Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #31,517 of 63,922
Is anyone going to try mod the ED15 with MMCX connector?

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #31,518 of 63,922
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #31,519 of 63,922
What’s good kz earphone to use with a fiio x5iii for a fan of hip hop, metal and classic rock?

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #31,520 of 63,922
to anyone disappointed with zs10, try foam tips. i already liked zs10, but i dont think i was able to get a perfect seal without foam, theyre simply the most awkward iems ive used fit wise.

I think the fit issues some people have are related to the fairly short nozzle and how it immediately transitions into the wide, expanding body.

Personally, I thought the most awkwardly fitting IEMs were the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD. After trying dozens of tips, I gave them away because I couldn't get a good seal.
I too have fitment issues with these. I finally got a good fit by using medium instead of my normal large using the enclosed Starline style tips. What's required for me to get a decent amount of bass and sub bass was crazy deep insertion, hence medium instead of my typical large. I mean "am I going to touch my eardrum" deep. They actually go nowhere near deep enough to actually touch but it does feel like they will. Suddenly I had good solid bass and the mids and highs opened up a bit. I think because that although the narrow tip cuts off the sound the deep insertion gets them firing more directly down my ear canal and not towards the side as a typical insertion depth does. Which would explain my preference for the Whirlwind style over the Starline for many IEMs which aren't typically inserted deeply.

Edit: I still think I get a bit of off axis placement of the nozzle opening still because I really don't notice that big treble spike in the 2-4 kHz range that shows on FR graphs and others reviews.

Edit 2: So I'll suggest for those who have these and aren't hearing bass that you go down a size and try for deep insertion. Grab the body, rotate it in your ear to make sure that the cable is leaving the body pointing straight forward and horizontally. Then tilt the body pivoting on the eartips to slightly lift the rear of the body away from contact with your ear and press on the forward portion of the body which should transfer to pushing the ear tip much deeper into your ear canal. See how that sounds. I can believe that it might feel strange or uncomfortable. But its worth a try to see if you get a good sonic signature. If you do then you can tip roll until you find something comfortable but that still gives good sound.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #31,521 of 63,922
Photos.jpg

You find it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zs10.23034/reviews

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #31,522 of 63,922
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the KZ 2 pin connector socket??
I want to make my earphones cable-detachable, like my old beloved ATE. I already have some KZ 2 pins spare cables and the Bluetooth module so I thought about making all my headphones compatible with them to not buy more cables or having to crack open my earphones to fix them (it's not easy). I have been looking everywhere for kz connectors but I can't find them, the closest to the KZ 2 pin connector is this:

https://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3SWYp7-C6-pPjvbZiwy4eT

But I'm not even sure they're compatible.
Maybe some modder here has any idea.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #31,523 of 63,922
I found something interesting while browsing rtings.com reviews. All the popular headphones like Beyer dynamic DT880/990 and Sony MDR-7506 that are used in studios during the mixing and mastering stages have a 10kHz peak.
So, it is possible that KZ designed the ZS6 based on these reference headphones. These headphones are not very popular with general consumers because of their overly analytical sound.

So, ZS6 may not be as bad as we make it out to be. KZ were not exactly out of their mind while tuning it. A graphic or parametric equalizer should take care of those peaks easily.

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #31,524 of 63,922
I found something interesting while browsing rtings.com reviews. All the popular headphones like Beyer dynamic DT880/990 and Sony MDR-7506 that are used in studios during the mixing and mastering stages have a 10kHz peak.
So, it is possible that KZ designed the ZS6 based on these reference headphones. These headphones are not very popular with general consumers because of their overly analytical sound.

So, ZS6 may not be as bad as we make it out to be. KZ were not exactly out of their mind while tuning it. A graphic or parametric equalizer should take care of those peaks easily.

I always said that the ZS6 was akin to an in-ear version of the 668b/669 with a touch more presence in the lower frequencies.
20171129_131230 (0).jpg

To my ears, the use of separate DD's for clean sub-bass & free-flowing mid-bass was a great formula for the ZS6. For me, it's the best of both worlds (micro-detail and well-defined bass without sacrificing the midrange)......at the sub-$50 price-point no less.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #31,525 of 63,922
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #31,527 of 63,922
If i like the ZST and the zs6 would I like the zsr?

I have all three.and I like my ZS6 and my ZSR. I have only had my ZST (carbon color) for a few weeks and I want to like it. So far I find vocals a bit harsh.

Edit: After saying that, I got out my ZST to give it another try and it sounds better than I remembered. Enjoying it now. Maybe I had it too loud before.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #31,528 of 63,922
Why feed the X3 ii to the topping NX2? The X3 has < 1 ohm impedance while the NX2 has around 10 ohms. You just destroyed the tight bass response in my honest opinion.

Great thing is you are entitled to that opinion however I've not had that experience with mine especially listing to my AKG 702's but then again they are not bass bombers in the first place! Never been much of a spec and graph man myself, pretty much go by what MY ears hear. I don't really hear any degradation in the bass tightness going straight from X3ii headphone out as opposed to the NX2 Headout. :beerchug:

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #31,529 of 63,922
Great thing is you are entitled to that opinion however I've not had that experience with mine especially listing to my AKG 702's but then again they are not bass bombers in the first place! Never been much of a spec and graph man myself, pretty much go by what MY ears hear. I don't really hear any degradation in the bass tightness going straight from X3ii headphone out as opposed to the NX2 Headout. :beerchug:
A higher output impedance sustains the primary resonance in the headphones. It is clearly visible in measurements irrespective of whether we believe in or not.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #31,530 of 63,922
Never been much of a spec and graph man myself, pretty much go by what MY ears hear.

We all have different ears. The whole point is to enjoy our music. To be honest, I just scroll past the graphs. I expect some would call me a bad headfier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back