Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #26,191 of 63,949
To put things in proper perspective, he said that he liked the sound signature and the overall build quality versus price preposition of it. Not that he thinks the ZS6 were better than the Quads. He certainly didn't mention that.
But still, for someone coming from earphones that cost almost 10x as much to ask for one immediately, its quite an endorsement.
Actually, I'm blind

Link:

Here's the link anyways, if anyone's interested. But I do apologize for misquoting @maxxevv

Thanks again for the amazing input!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #26,192 of 63,949
To put things in proper perspective, he said that he liked the sound signature and the overall build quality versus price preposition of it. Not that he thinks the ZS6 were better than the Quads. He certainly didn't mention that.
But still, for someone coming from earphones that cost almost 10x as much to ask for one immediately, its quite an endorsement.

I can agree there. The Quads are, inarguably, the "better" headphone. The build is amazing, the sound is smooth and coherent, but the rolled off treble leaves me using the ZS6 more.

FWIW I have the Pinnacle P1, Quad, ZS5v1, and ZS6, and out of the 4 of them the ZS6 has been getting the most eartime by far. Part of that is the P1's impedance makes them sub-optimal with a phone (I listen loud), but it's still telling that I don't swap out to the P1 with my Mojo all that often. I rather like the LG v30 + ZS6 more. We'll see how the iBasso stacks up, reviews led me to think they're more in line with the ZS6 than the New Primacy, which people said were more mid-centric and had much softer treble (not qualities I'm looking for).

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #26,193 of 63,949
Indeed. The ZS6 does have something nice about them. A good friend uses the 1More Quad as his daily drivers. He had a listen of my ZS6's recently and asked if I could get a pair for him if I were to order anything too..... Says a lot!
Actually, i have never heard the Quads myself, but i have also seen others compare the Quads to Zs6

You quoted my comment. I was replying to yours.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #26,194 of 63,949

You quoted my comment. I was replying to yours.
Actually, I would apologize here, as I misread the comment. It's 3:42 am and I read it as "Dm3 TV"comparing the zs6 (which he hasn't)

And yep I'd agree with you and SomeGuyDude, since you have the gear and can test it. Honestly my bad, I'll edit my post to reflect that

Have a nice day!

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #26,195 of 63,949
Actually, I would apologize here, as I misread the comment. It's 3:42 am and I read it as "Dm3 TV"comparing the zs6 (which he hasn't)

And yep I'd agree with you and SomeGuyDude, since you have the gear and can test it. Honestly my bad, I'll edit my post to reflect that

Have a nice day!

LMAO get some sleep, brotha!

But yeah, it's largely about preference here, and finding tips that work. I'd never tell someone the ZS6 are better than the P1, for example, because they're pretty different and the P1 is a stunningly good product, I just don't listen to it as much.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #26,196 of 63,949
Actually @SomeGuyDude, I was meant to sleep at 2 am... But then I decided to read a few pages of this thread which I missed out

After seeing a certain someone, post a certain something (you know who :xf_eek:), I just had to post my findings before I went to bed... And now I'm half asleep

SmartSelectImage_2017-12-10-03-51-09.png

Still embarrassed I mis-read you're post @maxxevv. It happened when I was half asleep and saw this "he said he liked" lol

I'll be off to bed for sure now, have a good day/evening all

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #26,197 of 63,949
Ok, i normally avoid being rude or inflammatory, but at this point, lets have a proper discussion. I will try eliminating all bias and objectively dissect any confusions i might have.

So you claim there are "so many alternatives that offer way better sound and build quality" for $50? I have been looking my hardest for the last 2 months to find more iems of the same caliber that compete or outshine the Zs5/6. As expected i found only a few, these include: Tin2 and brainwavz b100. However, there is a caveat,

1: I did listen to the T2's, they are damn good but at $40 USD, they dont blow the KZ out of the water at half the price $20/$12. Infact, the bass is lacking a bit for my taste and misses extension which is not a deal breaker, but i listen to a lot of rap (kendrick, drake, post malone and so on)

2: I havn't heard the brainwavz b-100 but they are tuned very differently. They are also $50 so i wont comment on them since i have no experience

At this point, you might bring up a "marshall modes" comparison, but i have completely dealt with that and debunked that it sounds close to Zircons, with less treble and more defined mids. They are deff bass boosted iems i would not at all be interested in, since i have a plethora of those. (I made a comprehensive and objective post which the mods deleted, go figures)

Now here is the dilemma, i can not trust you if you only say: "Marshall Modes are better" and come up with no other name. Yet, you constantly say this: "There are a lot of better iems under $50". As far as i know, i have only found 2 iems as stated above that are $50 and compete well. Now obviously there is sound preference in play here, for each of us, but we can still agree on some basics after owning so many iems. So i believe we can judge specific characteristics accurately and leave out bias (i.e mids, bass and highs)

At this point, i own Zircons, Remax D610s, Swingie80, LZA 3a, blitzwolf (coming soon) Boarsmen , Dzat and Sennheiser momentum's. As you notice, some are very bass heavy and differ from my only 2 kz iem (zs5 and 3). So i can assure you, its not me being biased and trying to "protect" my cognitive dissonance by forcing myself to believe since i spent $ on kz. ( It does outclass my $120 in-ear sennheisers). Clearly you noticed im trying to achieve variety with my gear but i used to have a distinct preference of heavy low end (Which is the opposite of zs5), but that has changed over time.

At this point, i want names of youre so called "better iems" under $50. Not close and ties with the zs5, rather what you said yourself. "BETTER".

I actually asked you this in the past i believe, but i just kept getting marshalls. If need be, i will rewrite my findings of the modes and explain exactly why i believe its nothing more than the plethora of bass boosted iems (youre run of the mill sub 20 chifi iem). As far as the KZ goes, you dont own the Zs5 v1, which i believe is the best iem i own. So i wouldn't expect you to yell they are treble cannons, since they are not (only 1 BA near nozzle, and foams enhance bass even further). I have heard the zs6, and i will agree, there is deff more emphasis on the high end. Infact, its sibilant to my ears (Fall Out Boys: last of the real ones). However, i can get around that with foam tips...weird but it works for me. Yet, i didnt buy the zs6 since i find the zs5 v1 to be more suited for me and very similar sound wise. (As stated, i want variety in my gear)

Lastly: Its ok to have your'e opinion. I can totally see why you might think the Kz's have exaggerated highs (which it does at times). However, that does not mean youre absolutely correct and everyone might perceive it as such. Judging from youre fondness of warm sounding iems with boosted bass (yes modes have boosted bass, like my zircons) its pretty much expected.
Heck, i was a sucker for overwhelming bass, hence i have zircons and dzat. But for me, over time i realized, the Zs5's sounds mighty superior for Jazz and has much better instrumental separation, pleasing yet not overpowering punchy bass and excellent reproduction of live recordings (And unlike bass boosted iems, they dont muddy the mids or bleed into it) . Do i listen to my zs5 all the time? No. Do i treat it like the bible of cheap iems? No. Do i think its absolutely amazing and punches far far above its weight? YES. The point is, opinions and preferences change over time, but i believe its no right to state opinion as facts. According to you, Sennheiser HD600 can be trash due to it being bright, but that wont be "Fact". Just what you think.

Now, i will be patiently awaiting your'e response, and see where i might have messed up or how i might have not found "Much better iems" under $50.

Edit: If i was a kz fanboy, i would get the zs6 and horde them. But im a poor university student that wants variety, hence i digress.

I don't have the time or money to buy many $50 iems, especially after buying my babies, the KEF M100 that makes the KZ ZS5 sound so harsh, hollow and unnatural in comparison.

But I'd consider the following earphones (other than the Mode) around $50 or less:

- Sony EX450/EX650
- Final Audio E2000/E3000
- Meze 11 Neo
- Zero Audio Carbo Tenore

You'd lump the Modes with another pair of IEMs you don't really like just like how I'd lump the ZS5s with cheap IEMs I don't like. So you're opinionated too! Admit it.

Further, Jazz on ZS5s!? You must be mad! The brass instruments would sound so harsh!

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #26,198 of 63,949
well that was a well thought out post with specific examples and logical conclusions. I mean, if the other fella can explain why an IEM at 4x the price, with exaggerated bass and rolled off treble is better than my ES3 that I am really loving , I'm all ears....
....but I am sure it will be met with nonsense, fecal spraying, fever eyed nitwitedness.

I'd buy that album.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #26,199 of 63,949
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #26,200 of 63,949
Almost the entirety of my IEM lineup consists of KZ models. Started with the ATE-S, and then tried ZS2, ATR, ZS3 & ZSE in this order.. The only one I didn't actually prefer in the end was the ZS2. Far from disliking them, I just didn't like their sound signature that much, and I gifted them. From the KZ line-up, I'm mainly rotating between ZS3 and ZSE depending on the mood. Between the ZS3 & ZSE I forked some more and bought a PMV A-01 Mk. II which can be attested by some reputed members here to be one highly regarded and very capable IEM. These are my personal flagships, so to speak.

Yet, I often come back to the ZS3 or ZSE, which were 10x cheaper.

Heck, I'd even say I sometime enjoy them more! The ZS3 with the Slater-mod is just so much fun. And recently tried the remove-red-mesh-and-stick-earbud-foam-in-the-nozzle mod on the ZSE as someone suggested (can't remember who it was). The result? Improved sound, for me, and another plus to an already pretty good IEM. The point being, as much as i love the sound of my PMV and I don't regret buying them, I am having trouble justifying how close the KZ come to it considering the price difference. If someone would say to me, "From now on, the only IEM you'll ever be allowed to use is a ZS3 (or ZSE)!" I'd say: "Well, okay. No problem!"

It seems that KZ offers insane value for the price. For any "normal" user out there who just wants a good piece of equipment without being infected with the audio bug, getting a ZSE or ZS3 can very well be considered TOTL. What more do you actually need, for your day-to-day listening experience? Maybe I'm not that much of a critical listener, but I'm finding it hard to find a serious fault with any of the KZs I've tried...

Fun fact: I once took my modest collection for my sort-of-audiophile uncle who's an old school guy mostly into stereo equipment, and has been largely out of the loop regarding the IEM/earbud development. He was by far most impressed with the ZS3, followed by the TY HI-Z 32ohm. I didn't have the ZSE at the time, though I'm sure he'd have liked it. Sure, part of the reason is certainly that mainstream fun tuning of the KZs, but surely in part is also some genuine sound quality (despite the extremely cheap prices of these 'phones).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #26,201 of 63,949
You know what's a really important word in this thread?

Fun.

I feel like everyone gets so caught up in the technical proficiency of various products elsewhere on the site that they start trying to tune their ears to match the headphones instead of finding the headphones that puts the biggest smile on their face. People in here aren't even listening to the most expensive out of KZ's dirt cheap lineup, simply because they prefer other stuff.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #26,202 of 63,949
You know what's a really important word in this thread?

Fun.

I feel like everyone gets so caught up in the technical proficiency of various products elsewhere on the site that they start trying to tune their ears to match the headphones instead of finding the headphones that puts the biggest smile on their face. People in here aren't even listening to the most expensive out of KZ's dirt cheap lineup, simply because they prefer other stuff.
true story.
I really like my ZS5 for how engaging they are, I start out with the intent to a/b with my other IEMs and just wind up listening to music on them, like the good lord intended.....but I actually prefer my ES3 (so far) and I don't for a second worry about if they sound 'right' I just love listening to music on them. Technically the ZS5 is superior, but it's the ES3 I keep picking up first. Ironically it's that fun factor that keeps me from liking the ZS3...for some reason it's just not doing it for me. Fortunately I have friends that aren't as picky as I am and someone will wind up with a nice little gift of them I am sure.

Dec 9, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #26,203 of 63,949
and I don't for a second worry about if they sound 'right' I just love listening to music on them.

I could say this about almost everything I have. I am a music lover.

Dec 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #26,204 of 63,949
true story.
I really like my ZS5 for how engaging they are, I start out with the intent to a/b with my other IEMs and just wind up listening to music on them, like the good lord intended.....but I actually prefer my ES3 (so far) and I don't for a second worry about if they sound 'right' I just love listening to music on them. Technically the ZS5 is superior, but it's the ES3 I keep picking up first. Ironically it's that fun factor that keeps me from liking the ZS3...for some reason it's just not doing it for me. Fortunately I have friends that aren't as picky as I am and someone will wind up with a nice little gift of them I am sure.

How is it superior though!? On what ground?

I am so perplexed by this because I don't find the ZS5 good for music listening at all. It's too hollow, harsh and unnatural sounding. It just breaks the immersion for me, as it just doesn't sound "right". But detail retrieval is superb. You can pick everything up in a song.

Dec 9, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #26,205 of 63,949
I could say this about almost everything I have. I am a music lover.

Same.

Don't get me wrong, I have expensive gear, my desktop rig for example, but what matters most is my connection to my music. The ZS6 did that admirably. Stunningly well for a set that can be had for $30-ish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back