Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #33,003 of 63,797
(My english skills are a bit rusty, sorry for that in advance)

Hey, there. I'm new here and i just received my first IEM. KZ ES4.
Maybe my espectations were a bit higher, or maybe i'm evalutating them wrong.
I had already a 10 years old pair of earbuds (1 neodymium driver 9mm each) , and i'm using them as a comparasion.
The amount of bass frequency is the same
Mids are somewhat lacking, and there are to much highs for my taste.
Now, my old earbuds were a 80$ pair, and the KZ ES4 only costs 15$.
Thinking like that, in that case they exceed a lot my expectations, but if i think as they have the same performance as a 10y old pair of earbuds, eh.

However, they are beautiful and confortable, and the detachable cable is amazing (i got the extra white cable as a early pre-order)

I'm looking for some criticism of my way of thinking.

Edit: I'm using the ALC1220 as amplifier, also, seems that they are getting better over-time.

Posting some photos:

[click to enlarge]

Welcome to our world.........

.....and sorry about your wallet.

By the way, great photos.

If the highs are too much for you right now you might be better suited trying out the ATE or ATR and progress from there.

10091937.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-atr-in-ear-monitor.23032/reviews

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #33,004 of 63,797
(My english skills are a bit rusty, sorry for that in advance)

Hey, there. I'm new here and i just received my first IEM. KZ ES4.
Maybe my espectations were a bit higher, or maybe i'm evalutating them wrong.
I had already a 10 years old pair of earbuds (1 neodymium driver 9mm each) , and i'm using them as a comparasion.
The amount of bass frequency is the same
Mids are somewhat lacking, and there are to much highs for my taste.
Now, my old earbuds were a 80$ pair, and the KZ ES4 only costs 15$.
Thinking like that, in that case they exceed a lot my expectations, but if i think as they have the same performance as a 10y old pair of earbuds, eh.

However, they are beautiful and confortable, and the detachable cable is amazing (i got the extra white cable as a early pre-order)

I'm looking for some criticism of my way of thinking.

Edit: I'm using the ALC1220 as amplifier, also, seems that they are getting better over-time.

Posting some photos:

[click to enlarge]

Well hello fellow ES4 user! I've found that the treble tames off a bit when you use either foam tips or SpinFits. Also, I saw a pretty good drop in sibilance once I let them cook in overnight. Once I added in the SpinFits, I ended up with something that was much more neutral, but still willing to give you as much bass as the song required. Also keep in mind that silver (or silver-tinned copper) cables are accused of boosting higher frequencies. If you're finding them too bright, it might be worth your time to step back to the stock cable and see if your impressions change.

I'll also add in for the group that I've been all smiles with the TRN Bluetooth cable between yesterday and today. I can confirm that it'll play at least 24/44.1 and battery life seems more than reasonable. I haven't worn mine out yet, but based on trend, I do believe in the 8-hour advertised spec.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #33,005 of 63,797
Well hello fellow ES4 user! I've found that the treble tames off a bit when you use either foam tips or SpinFits. Also, I saw a pretty good drop in sibilance once I let them cook in overnight. Once I added in the SpinFits, I ended up with something that was much more neutral, but still willing to give you as much bass as the song required. Also keep in mind that silver (or silver-tinned copper) cables are accused of boosting higher frequencies. If you're finding them too bright, it might be worth your time to step back to the stock cable and see if your impressions change.

I'll also add in the for the group that I've been all smiles with the TRN Bluetooth cable between yesterday and today. I can confirm that it'll play at least 24/44.1 and battery life seems more than reasonable. I haven't worn mine out yet, but based on trend, I do believe in the 8-hour advertised spec.

Looking to buy some tips then, thanks for the advice :D.
I dont need any bluetooth cable right now, they are plugged at my pc as main daily driver.

Welcome to our world.........

.....and sorry about your wallet.

By the way, great photos.

If the highs are too much for you right now you might be better suited trying out the ATE or ATR and progress from there.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-atr-in-ear-monitor.23032/reviews

I'm gettin used of them anyway.
Also, after setted a custom equalizer now they are more warm and deep.
I definitely like them, right now.

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #33,007 of 63,797
E14A1DEC-4255-459A-8D8E-E3C2F4D39268.jpeg 34ACEE39-A05C-4563-84F8-842D50761386.jpeg
Made these pictures. Thinking of a KZ marketing career now.

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #33,008 of 63,797
Got my ES4, good for $20 but nothing groundbreaking. OK bass, mids more forward than usual KZ with some rough sections in the 4K range, sparkly highs but missing details and some frequencies. Without EQ they have a good amount of everything and are pleasant to listen, but they get quite congested on busy tracks. An equalized ZS6 is better in every way, larger sondstage, better details and separation and nicer sound overall.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #33,009 of 63,797
Got my ES4, good for $20 but nothing groundbreaking. OK bass, mids more forward than usual KZ with some rough sections in the 4K range, sparkly highs but missing details and some frequencies. Without EQ they have a good amount of everything and are pleasant to listen, but they get quite congested on busy tracks. An equalized ZS6 is better in every way, larger sondstage, better details and separation and nicer sound overall.
I’m in the middle of a big KZ comparison in which I will add the ZSA too, but those are my first test notes too. Everyone buying a random KZ IEM will not regret it. It’s just it can get even better.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #33,011 of 63,797
My KZ ZS10 right side just died (not even 30 hours of use :triportsad:) anyone had a similar experience, I dunno if I got a badly QCed one.

You aren't one of the people that burns headphones in at 100% MAX volume levels are you (ie ear bleed level)?

Did you contact the seller yet?

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #33,015 of 63,797
Surely no one does that do they?

Yes, believe it or not there are.

Even if I wanted I can't do that thanks to my migraines. I would have episodes of migraines for a week for more incase I pushed myself to listen max volume. :ksc75smile:

No, I mean 'burning them in' as in not listening with your ears but rather taking a brand new pair of headphones out of the box, attaching a source, playing a varied selection of music (or alternatively white/pink noise) on a continuous loop, and sticking them in a drawer or wrapping them inside of a blanket for 30-200 hours. The music/noise 'exercises the drivers' (ie 'burn-in').

However, it should always be done at a normal listening level (ie 40%-50% or whatever). But there are some people that think that 'more is better', so they burn-in at 100% volume (ie inhuman levels). And that is a great way to fry BAs and blow dynamic drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back