Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 16, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #28,231 of 64,392
IMHO The metal Bodied ZS6 puts them in another class altogether to the plastic molds, I do have the ZSR's coming to see how I like them compared to ZST/ZS5V1/ZS3/ATR and ZN1 Mini's:beerchug:

So true...

One of the things that differentiated KZ from their competition in the early days was the fact that most of their models (ED1, ED2, ED3, ED4, ED8 ,ED9, ED10, EDR1, EDR2, & EDSE) were all fashioned from metal. IMHO they should return to their roots and revisit the quality feel of metal, only this time in CNC aluminum (ZS6) instead of the heavier alloys they've used in the past.

In addition, where metals may not be practical (ZS3, ZSR, etc.) KZ should pursue ceramic housing. This was one of the factors that helped catapult the popularity of the Rock Zircon. The ceramic housings had a much more quality feel in the hand than plastic. If RockZircon can do it so can Knowledge Zenith and this one move could put them head and shoulders above just about the entire Chi-Fi budget market. The fact is that, due to KZ's sales numbers, KZ has the resources that much of their competition lacks. All the more reason to outpace them, pull out ahead and perhaps thin out the "me too" junk that's permeated the marketplace. Just a thought.....

Here is the Rock Zircon....
14446991750.jpg
Rock_Zircon_6-1024x768.jpg

and, if I'm not mistaken, this Rhythmos SD7 is fashioned from ceramics as well.

10053979.jpeg
Rhythmos SD7.png

If any of KZ's competition is hungry then they will be looking for an opportunity to make a name for themselves by offering something KZ overlooked. Materials is one such area to make a move. Heavy competition is like playing 3-D chess (anticipate your competitors every move on every level before they make it). Hopefully, Knowledge Zenith is paying attention because WE would love to see them offer higher quality than the competition could ever afford to offer at KZ's pricepoint(s).

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #28,232 of 64,392
Hai. I have plan to have perfect in ear monitor.
I have some candidate, but more candidate is with kz. Especially zs6 and es3.
Another is bgvp dm5 and meelectronics.

I will use for monitoring and listening music to. My mainly musix is trance and EDM, alternative and Jazz.
But, from all my music genre. I need iem which have natural,clarity, good separation, staging and the great deepth bass.
Did the KZ ZS6 good for this.
Or has another can be suggest what is perfect for me but i'm under 100buck.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #28,233 of 64,392
Should I pull the trigger on the ZS6? Currently using the ZS5 v1. The metal casing is real tempting. Or should I hold out for the ZS10/ZSR Pro thing that's supposedly coming out this year?

Although ZS6 is nicer looking and more comfy (for me ZS5 is great), if You like ZS5v1 sound and You have low output-impedance source with some juice for amping, no need to upgrade to ZS6 imho. But if You want to upgrade on aesthetics and durability, then go for ZS6.

Btw, my ZS5 wooden faceplates CAD drawings are ready and tested ok imported to CNC.
Next week will try to finish them and sand down edges of plastic shells and paint.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #28,234 of 64,392
So true...

One of the things that differentiated KZ from their competition in the early days was the fact that most of their models (ED1, ED2, ED3, ED4, ED8 ,ED9, ED10, EDR1, EDR2, & EDSE) were all fashioned from metal. IMHO they should return to their roots and revisit the quality feel of metal, only this time in CNC aluminum (ZS6) instead of the heavier alloys they've used in the past.

In addition, where metals may not be practical (ZS3, ZSR, etc.) KZ should pursue ceramic housing. This was one of the factors that helped catapult the popularity of the Rock Zircon. The ceramic housings had a much more quality feel in the hand than plastic. If RockZircon can do it so can Knowledge Zenith and this one move could put them head and shoulders above just about the entire Chi-Fi budget market. The fact is that, due to KZ's sales numbers, KZ has the resources that much of their competition lacks. All the more reason to outpace them, pull out ahead and perhaps thin out the "me too" junk that's permeated the marketplace. Just a thought.....

Here is the Rock Zircon....

and, if I'm not mistaken, this Rhythmos SD7 is fashioned from ceramics as well.

If any of KZ's competition is hungry then they will be looking for an opportunity to make a name for themselves by offering something KZ overlooked. Materials is one such area to make a move. Heavy competition is like playing 3-D chess (anticipate your competitors every move on every level before they make it). Hopefully, Knowledge Zenith is paying attention because WE would love to see them offer higher quality than the competition could ever afford to offer at KZ's pricepoint(s).

Right you are, probably some of my appeal to this day on my ED9/11 & HDS1's however I believe they were one of the first aluminum ones:thinking:

Anyway I do like ceramic and have a ceramic duo myself:wink: or we can just call them my Cerami-Kins:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

YingYang.JPG

@CoiL I'm pumped for those new cads to go live sir:beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #28,236 of 64,392
the shop from i were getting kz curved lowest impedance (black rings in plug) seems to have run out of them.. i've received the "new" one, with white rings (higher impedance, imbalance: left 0.79, right 0.60, ground 0.71 ohms).
so avoid it.. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...ord-3-5mm-3-pole-Jack-for-KZ/32788061546.html

By any chance, would you re-publish the figures for the TRN cable (#42, I think on your original post a while back). Those figures were very helpful but I am a little foggy on the TRN.
HTB1tyb5d.o09KJjSZFDq6z9npXaq.jpg_q85.jpg
HTB1z.iLjTvI8KJjSspjq6AgjXXaH.jpg_q85.jpg

No rush. Thanks Hakuzen.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #28,237 of 64,392
The more I see that TRN cable the more I want to buy it. But I got that 4 strand braided style and I really like it and really don't need to replace it with a different cable. Hopefully KZ will offer something new for me to get and then I will be able to get a TRN cable for that one. After all how else will I spend my money. Eating and heating is just so passé

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #28,239 of 64,392
The more I see that TRN cable the more I want to buy it. But I got that 4 strand braided style and I really like it and really don't need to replace it with a different cable. Hopefully KZ will offer something new for me to get and then I will be able to get a TRN cable for that one. After all how else will I spend my money. Eating and heating is just so passé

Though my ZSR has not yet arrived I am willing to bet that for a comfortable fit you will need the angled connectors that are found on the stock cables and the TRN cables.

Yesterday I was out and about with the TRN V10 for six hours straight and the cable I used was the tri-braided KZ with the metal connector jackets. Though it was a good pairing for sonics (ZuneHD+TRN V10+Tri-braid) it was slightly annoying that the cables hovered over my ear, not touching any part of it. This meant numerous adjustments over the six hours I wore them. I learned my lesson and now know that when I order upgrade cables for the ZSR (similar housing to the TRN) the cables must be designed with the 90°+/- angle so the cable wraps more firmly around the ear.

BTW, those TRN V10's, thus far are the BEST IEMs I have used for outdoor purposes. I do have to qualify that statement though. The V10 tends to lean to the darker/warmer side and the mid-bass can be a bit much at times, but I seem to have found a perfect match-up [TRN V10+Widebore eartips +power-efficient DAP (ZuneHD)+upgraded cables (.42/.43/.44 - R/L/G)]. The power-efficient DAP sucks some of the weight out of the sub- and mid-bass, the widebore eartips diffused the bass just a little more. The end result was a meaty and satisfying thickness that simply wouldn't be dominated by the ambient noises surrounding me at any given moment. I was quite surprised at how well they performed considering their dark nature. They didn't sound dark at all outdoors and they didn't sound bright. There was a quite a bit of detail and definition, though not as refined as the ZS6, but still very good for outdoor use. They're definitely not for critical listening at home, but those quad-drivers really put on a show on the street.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for outdoor use, these will probably pair very well with a smartphone or Cowon Plenue D or iPod Touch or decent power-efficient device.

When the ZSR arrives I will put them through the same paces and report back here with copious notes. In the meantime I'll say that I went through the day far more impressed than I thought possible.

Thus far....
The king at home is the ZS6.
The king outdoors; the TRN V10.

Looks like I will be limited to the following for upgrade cables for the ZSR and TRN if I want comfort and proper functionality.
HTB1Uy5_mhrI8KJjy0Fpq6z5hVXas.jpg_q85.jpg
10065418.jpg
61jugtrJnmL._SL1500_.jpg
Yellow ZSR.jpg

As beautiful as some of the other cables I planned to purchase were, I don't think they will be as functional as the above cables.

These $40 & $22 cables (respectively) might fit the bill though:
HTB1Gfe0mqmWQ1JjSZPhq6xCJFXaQ.jpg_q85.jpg
2pin $22.png

That ZSR needs to get here....like.....yesterday.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #28,240 of 64,392
I really like it....a lot. It's sort of a slightly warmer ZST (warmer vocals and deeper bass) . There's more micro-detail than the ZS3, but slightly less than the ZST. All of those who find the ZST treble to be a bit much should be looking directly at an ES3. KZ clearly had them in mind when releasing it. The bass isn't as clean, but it definitely performs. I imagine the ZSR sub-bass is the equivalent since it's the same 10mm driver.

I plan on doing a review of them, but the BA in my right earpiece is damaged. Sure, I'll open 'em up and try to fix it, but for a proper review these should be replaced.

....and true to form, I'll be ordering more. I hope they issue an ES3 in that deep red they used for the ED12. KZ could get some use out of that color (we know the ED12 sales were abysmal) while the rest of us can get a new color option. Win-Win in my eyes!

Inspired by your nice pic, I used my ES3. But my problem prevailed: nice looking, too much uncontained bass that eats the recessed mids...these iems lack spark and shine, they sound dull and blunt with no coherence and fluidity. The sound is the opposite of airy, fluffy, and open. I then used the ZSE, which did actually sound airy, fluffy, and open...much much better. They ZSE surprise me every time. No idea why nobody figures that. I guess this thread is mainly about window dressing: cheap, good looking iems and sexy cables in the colours of the season and other accessories. But where is the listening pleasure?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #28,241 of 64,392
Inspired by your nice pic, I used my ES3. But my problem prevailed: nice looking, too much uncontained bass that eats the recessed mids...these iems lack spark and shine, they sound dull and blunt with no coherence and fluidity. The sound is the opposite of airy, fluffy, and open. I then used the ZSE, which did actually sound airy, fluffy, and open...much much better. They ZSE surprise me every time. No idea why nobody figures that. I guess this thread is mainly about window dressing: cheap, good looking iems and sexy cables in the colours of the season and other accessories. But where is the listening pleasure?

A few questions:
1) What is your preferred sound signature?
2) What source were you using?
3) What genre of music?
4) What eartips?
5) Your favorite IEM and why?

The irony is just too inviting to pass up because this proves, once again, that we all hear things differently.

Many find the ZSE to sound congested at times.
Your comments about the ZSE paint a different portrait.
Using my ES3 with a power-efficient DAP (ZuneHD), I found them airy and lighter than I prefer on the low end, but I know while listening at home they have a warmer tilt.

It sounds to me, from your comments, that you prefer air and micro-detail as opposed to warmth and weight. If the ES3 serves no useful purpose for you perhaps a friend or associate would enjoy them and you're only out $15......but now you know what you don't like so you'll know what to avoid as people describe other models and/or brands.

At any rate, please give more detail regarding the aforementioned questions.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #28,242 of 64,392
10mm found in both ZSR and the ES3.
ZSR and ES3 have same crossover too? Can You maybe measure resistors? Interesting....

It sounds to me, from your comments, that you prefer air and micro-detail as opposed to warmth and weight.
Actually, from what I`ve read he rather likes latter as he pretty much "hates" ZS5v1.
But his comments tend to be little too subjective and harsh on many IEMs. It`s his style of commenting :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #28,243 of 64,392
By any chance, would you re-publish the figures for the TRN cable (#42, I think on your original post a while back). Those figures were very helpful but I am a little foggy on the TRN.

No rush. Thanks Hakuzen.
done. a moderator removed that entry, like any other mention to that cable. i guess he thinks it's an item from the banned seller. i bought mine in NiceHCK (not banned, although i now have doubts about if it belongs to the banned seller's list of shops -there are many-; nicehck seemed to belong to other owners, at the beginning at least..).

KZ cables DC resistance:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1785#post-13964853

glue clogged bass vents raise the bass considerably, so it might be excessive, and mids & highs sound recessed in comparison. punch the hole with a needle very carefully (punch a little and try, till bass is ok): if you overpunch it, you'll have to close it again with tape, and re-punch the tape (little hole is needed).
foam in the nozzle, in the empty side of the nozzle, aside with BA, is used to tame the mids and upper mids from the dynamic driver. if your mids don't go forward after fixing the bass issue, you can try to remove some of that foam and try.
search for @vector84 posts about ES3 in this thread (also search for mine) to get further information.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #28,244 of 64,392
ZSR and ES3 have same crossover too? Can You maybe measure resistors? Interesting....

Actually, from what I`ve read he rather likes latter as he pretty much "hates" ZS5v1.
But his comments tend to be little too subjective and harsh on many IEMs. It`s his style of commenting :wink:

Thanks for this post, Coil. Seems I've overlooked a significant detail with that crossover. Good looking out. Haven't done any testing. No gear at the moment, but I should have considered this and the QC issues that hakuzen mentions about glue and foam in the nozzles.

done. a moderator removed that entry, like any other mention to that cable. i guess he thinks it's an item from the banned seller. i bought mine in NiceHCK (not banned, although i now have doubts about if it belongs to the banned seller's list of shops -there are many-; nicehck seemed to belong to other owners, at the beginning at least..).

KZ cables DC resistance:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1785#post-13964853

glue clogged bass vents raise the bass considerably, so it might be excessive, and mids & highs sound recessed in comparison. punch the hole with a needle very carefully (punch a little and try, till bass is ok): if you overpunch it, you'll have to close it again with tape, and re-punch the tape (little hole is needed).
foam in the nozzle, in the empty side of the nozzle, aside with BA, is used to tame the mids and upper mids from the dynamic driver. if your mids don't go forward after fixing the bass issue, you can try to remove some of that foam and try.
search for @vector84 posts about ES3 in this thread (also search for mine) to get further information.

"I bought mine in NiceHCK (not banned, although i now have doubts about if it belongs to the banned seller's list of shops -there are many-; nicehck seemed to belong to other owners"

I was beginning to wonder about this myself last night while searching for cables. Maybe the heavy volume guys (NiceHCK & banned seller) know each other if they both have their facilities in the Shenzeng electronics district. Probably a friendly competition between the two.

Thanks for the link and for directing the OP to seek out what could be a QC issue. I forget this issue exists because quality control has only been an issue maybe 5% of the time with my KZ's.

Your post and Coil's will serve as a necessary reminder that their is sometimes more than meets the eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back