Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 20, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #34,861 of 63,916
I'm not a marketing/consumer psychologist, but it is usually due to many different reasons.

It's not that people try and intentionally mislead others. It's usually just small benign resaons:

1. "New toy" bias
2. Psychological expectations (like when pictures of the food on the menu looks awesome, so it influences your expectation)
3. Inexperience with listening to a lot of different gear
4. Brain burn in (or physical burn in)
5. Your ears that day (humidity, the seal you get (or don't get), ear inflammation, if you have a cold or congestion that day, etc).
6. Time. Often OOTB stuff can be judged prematurely vs after critical listening for weeks. It's an easy mistake to make - @crabdog literally just did this (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...hones-and-iems.820747/page-1113#post-14370537)
7. Buying into the hype, which then clouds your judgement.
8. Perceived value (lower cost products are usually given more leeway to mediocre performance than much more expensive, such as a $0.99 burger vs a $500 Kobe steak)
9. QC variations. Maybe someone got lucky, and got a REALLY good/golden ear pair, which sound unusually better than some of the others.
10. Manufacturers quietly making a change. This is kind of related to the previous, and it does/has happened. The initial batch goes out and it's awesome. Then they quietly change it and it sucks. This just happened not to long ago with the BGVP DS1 v1 vs v2 (the "good" one = "TN forum" version).
11. Flat out just making an honest mistake. We all do; no one is perfect.

etc
I feel like this should be made its own post and stickied. So many people I know don't really think about some of these things when it comes to reviews.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #34,862 of 63,916
Haha... I always told them to not put the cherry on mine.

As for tips and lips, I have never had a tip come off in my ear.
sigh...I did (shamefully raises hand). Negative effects of trimming one of the tip stems too short with the ZS10. Luckily, I had pliers nearby.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #34,863 of 63,916
Yeah, sure, but why it is such a problem to state something isn't really a new holy grail? Is it the money? They really that expensive to try to justify the investment by praising it.

I'd understand if it was a 300 dollar pair of earphones...
Its not a ZS10 tuning, I am sure of it.

Some people get psychologically effected when they see two similar things

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #34,864 of 63,916
Luckily there have been no real changes to the ZS6. Well, technically 1 minor one (a nozzle lip), but it is random and not on every ZS6.

This post breaks it all down.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1934#post-14098992
Wrong post in quote.

An iem is always different to other iem, no matter how much you put equaliser onto it, because eq can't control decay, propagation, distortion and phases. You will need convolution program with math code to do that. Something we will call pure neutral is when you convolute a ety er4sr and take response to match other iem. Its very hard and needs a lot of math or audrino to create sound replicator and then find current signal affecting it and compare to original and then creating a circuit inside 3.5mm jack

That way you can reach pure neutral.

Neutraliser is not normalised because normalised normalise the volume, neutraliser helps you find your ear resonance and some other peaks to tame down. Always compare other frequency with 500Hz(my reference) or with 1kHz(companies reference, but I find it peaky).

ZS10 reacts well to Neutraliser, I mean way pretty good but their is a slight incoherency, which some people may find good as it is resolving, but that single driver like sound from a multi driver setup is missing which I find ES4 excel in.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #34,865 of 63,916
Screenshot_20180721-103644.png
my rose north forest profile :p

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #34,866 of 63,916
Its not a ZS10 tuning, I am sure of it.

Some people get psychologically effected when they see two similar things
I said "zs10 like", meaning that it's similar, not the same. Looking at their fr graphs, they look quite close, apart from the treble region. Of course, sound differs with the driver count difference and all, but not that much, really.

Some people didn't resell theirs right away, and can actually compare first hand :wink:

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #34,867 of 63,916
I said "zs10 like", meaning that it's similar, not the same. Looking at their fr graphs, they look quite close, apart from the treble region. Of course, sound differs with the driver count difference and all, but not that much, really.

Some people didn't resell theirs right away, and can actually compare first hand :wink:

You don't count upper mids in treble.

ZS10 is boosted on 2kHz and above region and then falling on treble region.

And today I eq'ed the ES4 to etymotic like sound on PEACE UI
IMG_20180721_141307.jpg

And now I was able to hear incoherency, which was still very little, just the bass sounded a little faraway, this doesn't happen with single driver or multi BA, but with hybrids. Because dynamic sound of propagation and BA is very different (BA is like Beam and Dynamic is like more air).

But I was still able to enjoy ES4, even without bass(I dropped a lot). It sounded apparently better than etymotic er4 because of lower distortion.

That is not the case with ZS10. It just gets clearer but at same time turns out to be incoherent. This may sound like detailing to someone or separated instruments but when I listened to sine tones, I was shocked his much 2kHz was still inside my head(forward) and 98Hz to 1.3Khz to much back. And this us after Eq. This gave me a sense of backstage but the upper mids and lower treble makes things metalic(after Eq, before Eq it was borderline to nasal or you can say nasal on some tracks).

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #34,871 of 63,916
bSWEjuL.jpg

WNJiugV.jpg

Yeah, massive differences all the way up to 4K... Upper mids are not boosted at all on the ES4, I can see it now.
Actually, all the latest KZ products look like this, maybe except ZSR. There's the hump starting at 1k, then the drop at 4k, and then the zigzag random thing, sometimes including huge, short-lived drops like ESR at 16k. Not much hope they'll fix all of that any time soon.
There's this one non-Chi-Fi budget series by Sennheiser, the CX series, I want some graph making reviewer to test, like Audiobudget. These have awesome graphs available, but not many reviews stacking them up against KZs and other Chi-Fi.

Sennheiser_CX%202.00_All_-_-_SIEC_-_90_20-20k_-_fr_impedance.png

Would be fun if this flipped the giant-killing narrative into a Chi-Fi-killing one. Too bad the design of this series is extremely basic and doesn't look robust, neither is it customizable. Aside from that, this is how a graph is supposed to look at every price category (the source of this graph, RAA, also have tested a few of the same models as Audiobudget, and the graphs generally look similar, so they're comparable across models which only one of the two have tested). Maybe except under 5$, but I doubt anyone who's gotten as far as audiophile forums would expect anything of the sort.

Jul 21, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #34,872 of 63,916
Hi, I did test yersteday a fresh ES3 with stock mic cable. My feelings:
Bass are big and round
Voices are recessed (level and details)
Highs are sibilant, and it is disturbing
My fresh ES3 is not well tuned
So now let try a long burn in...
I can compare with my:

# ZST (burn in 80h, stock no mic cable)
Bass: very good level, some details,
Voices slightly recessed but more level and details than ES3
High: Very good, details, no sibilance (after long burn in)
the ZST is well tuned, warm large spatial soundstage, good instruments separation.
# ZSR (burn in 10h, KZ silver cable)
Bass: Powerfull, defined, goes deep and deeper with same energy, not excessive & pushes hard when needed
Voices: Good details, slightly recessed in some cases
Highs: Excellent, usualy not sibilant
The ZSR is like a super ZST
# ZS6 fresh out off the box (red, with ZS3 no-mic stock cable)
Bass: near ZSR but a bit different
Voices: Clear, detailed, not recessed, better than all others
Highs: Excellent, details, no sibilance, nearly as ZSR, lower level (Do I have a ZS6-ll ?)
The ZS6 is like a super ZSR...
Really? ZS6(II) ? There is no any V2 of ZS6.

Jul 21, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #34,873 of 63,916
khighly, you're initial impressions are very different from my own experience. The focal point or first thing I noticed with my ZSR was the bright, airy and detailed nature of the BAs, then the deep but limited bass you speak of. On my ZSR it's almost as if the upper-bass is absent and the midrange is coming only from the BAs so there is absolutely zero mid-bass bleeding into the midrange. They seem to perform wonderfully at lower volumes and my ZSR is actually brighter than my ZS6(i). My ZSR is not warm by any stretch. The words that come to mind are open, airy, detailed and clean. The bass goes deep but it definitely doesn't have enough weight to dominate the sound signature and force those BAs into submission, but at lower volumes the bass is in equal measure to the BAs.

EDR1

EDR2

HDS3

ED8
Hey bro you keep saying ZS6(i) is there any second version of KZ ZS6? And if there is how can we make sure if its V2 or not ?

Jul 21, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #34,875 of 63,916
Hey guys please answer me back i will buy ZS6 and is there anything like V2 or V1 of ZS6? or just every color is same ?

Somewhere in the middle of this thread it was finally determined that there is no version two. All colors should be the same. Choose the color you like best. I love my green ones but the other colors are nice too. Some people have them all:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back