had seen these spinfits in one of the shops where I'm buying the IEMs... a bit pricey compared to the other models, 6-7 USD for a pair I think... should I get them or there are other cheaper options to try first?

in general, what accessories should I buy for my KZs? which one do you suggest here for example: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gr...89d4882R5dH9K&origin=n&SortType=price_asc&g=y

I'm talking about the eartips, but also those silicone hooks... are they any good?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ar-Earphones-Headset/1825606_32721513220.html
Good price in this sale

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #35,952 of 63,919

ED9
ZSA
ES4

HDS3?
ATE?​

And then:
ZSR (already have them)
KZ USB-C cable

P.S.

My two cents:

Last night I compared the HDS3 to the ZSR.

The bass, midrange and treble have better resolution on the ZSR.
In addition the bass, midrange and treble are all slightlymore forward on the ZSR (better presence in each case).
The HDS3 is a lot of fun but in my opinion you need to have eartips that will fit the 3mm nozzles and seal your ear canals well.
Finally, I find that the HDS3 micro-driver scales well with more power.

If you've lots of eartips and a good source then the HDS3 is a "no-brainer" like Loomis said.
If not then you should pick up the ATE because it has a different sound signature than the ED9, ZSA and ES4 in your cart.

I have the ATE(ii) and it, apparently, sounds different from the ATE(v) available today. If I understand correctly, the ATE(v) sounds a lot like the ATR which is worth getting. The ATE(ii) is not my preferred sound signature. It would be best to get confirmation about said differences from someone who owns all three (ATE(ii), ATE(v) & ATR) because I only have two of the three.

At any rate, this is the HDS3

2018-08-29-09-16-42-1158425354.jpg

2018-08-29-09-17-05-1781421296.jpg

ATR Review

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-atr-in-ear-monitor.23032/reviews

Also, unless you collect KZ's, like some of us, there is no need to pick up the ED Special Edition because they share a similar sound signature to the ED9. The ED9 does a better job of the same sound signature (more open airy presentation with better timbre).

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #35,953 of 63,919
Interesting, I bought the BT3 a long time ago and in all my investigations could never get anything more than SBC from it.

Now it’s saying that it has APT-X and AAC support!

There’s 2 versions of the BT3 - one with aptX and one without. You have to choose the right one (and the price was a few dollars higher for the aptX one). It sounds like you got the non-aptX one.

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #35,954 of 63,919
KZ-Blueooth-Aptx-M-dulo-4-1-M-dulo-de-Atualiza-o-Sem-Fio-Prova-D.jpg_640x640.jpg

Good afternoon everyone, I'm interested in the new Bluetooth module of KZ, however I can not find if it has the problem of the previous version, that you can not see videos because the sound is delayed. Is this present in this?

I appreciate everyone's attention.

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #35,955 of 63,919
KZ-Blueooth-Aptx-M-dulo-4-1-M-dulo-de-Atualiza-o-Sem-Fio-Prova-D.jpg_640x640.jpg

Good afternoon everyone, I'm interested in the new Bluetooth module of KZ, however I can not find if it has the problem of the previous version, that you can not see videos because the sound is delayed. Is this present in this?

I appreciate everyone's attention.

Hi friend, if you do a search (and limit it to within this thread), you’ll find the answer to your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back