Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #33,857 of 63,915
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #33,858 of 63,915
Personally I don't think ES4 needs anything.
Good to know... but I doubt it is comparable to IT01 (even in stock configuration). But I`ll know better when I receive my ES4(teal, no-mic).

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #33,859 of 63,915
So let’s get back on track with discussing KZs.

If you could ask KZ to make your next dream audio product, what would it be?

Truth be told, it would be my previous post because the ZS3 is my most comfortable IEM.........

If the mad scientists at KZ Acoustics are on their game they will issue this hybrid with their 6mm micro-dynamic for quick and textured bass coupled with their midrange BA for a vivid mid range (basically a more refined ZS3).

IMHO, this is one KZ that should remain warm and detailed. There are more than enough KZ hybrids with varying degrees of treble extension for micro-detail.

In short, a more refined EDR1 sound signature with bangin' bass, silky mids and very comfortable treble.

........but I would want them issued as a bundle.

One in black (warm and silky sound)
One in white (airy and clean).

VE tried this with the "Biggie" & "Smalls" and Kinera seems to be going for it with their Kinera "Seed" in black and their upcoming "Seed" in white (at least that was their communication to me).

kinera-seed-700x700.jpg

23101165_482981252083362_8254497942535143424_n.jpg

Other than this I'd really like to see KZ revisit and perfect a single dynamic driver IEM and issue them under a specific line like an "EX" prefix or the well received and already established "AT" prefix. Currently, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the "ED" or "ZS" monikers. KZ should put those prefixes to better use. Perhaps the "ZS" line for hybrids, the "ED" line for more neutral-leaning KZ's and the "HDS" line for micro-DD's (under said organizing the ED15 could have been dubbed the HDS5 due to it's micro-dynamic driver) while the "ES" line could be for.......

Launching an "EX" line or focusing the "AT" line specifically on single DD's and offering a dual pack (one bright and one warm) would be a great start.

They have soooooo many models coming out and with KZ's introduction of purely BA focused IEMs now would be the best time to organize things......... or you can simply expect chaos to ensue.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #33,860 of 63,915

If the mad scientists at KZ Acoustics are on their game they will issue this hybrid with their 6mm micro-dynamic for quick and textured bass coupled with their midrange BA for a vivid mid range (basically a more refined ZS3).

IMHO, this is one KZ that should remain warm and detailed. There are more than enough KZ hybrids with varying degrees of treble extension for micro-detail.

In short, a more refined EDR1 sound signature with bangin' bass, silky mids and very comfortable treble.

Isn't that the ZS4? Deleted wrong product in comment. new comment: when will these be released?.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #33,863 of 63,915
Isn't that the ZS4? I ordered 2 of them, and you are right about the signature. Really enjoyable.

Unless you own a time machine, the ZS4 is not out yet.

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #33,865 of 63,915
How will you know which BA to block? ED16 has 2 different BAs (30095 and 50060).

Even if you block the BA that is causing your problem, there’s no guarantee that you’ll block the same BA in the other shell.

You could potentially block 1 50060 in the left, and the 30095 in the right. Or you could block both 50060s, when in reality it’s the 30095s that were causing you the problems.

You can see the BAs thru the housing, here is a picture, zoom in and you can see the 30095 written on it. I will use Rodico to block one of them, it can be removed later if I change my mind.

7EhRB6D.jpg

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #33,867 of 63,915
I've used some graphs borrowed from Crinacle database to doodle Harman Kardon response target over a few KZ models.
Some of you might find them useful.

Also my 4 year old kid doodled over her stuff so yeah... very profi stuff going on here...

What do you think? Flagrant mistakes?

Now I know why ZS10 is harsh and shouty at higher commuting volume (but can't tell yet why treble feels more synthetic and less airy than zs5v1's, only guessing).
I'm trying to fix them via eq but I'm skeptical the upper treble can be salvaged with a regular 10 bands.

Also ES4 looks probably in the same ballpark mids wise with more bass and shy treble - don't think so.
I will probably give ED16 a whirl though, can't see huge issues there (that 8k peak is debatable).
20180619_214936.jpg 20180619_214921.jpg 20180619_214911.jpg 20180619_214833.jpg

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #33,868 of 63,915
Keep in mind that 98% of graphs you see are DIY graphs, are not compensated results, and are not taken on standardized measuring equipment.

Thanks for the reminder. That is a big reason why I trust my ears more than graphs. A lot of the test music I use is very familiar. I know how they sound in the auditoriums they were recorded in.

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #33,869 of 63,915
Keep in mind that 98% of graphs you see are DIY graphs, are not compensated results, and are not taken on standardized measuring equipment.
I would contend that singular DIY graphs from a person we don't know are probably more reliable than subjective impressions from that same person, particularly when considering how unreliable our absolute hearing is and how easily colored it is by various biases.

I wouldn't trust my own ears in an absolute sense, without a reference, despite the fact that I think I have pretty good hearing after having played and been around music all my life. Considering all the subjectivity in audio discussions, I have even less reason to trust the opinions of random individuals whose preferences are unfamiliar to me. This is before accounting for actual physical differences in hearing between individuals, whether due to biological reasons, electrical, environmental, etc.

Furthermore, if I see 5 DIY graphs from different sources that mostly agree with each other, I think it's safe to say that either they're colluding with each other or the graphs are reasonably accurate. Since I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I choose to assume the latter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back