Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 3, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #31,846 of 63,914
For inexpensive with just a slight V instead of the more typical deep V under $50 IEMs I recommend either the TRN V20 or Yersen FEN-2000 both of which are under $30. The TIN Audio T2 is around $50 with cable under $40 without in case you have a spare MMCX cable to use.

In case people are willing to wait for the Ailexpress sales that happen a few times a year, I paid $27 for my T2 during the anniversary sale.

They are also around that price during 11.11, and other times (black friday/cyber monday, and I think 1 other time maybe around July for some other holiday/sale).

May 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #31,847 of 63,914
I would totally be down for ceramic housing!

Be aware that it is very expensive to make the molds for ceramic bodies, and production itself requires special (costly) facilities. You have to commit to a very large production run to recoup the costs (or else charge more per piece). That's why we see very few ceramic housings.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm willing to bet that "ROCK" farmed out the fabrication for the Rock Zircon. If KZ wants to make it happen the resources are available.......at a price. When one considers that the Rock Zircon was in the sub-$20 price bracket "before" they sold thousands of Zircons I'd say it's well within the realm of possibility to offer a premium variation of the IEM proposed.

KZ can farm out the fabrication and do periodic quality control checks.

......oops......there's the rub.....QC!

images-46.jpg

Vlga3.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #31,848 of 63,914
Both of the wines posted are in The Wine Spectators Too 100 and they are $30 or less per bottle.

Of course, depending on the lunch menu, this is equally satisfying.

My former family brewery (1899 - 1968)....with classic Canadian comment.

SORRY.jpg

May 3, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #31,849 of 63,914
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm willing to bet that "ROCK" farmed out the fabrication for the Rock Zircon. If KZ wants to make it happen the resources are available.......at a price. When one considers that the Rock Zircon was in the sub-$20 price bracket "before" they sold thousands of Zircons I'd say it's well within the realm of possibility to offer a premium variation of the IEM proposed.

KZ can farm out the fabrication and do periodic quality control checks.

......oops......there's the rub.....QC!

You're right - if Rock could pull it off and make it profitable, KZ certainly could. I would also love to see another copper-bodied IEM. The ED9 was very successful; an updated version doesn't even have to have changeable filters

KZ, are you reading this?? Could you consider a ceramic or copper housing please?

P.S. - Hilarious movie BTW. Not everyone appreciates its satire. Funny fact, production was so incredibly difficult due to the marionettes, Matt and Trey vowed never to make another movie as long as they lived. Every time I see the Gary (with his hack-job transformation) flailing his arms trying to give the signal in the back of the jeep as they shoot at him, I spit beer out of my nose LOL

teamamerica.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #31,850 of 63,914
I did receive my red no mic ZS10's, and I am still trying to find my thoughts on sound for them because they are tuned so differently than my recently acquired IEMS. I wish the nozzle was a little longer, I think someone else said they don't stay put in the ear very well, and I am finding the same thing even with tips that normally work for me. The highs are definitely non-fatiguing even at high volumes, but the midbass might be a bit much for some. I think it gives the midrange a fuller sound, I think others might describe this as the mid-bass bleeding into the midrange? I will say with the extra drivers, they handle the volume with ease. That's all I have for now.

I took my ZS10 out last night for a spin - in order to validate my head fi review of it. And yes, I wouldn't change anything. In short, after a while of listening I was totally dissatisfied by the overall impression. Sure, the resolution, layering, and imaging are very good, and the image is big, but the lack of coherence is appalling to my ears. Bass and mids are constantly fighting each other....and the bass always wins.

I then used my ZSR. Again, technically not as advanced as the ZS10 but simply ear candy in comparison. Sorry, can't help it.

May 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #31,851 of 63,914
I took my ZS10 out last night for a spin - in order to validate my head fi review of it. And yes, I wouldn't change anything. In short, after a while of listening I was totally dissatisfied by the overall impression. Sure, the resolution, layering, and imaging are very good, and the image is big, but the lack of coherence is appalling to my ears. Bass and mids are constantly fighting each other....and the bass always wins.

I then used my ZSR. Again, technically not as advanced as the ZS10 but simply ear candy in comparison. Sorry, can't help it.
use some EQ. I listened my first session with no EQ, and found the mids to be too recessed and laid back. Also there was some sibilance. Listening to Ellie Goulding, for instance, was not very fun. EQ basically fixed these issues, the coherence between bass and mids is still a problem, but honestly, I think it's hard to pair a DD with BA and not have some level of difficulty due to the way they produce sound.

May 3, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #31,852 of 63,914
You're right - if Rock could pull it off and make it profitable, KZ certainly could. I would also love to see another copper-bodied IEM. The ED9 was very successful; an updated version doesn't even have to have changeable filters

KZ, are you reading this?? Could you consider a ceramic or copper housing please?

P.S. - Hilarious movie BTW. Not everyone appreciates its satire. Funny fact, production was so incredibly difficult due to the marionettes, Matt and Trey vowed never to make another movie as long as they lived. Every time I see the Gary (with his hack-job transformation) flailing his arms trying to give the signal in the back of the jeep as they shoot at him, I spit beer out of my nose LOL

For the ED9 upgrade/redesign, I think a good move would be to offer wood housing. Ebony, Walnut, etcetera but I think they should still offer swappable filters. Now that KZ has graphene dynamic drivers to work with I think a single graphene DD would likely continue the legacy of KZ offering a fantastic sounding yet inexpensive single DD IEM.

KZ, JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE! SOMETIMES MORE IS LESS!

Every time I see the Gary (with his hack-job transformation) flailing his arms trying to give the signal in the back of the jeep as they shoot at him, I spit beer out of my nose LOL

The scenes that makes me spew fluids.

Attachments

• giphy-21.gif
    giphy-21.gif
    495.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #31,853 of 63,914
@DocHoliday no joy with the ZS10 the DD is dead as a door nail still.

AK Audio are being very stubborn and will only accept me returning it for repair. I explained that the cost of tracked shipping from the UK makes this quite costly and offered to pay half of what I originally paid for them to send a replacement, to which they replied that I could buy a new set for $32!!!!!

Worst cs I've had so far from a AE seller.

May 3, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #31,854 of 63,914
I want to get new tips for my ATRs, but I'm not sure if I should go with the Whirlwind or the Starline tips. I'm curious to know what most people prefer between the two for the ATR. If it helps I tend to prefer a more neutral sound. Also my ATRs are the ones with the red shelled driver if that makes any difference.

May 3, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #31,855 of 63,914

AK Audio are being very stubborn and will only accept me returning it for repair. I explained that the cost of tracked shipping from the UK makes this quite costly and offered to pay half of what I originally paid for them to send a replacement, to which they replied that I could buy a new set for $32!!!!!

I had similar issues with my seller after the MMCX contacts of my Tinaudio T2 came loose. I contacted Tinaudio per their Facebook site...and voila...a new pair will be in the mail, soon. Try to get into contact with Knowledge Zenith directly - and explain them why this is no good advertisement for them as it stands.

May 3, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #31,856 of 63,914

That could be why I prefer my ZSR over the ZS10 as well. There is this weird texture thing between the bass and midrange I cannot put my finger on, I don't know if I hate it or not. So most likely the dynamic driver to balanced armature 50096 transition? We don't actually know the crossover points. Up until this point KZ has only used their 30095 with varying dynamic drivers right? The ZSR is the only other one they mention using 2 different BA's, but they are not specific enough to mention models. I am wondering if coherency is something that would show up in measurements somewhere because...well...I like measurements too. Is it not coherent because of the crossover point, or is there a physical distance issue that causes timing differences?

May 3, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #31,857 of 63,914
I had similar issues with my seller after the MMCX contacts of my Tinaudio T2 came loose. I contacted Tinaudio per their Facebook site...and voila...a new pair will be in the mail, soon. Try to get into contact with Knowledge Zenith directly - and explain them why this is no good advertisement for them as it stands.

KZ's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/kzacoustics.hk/

May 3, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #31,859 of 63,914
I want to get new tips for my ATRs, but I'm not sure if I should go with the Whirlwind or the Starline tips. I'm curious to know what most people prefer between the two for the ATR. If it helps I tend to prefer a more neutral sound. Also my ATRs are the ones with the red shelled driver if that makes any difference.

I have medium Starlines on my ATR.

You could try both yourself and see what you like best. Your ears will not be the same as someone elses.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #31,860 of 63,914

What about the buyer protection/dispute on Aliexpress? That's pretty straight forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back