Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #33,241 of 63,898
+1 for this, since looking at this "ranking list".

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list-170-entries-11-05-update.857498/

Take a look at the signatures of the IEMs >$1000; all the way up to $3000:
"bassy"
"V-shaped"
"warm neutral"
Even "W-shaped"!
Why our KZ items are so poorly ranked I don't understand, but I suspect they wouldn't be if there was blind testing going on.
I'd like to hear your comments, brothers and sisters.

the highest grade I've tested based on the ranking is the UERM and that's in a different league than any other I've tested, dead flat is right on. Next would be Dita Brass (technically not the Brass, since its normal edition) and SE846, they definitely deserve their ranking. Its important to note that finding your preference is important before looking at any kind of review. Crinacle have his own criteria and understanding that, you can see why the ranking makes sense. He does make a disclaimer in the beginning that its just his opinion and don't get too offended by any statement he makes. For example, lots of people liked the Shozy Hibiki but he ranks it even lower than the ZS3 and ZST.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #33,242 of 63,898
I already have KZ ZS5 v1, ZSE, ZS6, and ZSR (among other IEMs), but based on the positive feedback they're getting I'm really tempted to buy the ES4... But does it even make sense? Are they really any better/different from the KZs that I own?
I don't own the ZS5 or Zse but I can confirm that the Es4 is different from the ZS6 and ZSR. The Es4 is just more cohesive. The mids sound much more natural and not mid scooped out. The treble is relaxed but very smooth and even. Bass is elevated but sounds great with good control and texture. The Es4 just has no nasty peaks or valleys. It's the only iem that I don't eq the mids up on. No need to. Guess I'm the Es4 fan boy now! Lol

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #33,243 of 63,898
I didn't know searching for new IEMs for work could be so dangerous. I'd been using Klipsch R6 ear buds. They were OK, but I wanted something better. Via a combination of Reddit and here I learn about KZ. Saw the ZS5 for $22 on GB a couple weeks ago and decided to give them a shot. After listening to a couple songs with the equalizer cut a couple db at 8khz I was blown away. Had the wife try them, she immediately wanted a pair, so I took that opportunity to order the zs10. Haven't received those yet but from the past several pages of this thread I decided I had to try the es4 too since they're only $14 at the moment. I guess my wallet can't hate you all too much at these prices...
Welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet :)

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #33,244 of 63,898
Just tried my new KZ ED16 (aka ZS7) for several hours. :ksc75smile:

Organic, luscious, with plenty of details!...Wow! These are a serious "game changer" for KZ! I'll be burning them in for at least 100 hours before determining their status. I seriously have to try these against my beloved ZS5 to see if they are worthy of the KZ throne.

-Clear :thumbsup:

I said the ED16 was good:). I just did not know how to describe it the way you have.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #33,247 of 63,898
Are the KZ ed16 the best KZ atm?

The "best" how?

Best price?
Best basshead signature?
Best comfort/fit?
Best looks?
Best for neutral signature?
Best natural timbre?
Best midrange?
Best clarity?
Best price-to-value ratio?
Best for small ears?
Best soundstage?
Best instrument separation?
Best fixed cable KZ?
Best removable cable KZ?
Best to use for working out?
Best when used with Bluetooth cable?
Best to use when amped?
Best to use with a phone as a source?
Best retail unboxing experience?
Best YouTube reviews?
Best tasting?
Best as fishing lures?

What one person thinks is "best" is not what others would think is "best". It depends on individual ears, anatomy, what genres you like, your budget, intended use, your source, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #33,248 of 63,898
The "best" how?

Best price?
Best basshead signature?
Best comfort/fit?
Best looks?
Best for neutral signature?
Best natural timbre?
Best midrange?
Best clarity?
Best price-to-value ratio?
Best for small ears?
Best soundstage?
Best instrument separation?

Careful, you might be expected to answer all of those questions:)

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #33,253 of 63,898
...also depends on if you use any condiments. but i guess that would be "modding".....

They go down easiest with BBQ sauce, sriracha, or gochujang sauce.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #33,255 of 63,898
"You can also take the KZ 8-braid silver upgrade cable, and trim the plastic off of the plug like many of us do. After doing that, the pins are even longer than the TRN (and have no problems fitting anything)! A little later, I'll post a comparison photo of all 3 side by side to show the differences."

Here is that photo as promised.

You can see the different pin lengths of the following:

1 Unmodified KZ cable (stock and KZ upgrade cables)
2. Modified KZ 8-wire braided upgrade cable (with plastic shoulder cut off)
3. TRN cable (black and silver)

Ignore the shoulder type (ie ZST vs ZS3); just look at the length of the actual pins.

You can use the longer pin lengths to fit IEMs that fit too loosely (with the stock cables) and on IEMs they were not designed for (like one that was intended for the thinner ZS3 shoulder). And no, it does not hurt the IEM in any way to use the longer pins. The KZ 2-pin female socket is incredibly deep, and can accommodate the long pins with ease.

In other words, the modified cable (#2) is the most "universal". The only downside is that once you trim off the plastic shoulder, you cannot tell the proper direction of the pins to ensure you are plugging them in properly (ie not out-of-phase). Therefore, what I do BEFORE trimming off the plastic, is mark the cables by scratching a mark on the aluminum shoulder where the "rounded" end would normally go using a sharp tool (like a sewing needle). If you have no idea what I'm referring to, check this link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1194#post-13516067
Thanks for the detailed reply. What's the easiest way to cut off the plastic tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back