Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #30,706 of 63,914
Ah, that's your problem. Didn't you know that either the red and blue options will sound better because those colors allow more high frequency sound waves to pass through? I mean just look at graphs of amount of transmitted power when you shine a light through black, red and blue filters… :smiling_imp:

Seems about as valid an argument as some I've seen. I agree that a FR graph by itself tells pretty much nothing useful. Two of them though, between 2 different IEMs and a huge 10db difference in one direction yet the reviewers comments in the opposite direction tell lots. Like there were fitment issues, user bias, etc because you can't have something swayed so far in one direction via simple measurements yet swayed as far in the other based on opinion without needing to question the value of the opinion.
Just get all the color so can mix and match for fun, aren't they suppose to be blue on one side and red on the other?

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #30,707 of 63,914
I agree with all of the points and would add that we as a community have done inexperienced listeners ( and everyone else for that matter) a huge disservice by using statements like "punches above its weight", "Giant killer", "The best $500 headphone you can buy for $199". The fact is, we have people believing that such things exist when 99.999% of the time they simply do not. Sure, some products are better than we expect, but usually that means they are slightly ahead of the curve and 6 months from now a new expectation exists for what a product at that price point should be. If you read the hyperbole and expect that these "Giant Slayers" exist with the kind of frequency with which those terms show up in print, it is no wonder you have the expectation that your latest Chi-fi purchase is honestly as good as the much more costly products. Since none of us has the opportunity or finances to do a comparison of every product, we all have to rely on others opinions to draw comparisons and this requires honest, hype free, realistic assessments.

The Shoddy Shozy?

This guy is just brutal(ly honest): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cri...ies-lcdi4-isine20-cipher-updated-8-11.857498/

An enteraining read!

zs3.jpg
shozy.jpg
kinera.jpg

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #30,708 of 63,914
Apr 15, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #30,709 of 63,914
Interesting. I am wondering Where ibasso it01, Tin audio T2 and KZ Zs5 v1 Would fit in that list...

I'd say a high ranking for T2 but other 2 probably stand very little chance - he commented how IT01 is an ok V shaped IEM for 100$, so wasn't very impressed. Imagine what he'd think of ZS5 then...
Even T2 has quite apparent flaws but at least it's remotely natural sounding in the mid range.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #30,710 of 63,914
The v2 cable is just plain BT 4.2 - no aptX. I've used the KZ Bluetooth modules on the ZST, ZS3, ZSR, ZS5, and ZS6. I personally like it best on the ZST - you can't even tell it's bluetooth vs wired on the ZST.

It has a 3-4 hour battery life, although you will find that it can have poor range and sometimes EMI interference issues due to a defect in the antenna design. The antenna can be corrected via a mod though.

The TRN bluetooth cable is better than the KZ adapter. Twice the battery life, and supports aptX.

The best option is the Xiaomi BT Adapter IMO. It can be used on any headphone, has high quality construction, and is super small (about the size of AA battery).

So if I had to rate them, it would be Xiaomi > TRN > KZ

Good to know! I got the KZ Bluetooth for gym sessions but it's very weak on ZS3 and decent on ZST. Would be the Xiaomi an upgrade regarding SQ and power over KZ?

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #30,711 of 63,914
Interesting. I am wondering Where ibasso it01, Tin audio T2 and KZ Zs5 v1 Would fit in that list...
I'd speculate ibasso IT-01 in tear C (like the Focal Sphear) and Tinaudio T2 in tier C- (like the Fostex TE-02). KZ 5 v1. into D or D-, depending on what the author had for breakfast. ZS6 probably in tier E [predicted comment: "screaming, bass on vacation, design for pimps"] and VE Monk Plus into a Kinder surprise egg.

kinder.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #30,713 of 63,914
nicehck store has wxxexxy earbuds. probably same owners. who knows how slowwww china post air mail is?

They are fierce competitors to one another, and not owned by the same people.

They try and duplicate each others products/similar products, as well as prices to anger and steal business from each other LOL

If you want to read about the "other" store, check the link in my signature.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #30,714 of 63,914
Hello everyone! Wow, haven't posted on head fi in a good little while.

Anyway, I still have a left over 50$ visa gift card from Christmas and I dont know what to do with it so i figure why not a new budget IEM?

My last IEM i bought was the cotton candy colored KZ ZST. I'm sure many new KZ models have came out since and now im looking to know what's the current best overall?

I've been thinking about getting either the new MEE audio m6 pro gen 2, or whatever the best KZ model 50 bucks can buy.

I would just like to know the best current overall KZ is and also which KZ model has best vocals? Thanks!

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #30,716 of 63,914
Apr 16, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #30,718 of 63,914
The Shoddy Shozy?

This guy is just brutal(ly honest): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cri...ies-lcdi4-isine20-cipher-updated-8-11.857498/

An enteraining read!

Considering that the cheapest top category IEM is $1300 and the average price of that category tops $2000 is it any surprise at all that anything under $500 gets a rating of better than just "doesn't do anything wrong?"

The highest rated <=$100 IEM is the VSonic GR07 which I thought I remembered reading reviews here that didn't care for it. Got a B-

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #30,719 of 63,914
Considering that the cheapest top category IEM is $1300 and the average price of that category tops $2000 is it any surprise at all that anything under $500 gets a rating of better than just "doesn't do anything wrong?"

The highest rated <=$100 IEM is the VSonic GR07 which I thought I remembered reading reviews here that didn't care for it. Got a B-

I went through the post and it was literally over $125,000 in IEMs.

The information is "nice to know"......
ef2603d796c4ac6bfba7c2e42e4247ef.gif

but for me it's more of the same......
motivate-your-self-picture-id184359582.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #30,720 of 63,914
Hello everyone! Wow, haven't posted on head fi in a good little while.

Anyway, I still have a left over 50$ visa gift card from Christmas and I dont know what to do with it so i figure why not a new budget IEM?

My last IEM i bought was the cotton candy colored KZ ZST. I'm sure many new KZ models have came out since and now im looking to know what's the current best overall?

I've been thinking about getting either the new MEE audio m6 pro gen 2, or whatever the best KZ model 50 bucks can buy.

I would just like to know the best current overall KZ is and also which KZ model has best vocals? Thanks!

Hi, I can't really advise you to buy the MEE M6 pro. I bought it just before getting the ZS6 and there is no comparison between the two.
There are points of the M6 that are amazing.. like the ergonomics, they are light, very good accessory pack and definitely good value for money. But there is no chance for them to compete with the power and energy of the sound delivered by the ZS6. Soundstage of the ZS6 is much much better, bass response on another level, instrumental separation too.
M6 are good if you need some basic music to go for a run, their shape and lightness are awesome and they really stick to your ears. But the sound is nowhere close to the ZS6 apart of the sibilant trebles.
But don't get me wrong, M6 still deliver nice sound but the small driver is not exactly a monster in terms of technical sound production.
I don't have the tennmak pro but I would like to give them a shot. Their shape is very close to the M6 but they hold a double dynamic driver. Reading reviews they should sound much better than the M6 with a slightly lower price.

hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back