Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 20, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #33,886 of 63,958
Try Zhiyin Z5000 with Venture Electronic junkosha silver mmcx cable 8 braid and spiral dot.

I can guarantee you,,, you will stop listening other IEM...

Even if I throw HifiMan re2000, you will throw them away

@Nymphonomaniac

After two exchange, I got the better Z5000 or the driver QC solved version...

They are not iBasso driver but beyerdynamic driver....it is known as Tesla driver and it has 3 layer of diaphragm with magnet reaching 1.4 Tesla.

iBasso have driver magnet reaching Tesla..

The Bass drop is on godly level, phantomic reach

OK, KZ have....sorry had one IEM, and that was the lovely KZ ZS5 v1 which was nodded by someone in this thread, I also did it, open back(crudish mod) before giving them away...

It had phenomenal stage and speed but ZhiYin Z5000 is still more coherent.

Spiral dot was used to loose some bass as the subbass was ethereal and unbearable with symbio tips.

Best part is that the subbass is only boosted, and then mid bass to treble its a conventional balanced tuning without decay

That depends on your opinion and preference. But some people say z5000 sounds dark and if that's the case I won't like it as my preference leans toward neutral to bright signature. So throwing my IT01 is far beyond imagination just saying..lol..

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #33,887 of 63,958
That depends on your opinion and preference. But some people say z5000 sounds dark and if that's the case I won't like it as my preference leans toward neutral to bright signature. So throwing my IT01 is far beyond imagination just saying..lol..
It was too bassy, then hazy...now I got a good QC edition..

I replaced 2 times before getting the perfect pair

IBasso is love, I used it with CB12s silver copper dual wire and mid bass bleed vanished and treble got some sparkle...

But I sold it on profit. I will buy one, send to @CoiL for mod(if he agrees) and then use cb12s...

Till then I am working on a certain foam, which work something like ETL(embedded transmission line) which will take care of dual Helmholtz resonator cons.....the subbass decay(iBasso decay is natural, but decay is still decay and if tightened up...it can sound somewhat nicer)

KZ ES4, I am thinking of replacing armature with Knowles but finding the exact same spec driver....so that I don't have to change the crossovers.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #33,888 of 63,958
Till then I am working on a certain foam, which work something like ETL(embedded transmission line) which will take care of dual Helmholtz resonator cons.....the subbass decay(iBasso decay is natural, but decay is still decay and if tightened up...it can sound somewhat nicer)
Using foam to get it right could be harder way to go but maybe You hit "luck" with certain foam fast, I hope You do.
I used different approach with wood - certain length, width, angle wooden "piston" attached to backplate (for soundwaves dissipation/transition/absorption) right behind driver venting hole (perfectly centered).
Anyway, I did fine tuning by hand (annoying open-close(airtight)) and got rid of that "sub-bass decay", decreased littlebit sub-bass quantity and improved its tightness, raised littlebit midbass and its details/clarity, overall making whole sound signature more balanced, transparent, detailed(micro) and natural/coherent with natural air/decay/reverb.
KZ ES4, I am thinking of replacing armature with Knowles but finding the exact same spec driver....so that I don't have to change the crossovers.
I will see what I can do with those and let You know. I`m not fan of removing BA`s and drivers (desoldering) as it can easily damage(alter) sound of each individual unit as I don`t have very professional soldering station.

Oh, just realized this is KZ thread not chi-fi. Delete by admin if needed and sorry for OT.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #33,889 of 63,958
Using foam to get it right could be harder way to go but maybe You hit "luck" with certain foam fast, I hope You do.
I used different approach with wood - certain length, width, angle wooden "piston" attached to backplate (for soundwaves dissipation/transition/absorption) right behind driver venting hole (perfectly centered).
Anyway, I did fine tuning by hand (annoying open-close(airtight)) and got rid of that "sub-bass decay", decreased littlebit sub-bass quantity and improved its tightness, raised littlebit midbass and its details/clarity, overall making whole sound signature more balanced, transparent, detailed(micro) and natural/coherent with natural air/decay/reverb.

I will see what I can do with those and let You know. I`m not fan of removing BA`s and drivers (desoldering) as it can easily damage(alter) sound of each individual unit as I don`t have very professional soldering station.

Oh, just realized this is KZ thread not chi-fi. Delete by admin if needed and sorry for OT.
You opened the iBasso, Helmholtz resonator issue are already gone bro...

Helmholtz resonator can increase subBass, but due to late pressure release of Helmholtz resonator, decay increases substantially. Dual Helmholtz resonator is 4times normal resonator. IBasso took a perfect bass shy driver which can provide linear signature overall till 40kHz(there is rolloff but I think iBasso roll of is subtle and they are extended) and then added Helmholtz resonator to increase bass without touching driver electrical factor, complete mechanical excursion due to air pressure.... But when pressure is released in the cavity of IEM, the vent I saw on iBasso were very small, leading to driver flex and mid bass bleed for some. You just opened the pressure up and slight wood colouration(you gave it too many port to even get a woody sound)...that's why its TOTL..

KZ ES4 with spiral dot cleans bass and treble as the seal gets a little bad(loose bass) and internal polka dot suppress 5kHz and 10kHz without touching other frequencies. Use SPC cable

KZ ES4 with this mod makes them balanced sounding and lesser V shape. It sounds more open due to bad seal but booming bass and spiral dot takes care of treble issue. SQ wise nailed it.

You can also use Ostry 200 tips, but then reduce bass in equaliser. Open sounding and more air with even less chance f sibilance. Male vocal hollowness, if reported by some, is fixed...more cohesive sound due to front filter.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #33,890 of 63,958
Can someone recommend a good set of tips for KZ ZSR? I usually use the blue "whirlwind" wide-bore ones, but the bore is so wide, that the nozzle comes out of the tip almost completely and I can actually feel the mesh against the inside of my ear. Not really pleasant.
Any good tips for KZ ZSR besides blue "whirlwinds"?

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #33,894 of 63,958
yeah the funny thing is how can kz zs6 be good then some other 1k iems.. I cant imagine that really.. or the 1k iems are overpriced or kz zs6 is actually a gem and I dont know it lol.. btw I have kz zs6 too:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #33,895 of 63,958
You opened the iBasso, Helmholtz resonator issue are already gone bro...
Actually, no. Just making them open back actually makes them worse in sub-bass part (too loose, more quantity, over-shadowing mid-bass and its details).
Helmholtz resonator can increase subBass, but due to late pressure release of Helmholtz resonator, decay increases substantially. Dual Helmholtz resonator is 4times normal resonator. IBasso took a perfect bass shy driver which can provide linear signature overall till 40kHz(there is rolloff but I think iBasso roll of is subtle and they are extended) and then added Helmholtz resonator to increase bass without touching driver electrical factor, complete mechanical excursion due to air pressure.... But when pressure is released in the cavity of IEM, the vent I saw on iBasso were very small, leading to driver flex and mid bass bleed for some. You just opened the pressure up and slight wood colouration(you gave it too many port to even get a woody sound)...that's why its TOTL..
Driver flex problem with IT01 lies in front nozzle vent because even removing driver back vent fabric filter doesn`t remove driver flex completely.
I agree about the perfect tuned linear signature driver though and the help of helmholtz resonator.
But You didn`t seem to understand what I did to "turn backwards" issue caused from open shell but retain good part of it (my mod is not about just making them open-back with sheer wood "wall" behind driver venting hole):
That "piston" is hard to tune "right" giving enough "backwards air-pressure" to driver membrane through venting hole but at same time retain "open-shell" effect and wood sound properties (reflection/absorption of certain fr).

Sorry again for OT. Just needed to explain this one...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #33,896 of 63,958
Actually, no. Just making them open back actually makes them worse in sub-bass part (too loose, more quantity, over-shadowing mid-bass and its details).

Driver flex problem with IT01 lies in front nozzle vent because even removing driver back vent fabric filter doesn`t remove driver flex completely.
I agree about the perfect tuned linear signature driver though and the help of helmholtz resonator.
But You didn`t seem to understand what I did to "turn backwards" issue caused from open shell but retain good part of it (my mod is not about just making them open-back with sheer wood "wall" behind driver venting hole):

That "piston" is hard to tune "right" giving enough "backwards air-pressure" to driver membrane through venting hole but at same time retain "open-shell" effect.

Sorry again for OT. Just needed to explain this one...
I agree to the driver flex due to front of nozzle..... That's too small of vent...

Piston by the meaning, you want to say mass anchor?...

Because, how can you add something which moves..

Open back from @Slater experience do increase bass response....and I agree as driver excursion is freed( but decay should be still somewhat bearable I think...

Well can you do the wood mod for me too...(I will pay via PayPal)

Not right now by the way

And yes

Today I found a video where a guy was comparing ZS10 to 64audio u6 and said ZS10 was comparably good and better...

I was like....okay wait....I think they sound okay, and on some track unbearable.... How can they be better than u6, because I have also heard u6(they sound a little intimate, but are good)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #33,897 of 63,958
Piston by the meaning, you want to say mass anchor?...
Because, how can you add something which moves..
Well, I did use "" around "piston". Let me say more clearly then - cylinder. "piston" was derived from automotive term, something that "hits back/against pressure".
That cylinder is hardest part to get right angle/length/width and perfectly centered... that`s why I went with CNC way (and used hand-fine-tuning).
I will talk more about it and maybe even share CAD drawings to everyone when I finish writing "review" at IT01 thread. Patience please, takes time off from baby, house etc. :wink:

PS, sorry KZ fans, won`t rubbish this thread anymore.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #33,900 of 63,958
I think KZ ES4 killer came to the market

Xiaomi in ear Pro 2 QTEJ03JY

Reviews are going good.. Graphene diaphragm and proprietary BA designed now in collab with 1more and xiaomi(older one were 1more)

Don't know about these.....I will get a friend to buy these lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back