Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 7, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #33,211 of 63,836
I continue to be surprised at how effortless and low these ES4 extend. Listening to Drum and Bass right now and, where I'd normally hear major differences in volume of the bassline, it's just smooth all the way down. Well done, KZ

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #33,212 of 63,836
now i am more excited to get my kz es4(got em on gearbest for 14$)
also i have my RNF replacement coming next week es4 may overshadow RNF lol

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #33,213 of 63,836
removed

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #33,214 of 63,836
Haha, awesome nostalgia/ adoration levels on the EDR1 here. :)

Yeah, but that adoration is totally justified. There is no KZ hype train needed with the EDR1 - it's the real deal.

I've said it a number of times before - if I had to get rid of all but 5 of my IEMs, the EDR1 would be in that list for sure. Good thing I'm all stocked up on them :)

A truly mind blowing cost-to-performance-to-fun ratio for all of the genres I enjoy. Sure, it's not totally perfect, but even $1k gear isn't.

If KZ would use the same driver in a new IEM (say a single BA hybrid in a shell like the ZS3), it has the possibly of being an end-game IEM. None of this 4, 5, and 6 BAs slapped haphazardly in a shell business needed.

Or who knows - maybe it was the combination of that particular 7mm driver in that particular shell with the specific tuning - and changing any 1 single component would upset the balance and lose all of the magic. Whatever it was though, they definitely caught lightning in a bottle (and for $4 no less).

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #33,215 of 63,836
I think I'm beginning to have KZ acquisition disorder.

hmies.gif

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #33,216 of 63,836
Yeah, but that adoration is totally justified. There is no KZ hype train needed with the EDR1 - it's the real deal.

I've said it a number of times before - if I had to get rid of all but 5 of my IEMs, the EDR1 would be in that list for sure. Good thing I'm all stocked up on them :)

A truly mind blowing cost-to-performance-to-fun ratio for all of the genres I enjoy. Sure, it's not totally perfect, but even $1k gear isn't.

If KZ would use the same driver in a new IEM (say a single BA hybrid in a shell like the ZS3), it has the possibly of being an end-game IEM. None of this 4, 5, and 6 BAs slapped haphazardly in a shell business needed.

Or who knows - maybe it was the combination of that particular 7mm driver in that particular shell with the specific tuning - and changing any 1 single component would upset the balance and lose all of the magic. Whatever it was though, they definitely caught lightning in a bottle (and for $4 no less).
I have the EDR2, although it's not the special edition. I'm impressed by it but I mainly use my ES3 for listening to music, and that would be my favorite from the KZ line. Should I upgrade my EDR2 to the EDR1 or the EDR2 Special Edition?

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #33,217 of 63,836
I have the EDR2, although it's not the special edition. I'm impressed by it but I mainly use my ES3 for listening to music, and that would be my favorite from the KZ line. Should I upgrade my EDR2 to the EDR1 or the EDR2 Special Edition?

The special edition is nothing ‘special’ whatsoever. The EDR1 is the superior one out of the 3.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #33,218 of 63,836
For those who want to mod the ZS3's shell or if you have a broken pair and want to a DIY adventure the good news is it's rather easy to open it. I didn't even need a heat gun or hair dryer just a utility knife and making a "zig-zag" movement until reach inside and keep that around the shell was enough to open it. Also, there's a lot of glue inside and remove it maybe gonna be a bit tricky, however, a needle nose plier helped me a lot.

My original idea was modding the ZS3 into a hybrid something like that. But as you can see there's no room:

RG82yvQ.jpg

So it's was rather removing the nozzle and heavily modding it or just creating a single full-range BA configuration like that:

ZUO70pe.jpg

The nozzle fits perfectly fine a 3mm tube and a Knowles damper, so moving ZS10's drivers into ZS3's shell like @CoiL's idea will require a lot of work lol. You can also create a Y-tube too but I'm too newbie for that and the room is really limited.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #33,220 of 63,836
A bit off topic, which foam eartips fit KZ products (ES4) to be exact). Looking in my online shop here in Thailand and everything is written in Chinese also. KZ has some , will they fit do you think? One is rounded and other is like a cone shape. Thanks

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #33,222 of 63,836
I already have KZ ZS5 v1, ZSE, ZS6, and ZSR (among other IEMs), but based on the positive feedback they're getting I'm really tempted to buy the ES4... But does it even make sense? Are they really any better/different from the KZs that I own?
Sooo, ES4 > ZS5 v1/ZS6/ZSR?

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #33,223 of 63,836
Sooo, ES4 > ZS5 v1/ZS6/ZSR?
No. It’s not necessarily better. It’s tuned different and has a fun factor. The ZSR sound more airy, the highs of the ZS5 have more clarity. The ES4’s main strength is it’s bass. It goes deep.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #33,225 of 63,836
UiiSii CM5 would fit the bill. And if you have a few bucks leftover to eat up the remainder of your credit, add a pair of EDR1.
Had a chance days ago to listen to the edr1, i still prefer the bass of my memt x5, more controlled and less bleed into the mid frequencies.
What i wanted was a balanced headphone with a great spectrum overall.
What i hate about my memt is the little soundstage.. then i wanted to try a multiple driver iem like the es4..
I really can't stand the driver flex anymore with my memt and silicon tips and wanted to try a headphones with separated drivers for the frequencies. Atm i just tried single driver headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back