Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #31,471 of 63,836
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #31,472 of 63,836
No clue. I only have the aptx version myself (and no aptx sources).

I would check the listing where you bought it again very carefully. The listings that I've seen on Aliexpress have been clear on each version (and there is a price difference between the 2 versions as well).

Yeah, I grabbed mine on Amazon sold by **** and it claimed on the description to have the csr8645 chip. But the folks in the question section asked if it's aptx and one claimed that the seller had contacted them and described it as an older version without and that they'd have a newer version soon. Maybe I'll have to check Aliexpress. The funny thing is they state out of stock and available on the 30th. Maybe the newer ones will be available then or it's just a coincidence. I'm fairly certain these are aptx anyways. They certainly sound really good compared to the KZ and ERJIGO bluetooth cables. Those were terrible. The TRN bluetooth sounds fairly close to the silver cables in quality.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #31,473 of 63,836
Totally agree on the bass. It's great. Love that aspect. Wish the ZS10 had a similar presentation there. But no, I doubt sibilance is a QC issue. Just raw, unfiltered BAs. I'll probably stick on one of the RE400 filters like I did with the ZS6 to take the edge off. Maybe open up the nozzle and stick in some porous foam if needed. With some light mods they'll be great. As-is with the sibilance? Na.

Aesop Rock - Blood Sandwich
Schiller - Under My Skin (feat. Kim Sanders)
Dillon Francis - We The Funk (the mild sibilance it adds to the smooth vocals here is impressive)
Lenzman - Open Page (Feat. Riya) (another with smooth vocals that it adds sibilance to)
BT - The Great Escape (feat. Caroline Lavelle)
De La Soul - Attack of the Stet

Need more?
I chose my own lullaby as I never made it past French Rap (such as Ssssoon E MC and MC Ssssolaar): Sssssscarboro Fair by Sssssimon and Garfunkel from their recent box set at a healthy volume. Sssssscarboro sounded a bit ssssibilant with the ED15 but even more ssssibilant with the Ssssssennheiser Momentum in ear, and equally ssssibilant with the Focal Ssssssspark. Only the ZSssss10 were a bit less ssssibilant.

I'd ssssay the ssssibilance of the ED15 is average on this particular track. I also checked Ssssade "Ssssmooth Operator" and could not find it overly ssssibilant with the ED15.

The threshold is obviously personal. I remember that I thought a year ago my Senns were faulty - now they sound just fine to me. Similar with the Focal Sphear...unless they loosened up after "burn-in" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #31,475 of 63,836
Mine are going back into the box until I'm ready to deal with the sibilance. ZS6 is like cream in comparison. Too bad because the bass is phenomenal. That alone makes them worth the effort. Without it they'd join my ED12 in purgatory, haha.

I've just had a listen to mine again with a track with loads of sibillance(cologne cerrone Houdini by Glodfrapp) and can see how some people may classify them as sibillant. I'm personally not that bothered by it but that's probably due to my ageing hearing, as I was one of the many who found the zs6 fine too.

I've got foams on mine, which may help.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #31,476 of 63,836
Following up on my initial impressions of the ZS10, I am finding harshness in the upper midrange when listening at increased volumes. This was not noticeable at home and only becomes noticeable with specific music.

For most metal and electronic music I sampled with, it did not bother me. However, it was particularly noticeable when listening to violin recordings regardless of production quality. Whenever the violin played forte and louder, especially in the higher registers, if my volume was set to relatively loud it was painful. I haven't experienced this with other earphones in some time. I haven't done much fine tuning with EQ but this is clearly associated with that peak in the 2-4 kHz range. On my very limited phone EQ, I had to cut both the 910 Hz and 3.6 kHz bands by a few dB for it to be tolerable, since those were the only bands available in that range.

I also tried swapping to the Yersen filter tips that came with the FEN-2000 and that completely fixed the harsh mids but has also done more shaping to the FR. I have to spend some more time with them to conclude whether or not I like them for all styles of music.

As for those who are calling the ZS10 bass cannons, have you tried the ZSR? Those have far more bass than the ZS10. I think the bass is actually very nice, smooth, and has pretty good extension.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #31,477 of 63,836
As for those who are calling the ZS10 bass cannons, have you tried the ZSR? Those have far more bass than the ZS10. I think the bass is actually very nice, smooth, and has pretty good extension.
Someone called the ZS10s bass cannons? They are far from that

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #31,479 of 63,836
All in all, zxr is the best offering from kz now? Regardless of price
They seem to be the "safest" of the more expensive KZ models.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #31,480 of 63,836
ZS10 is warm--has good bass, adequate mids, and mellow/not brilliant/not harsh highs; not neutral. It is truly bassy (fast, gripping, and tight); far from lacking; barely seismic/pounding. The tone is just too colored. It not only lacks, but removes, sparkle. Vocals, opera, and acoustic guitar have texture, but are veiled, toned down, and severely weak; awful at low volume. The 3D Binaural/ambience is there, only quite, but sound separation is good. It's not fatiguing. When the cable is right, the ZS10 fits comfortably--the biggest plus I can give. The copper wire tangles a lot, but overall is good; new silver cable makes the sound more muddy, textureless, and weak; if it wasn't dreadful enough. I won't rate the ZS10 with each genre; not kidding, 90/100 songs are not satisfying, not better, after continuous listen for six hours.
Yes, the ZS10 is very, VERY colored. It seems to make every guitar or analog track somewhat electronic sounding. You will lose a great deal of authenticity in some songs.

However just yesterday I found out I can actually love this signature too. They’re great on EDM and electronic music, with their separation in bass and emphasized vocals.

All in all, zxr is the best offering from kz now? Regardless of price
Especially when it comes to price quality ratio. The ZS10 sounds a bit like the ZSR, but it takes away the mid bass bleeding and adds sometimes pronounced and sometimes blown-up mids. Also, the ZS10 has a little more detail in the instrument placement. Although they don’t sound very natural... I’d recommend the ZSR for the price.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #31,481 of 63,836
Following up on my initial impressions of the ZS10, I am finding harshness in the upper midrange when listening at increased volumes. This was not noticeable at home and only becoQes noticeable with specific music.

For most metal and electronic music I sampled with, it did not bother me. However, it was particularly noticeable when listening to violin recordings regardless of production quality. Whenever the violin played forte and louder, especially in the higher registers, if my volume was set to relatively loud it was painful. I haven't experienced this with other earphones in some time. I haven't done much fine tuning with EQ but this is clearly associated with that peak in the 2-4 kHz range. On my very limited phone EQ, I had to cut both the 910 Hz and 3.6 kHz bands by a few dB for it to be tolerable, since those were the only bands available in that range.

It might be 'clipping' of the frequency wave at higher volumes (higher power draw) and resulting in distorted output, hence the 'harshness'.

Its a problem with speakers when paired with amplifiers not having a transient response that can keep up with the transient power demands of the speaker domes. Its theoretically possible with earphones though its quite unthinkable that an earphone can be that demanding.

Just a question though, what was the driving source you used with the ZS10?

I listen to a lot classical and in particular violins, but I have not noticed that issue yet ( I've gone through about 6 ~7 concertos and chamber pieces since getting the ZS10). But I was playing it on my LG G6 in "external device" mode or through my ES9028Q2M DAC Amp which has plenty of juice.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #31,482 of 63,836
1 less BA against ZS6.. hmmm
Screenshot_2018-04-26-12-26-05-839_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.png

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #31,483 of 63,836
Got zs10 first impressions those big fail they sound a lot like tin audio t2 but worse, only good thing about them there no highs piersing. But everything else a lot worse than in zs6, a lot less detail, less sound stage, mudness, less seperation, hard to belive they have 5 drivers

Maybe burn in help but i doubt as they so far away from zs6

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #31,484 of 63,836
Choo choo! Here comes the KZ ES4 :)

DbPL9z2VAAAF9Bf.jpg

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #31,485 of 63,836
interesting. I'm running android 7.0 on my LG v20 however my TRN bluetooth KZ cable says bluetooth 4.2. What does the icon look like on your phone when it says APT-HD is connected? I just see a bluetooth icon at the top of my phone and a battery meter next to it which shows the battery percentage of my headset. hmmmm

on oneplus 3 , it actualy shows Qualcomm APTX logo on the notification side and state APTX-HD .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back