Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 8, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #33,256 of 63,958
Thanks for the detailed reply. What's the easiest way to cut off the plastic tips?

I use an Xacto (hobby) knife. The plastic is really soft. You just cut it off even with the aluminum top as a guide. It all comes off in 1 chunk.

And the nice thing is that you can also use the point of the Xacto knife to scratch in the mark where the rounded part of the plug normally goes. I scratch the little mark in the aluminum, because a sharpie would just rub off. I put my marks in that top (smooth) section of each aluminum plug.

You can see a good shot of what you trim off here (it's all of the whitish plastic part at the end):

8 - Edited.jpg

And after you cut it off (apparently I did kind of a sloppy job when zoomed in this extreme):

KZ Pin Length Orig - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #33,258 of 63,958
I mean does the KZ ed16 beats the current KZ iems in soundstage vocals Instruments accuracy with some good bass.. KZ has too many iems.. Lol.. Cant even track anymore getting dizzy

Exactly. Just get one that you like the look of and enjoy your music. You are overthinking it and no one can definitively answer the type of questions that you ask.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #33,259 of 63,958
I use an Xacto (hobby) knife. The plastic is really soft. You just cut it off even with the aluminum top as a guide. It all comes off in 1 chunk.

And the nice thing is that you can also use the point of the Xacto knife to scratch in the mark where the rounded part of the plug normally goes. I scratch the little mark in the aluminum, because a sharpie would just rub off. I put my marks in that top (smooth) section of each aluminum plug.

You can see a good shot of what you trim off here (it's all of the whitish plastic part at the end):

And after you cut it off (apparently I did kind of a sloppy job when zoomed in this extreme):

A serrated edge steak knife is what I use. It's so soft only takes a few seconds.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #33,260 of 63,958
Therefore, the vent hole is the most reliable way to tell them apart.
Long time Lurker just dropping in to say that the 'EDSE' I picked up from fasttech has the vent in the same place as the EDR1. Safe to assume I got the latter?

The only thing that I've noticed differentiating the two, physically at least, is that the 'EDSE' has a duller gold nozzle than the other.

In any case, I'm not complaining if they're both the same, just would've preferred not to have paid 2$ more for them. :deadhorse:

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #33,261 of 63,958
Long time Lurker just dropping in to say that the 'EDSE' I picked up from fasttech has the vent in the same place as the EDR1. Safe to assume I got the latter?

The only thing that I've noticed differentiating the two, physically at least, is that the 'EDSE' has a duller gold nozzle than the other.

In any case, I'm not complaining if they're both the same, just would've preferred not to have paid 2$ more for them. :deadhorse:

Yeah, sounds like you really got an EDR1. It’s easy for sellers to mix them up. Besides looking basically the same, they used to come in identical black cardboard boxes.

FYI, some of them do come a little duller looking than others (and some are super shiny gold). I’ve also noticed that sometimes the gold dulls a bit after using the EDSE and EDR1 a while. I assume it’s sweat or humidity oxidizing the zinc underneath the gold plating. It doesn’t hurt anything though.

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #33,262 of 63,958
I borrowed my husbands KZ ES4 tonight to try to compare with the ED16. I only listened to a few songs with each which is not the way I normally listen to music. I really need to listen to a few albums in a row with one and then the other but will I ever have time? Anyway I thought they both sounded great and enjoyed both. I will leave it to others to give a more detailed comparison. I will lend my ED16 to my husband tomorrow to see if he wants to give it a try.

What I can do is offer a couple of photos showing how they compare in shape and size. Both are comfortable to me. The ED16 lies flatter in my ear. Here they are, ES4 on the left and ED16 on the right. Both are the black color option.

R0013418.JPG
R0013421.JPG

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #33,263 of 63,958
Yeah, sounds like you really got an EDR1. It’s easy for sellers to mix them up. Besides looking basically the same, they used to come in identical black cardboard boxes.

FYI, some of them do come a little duller looking than others (and some are super shiny gold). I’ve also noticed that sometimes the gold dulls a bit after using the EDSE and EDR1 a while. I assume it’s sweat or humidity oxidizing the zinc underneath the gold plating. It doesn’t hurt anything though.
Lesson learned.

Both of them arrived in identical black boxes with different SKUs, curiously. The EDR2 I got from them had the updated packaging though.

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #33,264 of 63,958
Lesson learned.

Both of them arrived in identical black boxes with different SKUs, curiously. The EDR2 I got from them had the updated packaging though.

Well, since you got the EDR1, you got the better sounding of the 2 anyways. So don't feel bad at all.

As far as the packaging, depending on the seller there's still some EDR1s floating around out there in the old black cardboard boxes. KZ is still actively producing the EDR1 (as well as the EDR2), as I've received a few of each in the new white packaging. Luckily, there is no difference in the sound of the 'new' production runs of the EDR1 - they sound identical to the old ones in the black cardboard box.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #33,265 of 63,958
those who received their es4 which did you all use after tip rolling?

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #33,267 of 63,958
Well, since you got the EDR1, you got the better sounding of the 2 anyways. So don't feel bad at all.

As far as the packaging, depending on the seller there's still some EDR1s floating around out there in the old black cardboard boxes. KZ is still actively producing the EDR1 (as well as the EDR2), as I've received a few of each in the new white packaging. Luckily, there is no difference in the sound of the 'new' production runs of the EDR1 - they sound identical to the old ones in the black cardboard box.
Not feeling bad at all! In fact I jumped on the EDR1 bandwagon after seeing all the drum beating you've been doing for them here and there.

Unfortunately for me, I either got sweat or water in my pair so every now and then, the audio inexplicably drops off, and when I look at the nozzle screen, it's damp. :triportsad:

KZ Global Store are doing five for $13.30/ $2.66 a piece, so I've gone for that. Nice to have a couple of them laying around incase my head starts leaking again!

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #33,268 of 63,958
Not feeling bad at all! In fact I jumped on the EDR1 bandwagon after seeing all the drum beating you've been doing for them here and there.

Unfortunately for me, I either got sweat or water in my pair so every now and then, the audio inexplicably drops off, and when I look at the nozzle screen, it's damp. :triportsad:

KZ Global Store are doing five for $13.30/ $2.66 a piece, so I've gone for that. Nice to have a couple of them laying around incase my head starts leaking again!

Really? Do you need a coupon for that price? I’ll go ahead and grab a couple of 5-packs for Xmas stocking stuffers. $2.66 woo-hoo!

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #33,270 of 63,958
Really? Do you need a coupon for that price? I’ll go ahead and grab a couple of 5-packs for Xmas stocking stuffers. $2.66 woo-hoo!
No coupon it's advertised as EDR1 but the model's description states ED Special, which we've agreed is not what we are after.

I sent a little message with my order that I'm only interested in EDR1, and to cancel the order if that's not what's for sale. Still awaiting a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back