1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Podster
    I kind of figured these would appeal to you Coil:wink: I was figuring you'd come up with some real nice dark Ebony back plate on that red shell:yum:

Oh come on @Slater , we know your just JACKING with us:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    djmakemynight and Slater like this.
  2. TheVortex
    I have just bought a new IEM and can someone post the link on how to check if an IEM is out phase?

I can't post the model here.

Thanks in advance.

3. Slater

Or there is a phase test on audiocheck.net

TheVortex likes this.
  4. TheVortex

Thanks Slater.

Slater likes this.
  5. Holypal
    Two drivers for more than $30? That's not KZ!

6. Slater
    I don’t think 3 seconds would destroy both BAs in both sides. But with that said, the BAs in the ZSR are responsible for mids and treble. So if the mids and treble all of the sudden sound veiled, then there may be something up.

You would be able to tell via FR measurement. That’s the most scientific and surefire way to do it, as your ears are not a reliable enough method to detect if 1 or more BAs are damaged. You can get a Dayton Audio iMM-6 microphone for $20, use $0.10 of vinyl tubing as a coupler, and REW or ARTA on a PC or FFT Plot on iOS to measure (REW/ARTA are free; FFT Plot is $5). It’s not a high end compensated or IEC-compliant setup, but it will work perfectly fine for this purpose.

You could also tell by comparing it to another stock pair. This is 1 (of many) reasons why I usually try to buy good KZs in 2s. So I have a backup pair to compare with if 1 is damaged, or to A/B compare when modding, etc. The ZSR is one of KZs best models, so it would be ideal to buy a 2nd of. You could use it to compare the sound with, as well as having it as a backup.

You could also remove the nozzle screen and totally seal each BA 1 at a time with a small piece of blue tac and listen for any difference. If you hear absolutely no difference between a sealed and unsealed BA, then that BA is likely not working.

mono-type, DocHoliday and Adide like this.
  7. Zerohour88
    ZS10 popped up at $60 for pre-orders, so I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing of these ZSA is jacked up for pre-orders. Not even up on taobao yet

8. Deveraux
    My S7 Edge has some problem with my ZS5 v1. There's some rattling noise when I play bass intensive tracks. Not present in any other phones.

Suggest some good cheeeapp dac for ZS5 v1?

9. Makahl
    That's not a plastic KZ*

The last time I checked to use a CNC machine for a project for a custom shell that was expensive as hell (easily $40+) also printing a simple layout using plastic ABS was about ~$8. If you consider that's the full price (which always drop) with a BA + DD + metal shell I'd say it's pretty reasonable.

But to be fair, I've been skipping all KZ recently the only ones I'm looking forward are the ES4 and ZS4.

10. toddy0191
    Just wanted to re-state that I didn't intend to offend you @Otto Motor , and was referring to your quirkiness, of which I am a big fan!

E.g. comparing iems to foods.

It was 100% meant as a compliment.

I've bought a few earphones based on your recommendations and they have always been as described.

groucho69, Strat Rider and Otto Motor like this.
  11. MariusAB
    Thanks for explanation, it's my second acquaintance with KZ so don't know what to expect. It good to hear "it's normal" :) Well, should add perhaps that normal in chi fi and in this price segment. Of course the manufacturing of such delicate things as earphones isn't very easy. I sometimes wonder how they manage to maintain such prices when there is big need for specific precision in making such products (and good ones), and still KZ makes it cheaper than few bottles of vine. How these china guys doing it. Anyway happy to see my zsr tightly connected and there is no possibility to fell of as you mentioned.

Slater and Bartig like this.
  12. DocHoliday
    Feel like a kid in a candy store!

HTB1Nu4gruGSBuNjSspbq6AiipXaA.jpg_640x640q90.jpg HTB1LhjIi2iSBuNkSnhJq6zDcpXar.jpg_640x640q90.jpg HTB16hH8i2uSBuNkHFqDq6xfhVXa4.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Loving the move back to metal housing (ED15, ZS6 & ZSA) and the detail work looks good on all three.

WatchfulOfficialJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

13. Otto Motor
    B9Scrambler and DocHoliday like this.
  14. Otto Motor
    I'd say they look great...a very pragmatic design (Bauhaus meets Tonka)...but a similarity to the ZS6/Campfire Andromeda still exists. I'll wait and see what you will have to report on the sound. If....it is the greatest sounding earphone ever, nobody will buy KZ's more expensive iems.

trellus likes this.
  15. B9Scrambler
    Two models they should never have discontinued. Needed more unique names though given they're more or less polar opposites in terms of sound, lol.

DocHoliday and Otto Motor like this.