Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #28,246 of 63,672
skajohyros said:
Close to perfect for me would be zs6 bass and mids, more balanced highs and the phenomenal soundstage of the zs5.

That sounds VERY tempting. Could anybody compare ZS5, 6 and ZSR in details?
BTW, I received Ostry KC06A yesterday. They are twice as much as ZS6 but I wouldn't say they sound better. Will play with different tips, though, as I am expecting different sizes of spinfit and Comply tips. May be that will help Ostry to sound better. I've read so many positive reviews on Ostry and it's a frustration now to hear no difference.

Hey bud, the KC06A are amazing. Don't lose heart. Play around with the tips. The stock filtered tips were no good for me. What actually worked for me was The stock, 'M size filtered tip, minus the filter' (i removed the filter from the tip). Sounded the best. The bass reaches super low and the mids are almost close to perfection to my liking.YMMV. Treble may get a little siblant at times but nothing in treble cannon category. Even today, they are one among the top few IEMS i reach out for.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #28,247 of 63,672
So TRN is an exclusive brand of the banned seller, and can’t be discussed?

News to me.
dunno.. but a moderator posted, reminding us to avoid mentions to the banned seller shops and products, and then i found my posts about trn cable were deleted. so i guess yes.

about the ES3 QC issues, and their workarounds, found my frequency response measurements, where you can notice the influence of glued venting holes and nozzle foams:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1525#post-13765816

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #28,248 of 63,672
dunno.. but a moderator posted, reminding us to avoid mentions to the banned seller shops and products, and then i found my posts about trn cable were deleted. so i guess yes.

about the ES3 QC issues, and their workarounds, found my frequency response measurements, where you can notice the influence of glued venting holes and nozzle foams:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1525#post-13765816

Thanks for this hakuzen.Those readings in your first chart show such a wide variance, which is concerning. Clear evidence of why two different people hear two different things. Unacceptable QC!
10012499-1.png

For those of us who are older than god:
ES3 blue vs purple.png

The joys of finger-painting.....

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #28,249 of 63,672
What actually worked for me was The stock, 'M size filtered tip, minus the filter' (i removed the filter from the tip). Sounded the best. The bass reaches super low and the mids are almost close to perfection to my liking.YMMV. Treble may get a little siblant at times but nothing in treble cannon category. Even today, they are one among the top few IEMS i reach out for.
Do you mean size M for "crystal clear sound" or for "bass-driven sound"? But there are no filters there. I think you mean the one which is the only with a mesh/filter. Right?
Are they (Ostry) really better than Sony MH1, Bose AE2 and **** F02?
Which of the four is bassier?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #28,250 of 63,672
Do you mean size M for "crystal clear sound" or for "bass-driven sound"? But there are no filters there. I think you mean the one which is the only with a mesh/filter. Right?
Are they (Ostry) really better than Sony MH1, Bose AE2 and **** F02?
Which of the four is bassier?

We get 3 pairs of Eartips (S,M,L) with mesh and 3 pairs(S,M,L a bit too soft) without mesh.

Yes, I meant Size M which actually had a mesh/filter in them initially. But it sounded perfect when i pushed/removed the mesh/filter out of them.

P_20180218_104449.jpg P_20180218_105108.jpg

Though the MH1C sound good, Ostry's are on a different league compared to them.
Bose AE2(yes i regret buying these) and F02 is a joke compared to how these sound. No comparison, trust me. If u have been using a Zs6/Zs5, keep them aside for a while since your ears might have been adjusted to those extreme treble. When i initially used the Zs6 for 3 days and then went to my other Iem collection, i was really scared since i couldn't hear much treble even from my titan 1 which i loved so much before. For a moment, i thought that i had lost my hearing in the high freq range, lol. Took me about 2 days to get the actual feel of my titans back. Went back to Zs6 and that's when i realized how Siblant and Trebley the Zs6 were. Been staying away from the ZS6 for a while.. :dt880smile:

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #28,251 of 63,672
If u have been using a Zs6/Zs5, keep them aside for a while since your ears might have been adjusted to those extreme treble. When i initially used the Zs6 for 3 days and then went to my other Iem collection, i was really scared since i couldn't hear much treble even from my titan 1 which i loved so much before. For a moment, i thought that i had lost my hearing in the high freq range, lol. Took me about 2 days to get the actual feel of my titans back. Went back to Zs6 and that's when i realized how Siblant and Trebley the Zs6 were. Been staying away from the ZS6 for a while.. :dt880smile:
I absolutely agree with you. Brain burn-in is so much more real. Listening to some single dynamic lately like Ostry KC09, now i hardly reach out to zs6 anymore coz few attempts i found out that i couldn't stand the sibilant and treble. But of course i believe if i give them more time after a few listen, i'll get used to it again and the ostry will become dark again. Human's brain is so nice to play with lol. Anyway, ostry seems to be very underrated here, not sure why. Maybe price or design is not appealing i guess

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #28,253 of 63,672
Hi, I did test yersteday a fresh ES3 with stock mic cable. My feelings:
Bass are big and round
Voices are recessed (level and details)
Highs are sibilant, and it is disturbing
My fresh ES3 is not well tuned
So now let try a long burn in...
I can compare with my:

# ZST (burn in 80h, stock no mic cable)
Bass: very good level, some details,
Voices slightly recessed but more level and details than ES3
High: Very good, details, no sibilance (after long burn in)
the ZST is well tuned, warm large spatial soundstage, good instruments separation.
# ZSR (burn in 10h, KZ silver cable)
Bass: Powerfull, defined, goes deep and deeper with same energy, not excessive & pushes hard when needed
Voices: Good details, slightly recessed in some cases
Highs: Excellent, usualy not sibilant
The ZSR is like a super ZST
# ZS6 fresh out off the box (red, with ZS3 no-mic stock cable)
Bass: near ZSR but a bit different
Voices: Clear, detailed, not recessed, better than all others
Highs: Excellent, details, no sibilance, nearly as ZSR, lower level (Do I have a ZS6-ll ?)
The ZS6 is like a super ZSR...

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #28,254 of 63,672
Hi, I did test yersteday a fresh ES3 with stock mic cable. My feelings:
Bass are big and round
Voices are recessed (level and details)
Highs are sibilant, and it is disturbing
My fresh ES3 is not well tuned
So now let try a long burn in...
I can compare with my:

# ZST (burn in 80h, stock no mic cable)
Bass: very good level, some details,
Voices slightly recessed but more level and details than ES3
High: Very good, details, no sibilance (after long burn in)
the ZST is well tuned, warm large spatial soundstage, good instruments separation.
# ZSR (burn in 10h, KZ silver cable)
Bass: Powerfull, defined, goes deep and deeper with same energy, not excessive & pushes hard when needed
Voices: Good details, slightly recessed in some cases
Highs: Excellent, usualy not sibilant
The ZSR is like a super ZST
# ZS6 fresh out off the box (red, with ZS3 no-mic stock cable)
Bass: near ZSR but a bit different
Voices: Clear, detailed, not recessed, better than all others
Highs: Excellent, details, no sibilance, nearly as ZSR, lower level (Do I have a ZS6-ll ?)
The ZS6 is like a super ZSR...

So KZ ZS6 the new one the Red v2 is good? should i now consider it? i may.

ill wait few weeks and order it then, if its as u say, Then i might want to try the new improved ZS6 :D
Thank you for the detailed explanation. seems like the new red Zs6 thats is little more expensive is better it seems.

i do like the ZSR, its the first iem that made me go " WOW" i started to listen to music again and making Vaporwave (on YT) because of it :D

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #28,255 of 63,672
So KZ ZS6 the new one the Red v2 is good? should i now consider it? i may.

ill wait few weeks and order it then, if its as u say, Then i might want to try the new improved ZS6 :D
Thank you for the detailed explanation. seems like the new red Zs6 thats is little more expensive is better it seems.

i do like the ZSR, its the first iem that made me go " WOW" i started to listen to music again and making Vaporwave (on YT) because of it :D

Cheers!

I think that if you do not need more clear & detailed voices, you may stay with the ZSR.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #28,258 of 63,672
All of the tips from the box are without meshes. The box was sealed. Do you think I got a fake product? I have only one tip with a mesh.
Never heard of fake Ostry's. Highly unlikely. May be they changed the accessories qty??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back