Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #33,031 of 63,917
Collecting posts? N
Exactly!

Driver size and BA presence does not mean anything!

You seem to be "beginner" in IEMs ? Collecting posts? No insult intended :wink:
Collecting posts? Not at all. I'll try to explain.

I'm not comparing to thin air. I shared my firsr impressions on ED16 vs ZSR in previous pages (go and look for it), and even though I don't have ZSA or ES4, I support my opinion -technically and not just on "impressions" based on a spanish audiophile reviewer who has reviewed ED16 pretty scientifically and then compared it to ZSA and ES4 which he actually owns.

So before sharing my impressions solely on "what I think" , I made sure to listen to this guy's compared review.

1st part. Here's the ED16 virtual teardown analysis step by step, and the sound comparison to ZSA and ES4. (in spanish language)

2nd part

Hope I tried to convey it's not only I'm trying to collect posts, but to try to share some info on the new ED16 as one of the firsts who have it.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #33,032 of 63,917
... even though I don't have ZSA or ES4...

That`s the thing - You can`t judge something based on others impressions. And my answer was mainly posted towards claim like bigger&more(BA)=better.
I haven`t heard cheap chi-fi IEM (like KZ) which can beat IT01 (single DD) sound quality. Closest has been ZS5v1 with proper source and amping (which bests littlebit in soundstage size/width).

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #33,033 of 63,917
That`s the thing - You can`t judge something based on others impressions. And my answer was mainly posted towards claim like bigger&more(BA)=better.
I haven`t heard cheap chi-fi IEM (like KZ) which can beat IT01 (single DD) sound quality. Closest has been ZS5v1 with proper source and amping (which bests littlebit in soundstage size/width).
Ok, you're right CoiL, just wanted to help, but in the end you're right. I only own ZSR and ED16, so I'll keep saying it's definetely a nice upgrade from ZSR (new frequency separation unit, seems to have the same graphene coated DD as ES4 and bigger resonating chamber, and a more balanced and defined sound, as I wrote in previous pages a mini-review/first impressions.

P.S. thanks for the warm welcome hahaha :)

P.S.2: When someone knows more stuff than me, I tend to trust them, mainly because they have more to say and you can learn from them. Especially when their opinion is the same as mine.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #33,034 of 63,917
based on a spanish audiophile reviewer who has reviewed ED16 pretty scientifically

Sorry man but this review is nothing scientific.
This guy is just reading and looking at the images of the advertisement stuff he could find on Aliexpress.
I speak a perfect spanish so I understand every single word he says. Sorry but he is giving a general and just long told impression about ed16 based on images and a listening test based on a very old song with a Youtube sampling quality.
I believe you should make this kind of test with different gear if you then want to make a review for the community.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #33,035 of 63,917
Sorry man but this review is nothing scientific.
This guy is just reading and looking at the images of the advertisement stuff he could find on Aliexpress.
I speak a perfect spanish so I understand every single word he says. Sorry but he is giving a general and just long told impression about ed16 based on images and a listening test based on a very old song with a Youtube sampling quality.
I believe you should make this kind of test with different gear if you then want to make a review for the community.
Ok, I get your point but I wouldn't call it a "general impression" when he spends 30min talking. I agree with you about the listening test quality though. We'll then have to wait for more people to get their ED16's along with more serious and in-depth reviews :)

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying my new KZ so much.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #33,036 of 63,917
Ok, I get your point but I wouldn't call it a "general impression" when he spends 30min talking.
3min talk by proper audiophile (with proper gear, music selection, measurements etc.) can tell 100x more than 30min with "just a Youtube reviewer" :wink:
Just "be careful" with what You claim here, there are lot of very experienced audiophiles here. Tune-in and have fun! PS - sorry about Your wallet! :wink:

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #33,037 of 63,917
when kz said the es4 is "professional level" i think they mean it, i've been switching back and forth between the es4 & zs6
and the es4 sounds better for me,
punchier bass than the zs6 but not overwhelming like the rock zircon
zs6-like highs with little to no piercing, the zs6 is just slightly brighter
the slight trade offs are:
a narrower soundstage (very noticeable from the zs6) ,s̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶a̶i̶l̶ (it actually has the same/more detail than zs6) & less airy than the zs6
my problems are:
the memory wire, in the zs6 its good, in the es4 its awful (loose & wobbly, could be an unlucky batch)
and the fit, the zs6 fits easily, the es4 is difficult for me
oh and both uses foam eartips, since i don't like kz stock tips
i feel cheated buying the zs6 :v

scsIg3G.jpg

the es4 is definitely the best earphone i've ever heard, a perfect balance between bass & highs

*also,this is my first post :p

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #33,038 of 63,917
when kz said the es4 is "professional level" i think they mean it, i've been switching back and forth between the es4 & zs6
and the es4 sounds better for me,
the slight trade offs are:
a narrower soundstage (very noticeable from the zs6) ,slightly less detail & less airy than the zs6
my problems are:
the memory wire, in the zs6 its good, in the es4 its awful (loose & wobbly, could be an unlucky batch)
and the fit, the zs6 fits easily, the es4 is difficult for me
oh and both uses foam eartips, since i don't like kz stock tips
i feel cheated buying the zs6 :v

scsIg3G.jpg

the es4 is definitely the best earphone i've ever heard, a perfect balance between bass & highs

*also,this is my first post :p

Welcome friend!

A lot of us run without the memory wires at all.

It is very easy to remove. You just pick at the bottom of the metal wire using your fingernail, and once the metal wire is exposed, you 'peel' it back like a banana peel (or a string cheese snack).

Peel Memory Wire.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #33,039 of 63,917

I am Very happy to hear this. I love ZS6 but, apart of the sibilances, I find that the Bass is often "not enough" even if still present, rumbling and detailed.
Less pierce in the highs is just a nice plus considering I almost solved the problem with some eq and getting used to it..

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #33,040 of 63,917
So I am the only one having really big QC control regarding KZ ZS6? I have already searched the thread to see if someone has encountered something like this but I haven't had much luck. The left IEM's female connector is incredible loose and the right one is slightly wiggly. They have been like this since day one and (I know, stupid me) didn't reach KZ or Gearbest regarding this issue since they were a xmas gift. http://www.mediafire.com/file/9uip1217cqqf4ea/kz.mp4/file

I have already contacted Kz in their Facebook page and the Aliexpress official store, let's see wha they have to say about this.

Also, hello, it's been literally years since I post in this lovely community.
I had same issue with my ZS6's. A few drops of the 2-compound epoxy solved the issue completly. Just unscrew 2 torx screws (or all 3 if you want) of the problematic side (recommend to do it on both sides) and put a few drops of epoxy where the pin is situated inside the shell (not too much or you leave big mess inside). Assamble it again and leave to harden 12hours (24h best).

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #33,041 of 63,917
So I am the only one having really big QC control regarding KZ ZS6? I have already searched the thread to see if someone has encountered something like this but I haven't had much luck. The left IEM's female connector is incredible loose and the right one is slightly wiggly. They have been like this since day one and (I know, stupid me) didn't reach KZ or Gearbest regarding this issue since they were a xmas gift. http://www.mediafire.com/file/9uip1217cqqf4ea/kz.mp4/file

I have already contacted Kz in their Facebook page and the Aliexpress official store, let's see wha they have to say about this.

Also, hello, it's been literally years since I post in this lovely community.
just sharing my unlucky experience with kz too,
my zs6 left side connector went wiggly and the right side died a week after i received them , i opened the dead side, resolder the connection and it worked again
to add salt to the wound my later kz purchase, the zse (which is supposed to be my backup iem) has a defective right side (dangling driver) making them sound off
so yea, QC isnt KZ's strongest point

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #33,042 of 63,917
The ES4 is a really fantastic earphone, from what I'm hearing so far. Like, really really good. And I didn't really like much about the ZSR, and found treble overbearing on the ZS6. I do love the ZS5 (v1) and ZS3 however. I'm really impressed and it makes me want to give the ZSA and ZS10 a shot for sure.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #33,043 of 63,917
I had same issue with my ZS6's. A few drops of the 2-compound epoxy solved the issue completly. Just unscrew 2 torx screws (or all 3 if you want) of the problematic side (recommend to do it on both sides) and put a few drops of epoxy where the pin is situated inside the shell (not too much or you leave big mess inside). Assamble it again and leave to harden 12hours (24h best).

You mean you just glued the connector? Do you happend to have a picture of what it looks like after you applied the glue? I was tempted to do this, but having a deattachable cable is a huge plus for me.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #33,044 of 63,917
Here’s your options:

1. Use a 0.78mm cable.

2. play the legs of the male 2-pin cable a few degrees. Not much, but just enough so the plug stays in the socket.

3. Get the 8-braid silver upgrade cable, and trim the excess plastic from the make ends. This exposes much more of the male pins, which will make them long enough to reach deeper into the female socket for a more secure fit.

4. Use a needle to close the female pins in the 2-pin socket slightly. The female pins are split to allow flex, and you can use this flex to your advantage and make the pins smaller.

5: Obviously you can glue the plug in place using plastic bonding epoxy, but there’s no need to resort to that extreme, if you can just do steps 1-4 instead.

Let me know if you’re confused about any of those options, and I can clarify, add photos, etc.

I think I'm going to try #2 first and then #4. Do you happend to have any picture of what both the connector and the pins look like after the mod? Thank you, buddy.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #33,045 of 63,917
The ES4 is a really fantastic earphone, from what I'm hearing so far. Like, really really good. And I didn't really like much about the ZSR, and found treble overbearing on the ZS6. I do love the ZS5 (v1) and ZS3 however. I'm really impressed and it makes me want to give the ZSA and ZS10 a shot for sure.
How do you compare them with the ZS5 v1? I've the v1 currently and the ES4 should be here within a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back