Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 15, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #32,341 of 63,907
With the pairing, I can now hear each armature and dynamic driver working separately

This perfectly describes what I hear when pairing the ZS6 to my Fiio X3 (first generation) and it's why I think the ZS6 is such a great IEM. Everything is neatly separated so you can hear the detail from each of the drivers.

I'm still holding out hope that KZ will offer us a ZS6 SE (Special Edition ) in "Midnight Blue with brass accents" and "Arctic White with brass accents" now that they have graphene DD's and customized and/or improved BA's.

I think the ZS6 is an IEM that is good enough to be a KZ mainstay the way the ED9 and ATE are so incremental improvements where possible should prove fruitful.

Again, further refinement is always welcome.

10059652.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #32,342 of 63,907
I don’t think 3 seconds would destroy both BAs in both sides. But with that said, the BAs in the ZSR are responsible for mids and treble. So if the mids and treble all of the sudden sound veiled, then there may be something up.

You would be able to tell via FR measurement. That’s the most scientific and surefire way to do it, as your ears are not a reliable enough method to detect if 1 or more BAs are damaged. You can get a Dayton Audio iMM-6 microphone for $20, use $0.10 of vinyl tubing as a coupler, and REW or ARTA on a PC or FFT Plot on iOS to measure (REW/ARTA are free; FFT Plot is $5). It’s not a high end compensated or IEC-compliant setup, but it will work perfectly fine for this purpose.

You could also tell by comparing it to another stock pair. This is 1 (of many) reasons why I usually try to buy good KZs in 2s. So I have a backup pair to compare with if 1 is damaged, or to A/B compare when modding, etc. The ZSR is one of KZs best models, so it would be ideal to buy a 2nd of. You could use it to compare the sound with, as well as having it as a backup.

You could also remove the nozzle screen and totally seal each BA 1 at a time with a small piece of blue tac and listen for any difference. If you hear absolutely no difference between a sealed and unsealed BA, then that BA is likely not working.
Thanks as always, @Slater. Yeah, I very much agree that the ZSR is one of their best releases yet, that's why I'm worried that I might broke them. Tried the Blu Tack method. Sealed one BA, then another BA, and finally both two BAs. I can't hear any treble when the BAs were sealed with Blu Tack; all I hear was gradual loss of details as I seal more BAs. So, the BAs of my ZSR are still working fine? I guess I'm just being paranoid after I blasted my ZSRs, haha. I'll try to buy another pair of ZSR to hear if my current pair is working as it should.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #32,343 of 63,907
Thanks as always, @Slater. Yeah, I very much agree that the ZSR is one of their best releases yet, that's why I'm worried that I might broke them. Tried the Blu Tack method. Sealed one BA, then another BA, and finally both two BAs. I can't hear any treble when the BAs were sealed with Blu Tack; all I hear was gradual loss of details as I seal more BAs. So, the BAs of my ZSR are still working fine? I guess I'm just being paranoid after I blasted my ZSRs, haha. I'll try to buy another pair of ZSR to hear if my current pair is working as it should.

Sure friend, glad to help.

If you're hearing gradual loss of detail as you seal more and more BAs, and then finally no treble when all BAs were sealed, then it sounds like they are working fine.

I wouldn't sweat it.

May 15, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #32,346 of 63,907
They are indeed new connectors. Note how flush they are with the ZSA. The original ZST/ES3 connector had a slightly raised twin grip-strip:

.......but these are free of the grips.

By the way, check out that price!

Picked up the zsa for $20 after coupon. Kz says only red/black in stock at the moment and grey will arrive 5 days from now. Also comes with upgraded silver cable for the next 7 days..

May 15, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #32,347 of 63,907
New iem day here, ZSR just arrived, first impressions: Definitely more warm than ZST, overall i feel the music closer to the front, really feels like they're singing at my ear.

Altough the ZST's high are more piercing, i feel like this has more detail, i hear the hi hat in way more detail, only downside is that i feel less punch, but then again, this is the first and very early impressions.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #32,349 of 63,907
Guys. I have ZST, ZS6, ZS5.

On the way is the ES4.

But the ZSA is $21 and the ZSR is $22. Should I get both? I love KZ and ughhhh will I regret not getting them now?

You have permission to get both:)

May 15, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #32,350 of 63,907
If they improved on the es3 with the es4 I'll be very excited. Mine should be in soon. I went with the blue. I like my ZS10 but the es3 has still been one of my favorites.

I'll try the 16 driver and be done for a while. I believe my guitarist wants me to get him the 16 when it debuts as well Should be interesting!

May 15, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #32,352 of 63,907
You are so dead on, was not much of the ED fan (unless it's the 9'er) but the 3c's I love:wink:

These diminutive little things are pretty sweet as well:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

haven't heard the ed4, but the ed3c is a worthy, overlooked piece. compared to the ed9, which it resembles sonically, mids are a little recessed but it has that really impressive instrument placement and imaging. the current zs iterations (zsr, zs5, etc.) may be more energetic and engaging, but the ed series definitely have a more "natural" accurate tuning.

May 15, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #32,353 of 63,907
The ES4 has a 10mm graphene DD while the ZSA has an 8mm DD which may or may not be graphene.

An 8mm DD may indicate that the ZSA could have a very balanced signature if it is tuned like the ZST's 8mm DD though the ES4 is the one advertised as having a "reference" sound signature. In order for the ES4 to have a "reference" sound signature the crossover must have been put to good use because the 10mm DD is quite full-bodied in it's natural state (ZSR & ES3) but, apparently, KZ wants to get the point across that the ES4 is not an entry-level in-ear monitor; it is professional grade.

The ES4 appears to have a customized 30095 treble BA while the ZSA has an "improved" BA (not necessarily the same BA advertised on the ES4).

This will be the first time hearing the "improved" BA so it's useless speculating at this point. That said, the ZSA's triple-vented faceplates may afford them a bit of air and an improved sense of space between instruments.

My expectation is that the ES4 with it's 10mm graphene DD and a proper crossover is a direct upgrade to the already good ES3.

....and as always, further refinement (of the ES3) is always welcome.

Haven't heard either so remember.......It's all conjecture.

Also, I think it's great that the cable offered with the ES4 is different from the cable offered with the ZSA. I have a handful of identical KZ cables from the ZST and ES3 so more variety is a good thing.

Have to wait and see but I'm all ears.

Grips, "We don't need no stinking grips":hushed: I like the little window exposing the cable going into the connector as well but I'm excited to hear the customized 30095 BA and why my AliEx order has been triggered:rolling_eyes: Ordered a few more of that bronze color SP cable while I was at it:wink: Should look good with the red/black pair and if you ever talk KZ into those two color choices of ZS6's you want you better tell me or else, or else I'm going to :cry: like a 224 Lb baby:grin:

@loomisjohnson , I've come to grips (different than the ones above) that you and I will never agree on the ED9's but it's OK cause you got pretty good taste 99.9% of the time:astonished: LOL jkjk

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #32,354 of 63,907
Hello guys !
My two pairs of UiiSii HM7 along my three pairs of Xiaomi Pistons Youth Edition all broke. I dont have any IEMs left bar my KZ Z5v1 which I love but is far too uncomfortable for my taste.

The Pistons were very fragile compared to my HM7 who both lasted one year each.

What I'm looking for first is a pair of cheap IEMs with decent sound for gaming (yes I could buy headphones for that but it's summer and IEMs are more versatile). Possibly with a detachable cable so I dont have to replace the whole unit in case of premature death (unless the IEM is really cheap and I could just buy a new pair even if I have to wait a week or two to receive them). I can go up to 10 euros to 15, but since it's mainly for gaming no need to go all out.

What I'm looking for in second is an alternative to said KZ Z5v1, I'm loving the audio but they're far too uncomfortable to use, so I'd like to find an alternative with a detachable cable and regular size IEM head. For this one I can go up to around 40 euros.

Thanks for reading !

May 15, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #32,355 of 63,907
Zs10 notes are posted - here

pictures to follow tonight as I finish them up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back