Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #31,486 of 63,836
I think I am going to get one of the BT adapter cable for my ZSR and ZS3, though there are several models that come with memory wire:
-With APTX and without
-2 Pins or MCMX
So should I go for 2 pins + APTX?
Is the APTX model really an aptx one or it's a aliexpress trick? Because both cables are at the same price range.
The APTX version is called BT3

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #31,488 of 63,836
It might be 'clipping' of the frequency wave at higher volumes (higher power draw) and resulting in distorted output, hence the 'harshness'.

Its a problem with speakers when paired with amplifiers not having a transient response that can keep up with the transient power demands of the speaker domes. Its theoretically possible with earphones though its quite unthinkable that an earphone can be that demanding.

Just a question though, what was the driving source you used with the ZS10?

I listen to a lot classical and in particular violins, but I have not noticed that issue yet ( I've gone through about 6 ~7 concertos and chamber pieces since getting the ZS10). But I was playing it on my LG G6 in "external device" mode or through my ES9028Q2M DAC Amp which has plenty of juice.
I was just playing them through my Moto G5S Plus, though I also tried on my amped internal PC sound card. While I'm not testing with a discrete amp, the idea of them clipping at the upper mids seems rather unlikely. For one, I've used more than 10 different IEMs through these same sources, along with several headphones, and never experienced anything like this even at max volume. I'm also talking about having the phone at around 75% volume or higher for classical music, which objectively speaking is probably not all that loud compared to the way many others listen. For most other styles of music I'm usually in the 40-60% range. Then there's the fact that I listen to plenty of metal and hard electronic music that would much sooner cause clipping at the low end, if this were in fact an issue.

On the subject of painfully harsh mids from violins: I am experiencing this across the board be it with orchestral pieces or solo violins, modern recordings or old. While it's more rare and not nearly as noticeable, I've experienced some unpleasantness with some higher guitars, cymbals, and vocals. I have not really investigated this possibility but perhaps my ears are more sensitive than those of most other people in this range.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #31,490 of 63,836
I've finally found a very good use for my ZS10..."Watching Movies"...The thick, fat and warm sound of the ZS10 really comes into play and adds punch to the movie, especially fast action movies with lots of explosions, The big fat colored sound of the ZS10 really makes watching movies so much more fun. Now I've got a good reason to keep the ZS10 :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #31,491 of 63,836
Choo choo! Here comes the KZ ES4 :)

Thanks for the pic.

I'm curious about KZ's follow-through. The KZ YZ40, according to "the phonograph.net", was described as a 1+1 and was to be offered in purple. "mbwilson" was really looking forward to that one and it's possibilities the way many of us have been awaiting for KZ to release the ZSR in white and red. Not sure if the white ZSR is/was an empty promise at this point because KZ has since released two new models (ZS10 and ED15) but:

the promised WHITE ZSR is nowhere to be found.
10077508.png

the promised RED ZSR is nowhere to be found.
the promised BLUE ZSR is nowhere to be found.
the promised CLEAR EARTIPS are nowhere to be found.
the promised CABLE COLOR selection is nowhere to be found.

Time will tell if they are biting off more than they can chew.

At any rate.......been here before when KZ teased the ATH-E70 clone that never materialized.

Seems to be a lot of shuffling going on at KZ and things aren't always as they appear.

GUK5Q31.gif

Part of me kinda' misses the good ol' days.
SKU231650_3.jpg

**** EDIT ****
imageproxy.png

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #31,492 of 63,836
Yeah, I grabbed mine on Amazon sold by **** and it claimed on the description to have the csr8645 chip. But the folks in the question section asked if it's aptx and one claimed that the seller had contacted them and described it as an older version without and that they'd have a newer version soon. Maybe I'll have to check Aliexpress. The funny thing is they state out of stock and available on the 30th. Maybe the newer ones will be available then or it's just a coincidence. I'm fairly certain these are aptx anyways. They certainly sound really good compared to the KZ and ERJIGO bluetooth cables. Those were terrible. The TRN bluetooth sounds fairly close to the silver cables in quality.

Late to the party, but here's my take:

I have what I believe to be the same version you do, and it definitely supports aptX. Here's how I can tell:

On my phone (Note 8) - Enable Developer Settings (Settings > About > tap version number a bunch). Go into Developer Settings and about halfway down there is a section for the Bluetooth Codec. When my BT adapter is connected, it says aptX (not aptX HD, as I don't believe my phone supports that).

Phone and device have to both support the codec, otherwise it will default to SBC (My BlueBuds X, for example, only stream using the SBC codec).

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #31,493 of 63,836
I have tried a pair of actual version (i think) of ATR.
They are easier to listen than other KZ models i have and i like the tonality, using with them the Starline tips.
With the Turbo/Whirlwinds the tonality seem a bit too brighter and everything mid-focused, maybe also because they goes so down the noozle.

The two weights looks awful, but work really good with the cable :ksc75smile:

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #31,494 of 63,836
Thanks for the pic.

I'm curious about KZ's follow-through. The KZ YZ40, according to "the phonograph.net", was described as a 1+1 and was to be offered in purple. "mbwilson" was really looking forward to that one and it's possibilities the way many of us have been awaiting for KZ to release the ZSR in white and red. Not sure if the white ZSR is/was an empty promise at this point because KZ has since released two new models (ZS10 and ED15) but:

the promised WHITE ZSR is nowhere to be found.

the promised RED ZSR is nowhere to be found.
the promised BLUE ZSR is nowhere to be found.
the promised CLEAR EARTIPS are nowhere to be found.
the promised CABLE COLOR selection is nowhere to be found.

Time will tell if they are biting off more than they can chew.

At any rate.......been here before when KZ teased the ATH-E70 clone that never materialized.

Seems to be a lot of shuffling going on at KZ and things aren't always as they appear.

Part of me kinda' misses the good ol' days.

White and red zsr can be Found in taobao and some Aliexpress shops.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #31,495 of 63,836
TRN cable is 4.2.

1 version of the TRN cable has aptX (no aptX HD or aptX low latency). The other version of the TRN cable has no aptX.

ahhh it seems that I purchased the trn bluetooth 4.1 cable which doesn't offer the APT-X support. ($20.99) It has the older "CSR 8635 chipset"

there's another listing that shows the it does have "APTX compatibility" with the "CSR 8645 chipset" on aliexpress. ($28.99)

Darn it.

edit*: I see a picture in the ad from the one that I purchased from with the CSR 8635 chipset on a dissected bluetooth cable. The newer ad with the more expensive headset says that it contains the 8645 chipset.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #31,496 of 63,836
ahhh it seems that I purchased the trn bluetooth 4.1 cable which doesn't offer the APT-X support. ($20.99) It has the older "CSR 8635 chipset"

there's another listing that shows the it does have "APTX compatibility" with the "CSR 8645 chipset" on aliexpress. ($28.99)

Darn it.

edit*: I see a picture in the ad from the one that I purchased from with the CSR 8635 chipset on a dissected bluetooth cable. The newer ad with the more expensive headset says that it contains the 8645 chipset.

some other bluetooth module is using csra64215 which support APTX-LL and APTX . but msot android devcie support only aptx and aptx-hd .

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #31,497 of 63,836
Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement stock cable for the KZ ZS3? I just noticed that mine is starting to wear and I'm looking to replace it but would prefer not to pay the $10 for an "upgrade" cable if I can swing it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #31,498 of 63,836
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #31,499 of 63,836
If i like the ZST and the zs6 would I like the zsr?

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #31,500 of 63,836
Late to the party, but here's my take:

I have what I believe to be the same version you do, and it definitely supports aptX. Here's how I can tell:

On my phone (Note 8) - Enable Developer Settings (Settings > About > tap version number a bunch). Go into Developer Settings and about halfway down there is a section for the Bluetooth Codec. When my BT adapter is connected, it says aptX (not aptX HD, as I don't believe my phone supports that).

Phone and device have to both support the codec, otherwise it will default to SBC (My BlueBuds X, for example, only stream using the SBC codec).

The note 8 probably does support aptx HD. Mine supports plain aptx and it's the good but ancient note 4 (I'm still trying to fight the removable battery issue but alas have failed. Gonna grab the 9 in the fall) Anyways, I wrote **** on Amazon last night and they did verify that the ones arriving April 30 are the Bluetooth with csr8645 chip. Did the same with Skysound and they said all theirs are csr8645. They ship directly from China so it's a bit different than **** and their supplies that go directly to an Amazon warehouse. Thought you all might be interested...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back