Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 14, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #32,326 of 63,940
And here is everybody's favourite....just kidding (partially). Again, check B9's blog or here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-ed4.21296/reviews

As to whether to discontinue these oldies or not. At one point it may become impossible for Knowledge Zenith to produce so many models simultaneously...and it may be impossible for the buyer to select the right one.

The ED3 and ED4 are good earphones. Don't know how much they cost initially but I paid $10 or less in their later days. And I am a big fan of piston-shaped earphones for easy insertion and removal (when at home).

Get the ED4 while you still can:
https://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_293588.html?wid=1654075
KZ ED4.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #32,327 of 63,940
Two models they should never have discontinued. Needed more unique names though given they're more or less polar opposites in terms of sound, lol.

You are so dead on, was not much of the ED fan (unless it's the 9'er) but the 3c's I love:wink:

LTwoKZ.JPG

These diminutive little things are pretty sweet as well:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sleepers.JPG

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #32,330 of 63,940
These striped cables are very good. See also ZSR!

You are correct Otto, many in the beginning really complained of their rubberyness (new word from the Pod Wagonals:hushed:) and Springy nature but they sound very good (probably why KZ bought those 360 Million foot rolls of the stuff) seems like all their iem's had them for 4/5 years running until they went to the same outer sheath but solid but the same material. ZN1 Mini from the yoke back is literally a Garden Hose and pretty much indestructible:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Garden Hoser.JPG

Heck, speaking of the striped cables even VJJB caught on and these babies are still my favorite woodies:yum:

Super Budgi-Fied.JPG

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #32,331 of 63,940
Hi Podster,
Thanks for introducing yourself. Always good to know who we are talking to. My stereo system is not quite as old, it is from 1985. :)

P.S. Out of scientific interest: is your Middle Earth location humid or did the cable green through body contact. My location is semi-arid, no greening in the last half year. Wonder whether this will hold up. My speaker cables haven't greened in 33 years.
Your stereo system is older then me and my hair is already turning grey due to work and stress. Life is short, enjoy while you can.

May 14, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #32,332 of 63,940

Hmmm...considering the statement is not quite correct and also out of context...We learn: nothing in life is black and white.

Oops, you are right. I meant to quote your original reply to @Dickymint , but quoted that one instead. Sorry.

May 14, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #32,333 of 63,940
Feel like a kid in a candy store!

Loving the move back to metal housing (ED15, ZS6 & ZSA) and the detail work looks good on all three.

Is it just me, or is that a new cable too (at the 2-pin end)? It looks like a 45-degree plug; in between the existing straight ZS3 style and the 90-degree ZST style.

May 14, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #32,334 of 63,940
Is it just me, or is that a new cable too (at the 2-pin end)? It looks like a 45-degree plug; in between the existing straight ZS3 style and the 90-degree ZST style.

They are indeed new connectors. Note how flush they are with the ZSA. The original ZST/ES3 connector had a slightly raised twin grip-strip:

51N-ihNgSEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

.......but these are free of the grips.

Screenshot_2018-05-14-18-16-12.png

By the way, check out that price!

May 14, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #32,336 of 63,940
They are indeed new connectors. Note how flush they are with the ZSA. The original ZST/ES3 connector had a slightly raised twin grip-strip:

.......but these are free of the grips.

By the way, check out that price!

I thought they looked different. I was just unable to go get my cables and verify.

Good price too!

Although like the ZS10, I'm going to wait for a number of them to roll in to see what the impressions are.

I have very high hopes though - aluminum housing, the red ATE dynamic driver, and a 'new and improved' BA driver? Sounds promising!!

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #32,337 of 63,940
Does someone know if the ZS3 are now using 0.75mm instead of 0.78mm? My friend is selling one glossy ZS3 for a good price (black box) without cable and I got only 0.75mm cables. (unfortunately I can't test since we're from different states).

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #32,338 of 63,940
Does someone know if the ZS3 are now using 0.75mm instead of 0.78mm? My friend is selling one glossy ZS3 for a good price (black box) without cable and I got only 0.75mm cables. (unfortunately I can't test since we're from different states).

Yeah, they've been 0.75mm for a long time now (including your buddy's glossy pair).

0.78mm were very rare - just the very original batch, which are looong gone.

May 15, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #32,339 of 63,940
I wonder what the interior difference between the ZSA and the ES4 is. Both have one DD and one BA. Price difference is $2. $2 more for the ZSA's metal housing?

The ES4 has a 10mm graphene DD while the ZSA has an 8mm DD which may or may not be graphene.
HTB1PzIBoQyWBuNjy0Fpq6yssXXaX.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

HTB1TQoNrXGWBuNjy0Fbq6z4sXXa0.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

An 8mm DD may indicate that the ZSA could have a very balanced signature if it is tuned like the ZST's 8mm DD though the ES4 is the one advertised as having a "reference" sound signature. In order for the ES4 to have a "reference" sound signature the crossover must have been put to good use because the 10mm DD is quite full-bodied in it's natural state (ZSR & ES3) but, apparently, KZ wants to get the point across that the ES4 is not an entry-level in-ear monitor; it is professional grade.

HTB1xawjoFuWBuNjSszbq6AS7FXac.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

HTB1cKSJeAZmBKNjSZPiq6xFNVXa0.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

The ES4 appears to have a customized 30095 treble BA while the ZSA has an "improved" BA (not necessarily the same BA advertised on the ES4).

HTB1VlUqeBsmBKNjSZFsq6yXSVXaB.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

This will be the first time hearing the "improved" BA so it's useless speculating at this point. That said, the ZSA's triple-vented faceplates may afford them a bit of air and an improved sense of space between instruments.

My expectation is that the ES4 with it's 10mm graphene DD and a proper crossover is a direct upgrade to the already good ES3.

HTB1EWKEoKSSBuNjy0Flq6zBpVXag.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

....and as always, further refinement (of the ES3) is always welcome.

Haven't heard either so remember.......It's all conjecture.

Also, I think it's great that the cable offered with the ES4 is different from the cable offered with the ZSA. I have a handful of identical KZ cables from the ZST and ES3 so more variety is a good thing.

Have to wait and see but I'm all ears.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #32,340 of 63,940
Have any of you guys tried the iFi IEMatch adapter with any of your KZs? When I first heard my KZ ZS6, I thought, “Eh, it’s pretty good.” After 96 straight hours of regular album playing at 50% volume, I thought, “Okay, now it’s very good.” After an extra 50 hours of regular album playing at 75% volume, I thought, “Wow, these are great!” Now after pairing the ZS6 with the IEMatch, I think “Damn, these are bad-ass!”

With the pairing, I can now hear each armature and dynamic driver working more separately and clearly (I have used DN-2000J, ASG-1.5, Noble Savant Wizard, and SE846 I owned at some point as comparison) and now the ZS6 went from competing up to $250 IEMs to competing up to $500 IEMs, keeping the sound value at 5x! If anything, the pairing now sounds like surround monitors with the multiple active and passive driving, which is something I never had in an IEM! I am quite a happy camper with both purchases now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back