Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 9, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #26,206 of 63,910
Same.

Don't get me wrong, I have expensive gear, my desktop rig for example, but what matters most is my connection to my music. The ZS6 did that admirably. Stunningly well for a set that can be had for $30-ish.

Spot on. I have a Susvara on hand yet I still mess around with these sub 10 USD earphones. Why? Because in the end they accomplish the same thing; they entertain. They still hit those emotional heart strings on the right tracks. And they do it well.

There is a reason I say KZs are a near perfect place to begin in this hobby. Spend 30-40 bucks and buy 3 or 4 with different signatures. Once you know what you like, upgrade (if you even feel the need). Save the upgraded unit for your serious listening and use the KZ as a daily beater.

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #26,207 of 63,910
How is it superior though!? On what ground?

I am so perplexed by this because I don't find the ZS5 good for music listening at all. It's too hollow, harsh and unnatural sounding. It just breaks the immersion for me, as it just doesn't sound "right". But detail retrieval is superb. You can pick everything up in a song.

To invoke The Dude, "That's like, your opinion man" and MY OPINION is that every time I put them on, I FIND I get lost listening to different tracks. I enjoy detail retrieval...I like the sound signature of my ES3, they suit my ears well....so, come on,
Get real for a minute, what is the point of your existence in this thread? WHY ARE YOU HERE? I can claim them to be superior (which I didn't but, for arguments sake, I will) on the grounds that to my ears they are. The same way that you continue to vomit the detritus in your head out onto this board that they are not. You are an unwanted, annoying little gnat of a presence, a mosquito in a locked room buzzing our collective ears.
Your opinion has been duly noted, we all get that you don't like these headphones, now, why won't you please, buzz off? What do you possibly hope to achieve other than making this thread less enjoyable for others? Because that's all you're doing, you are taking away from the enjoyment of others.
YOU
are the only headfi member that several other members have pm'd me to complain about.
and to get back on topic....
Has anyone done a mod on the ZS5 V2 similar to the one slater did to the ZST where he added foam to the BA to tame treble?
After burn in I noticed the sibilance mellowed out quite a bit on mine, but I'm wondering
if a little foam in the nozzle might help?
('foam in the nozzle' is a funny phrase. hehe)

EDIT I did say superior...compared to another KZ IEM...I thought you were asking how I can say they are superior to your beloved Modes. My bad.
and ..come on, the ZS5 is a technically superior headphone to the ES3...one is a simple 2 driver per ear setup and the other is 4 drivers and a crossover.
See what happened there? I realized I was mistaken, I corrected myself and now I am moving on...just like you might want to do? Admit these are all your opinions, it's wrong for you to question the tastes and experiences of others and MOVE ON...just a thought...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #26,209 of 63,910
So, after seeing the KEF M100 for sale for 30 I decided to give them a try. Interesting sound with good detail retrieval. Ultimately, it might suit me better than ZS6 once I take the time to get used to both as I've only had the ZS6 like a week. The very next day my 11/11 order arrives and I'm just now listening to the Auglamour RT-1. All I can say is I feel bad for the upcoming neglect of the ZS6 & M100 as this just sounds "like home" with my initial listening if that makes sense to anyone. Also might result ina neglected Toneking Nine Tails which arrived in the same delivery.

The ZS3 has the same feeling for me, and while the ZS5 & 6 are technically quite a bit better, the ZS3's sound suits me better. Could just be a matter of a better fit with the ZS3.

I really do need to spend some time with the ZS6 soon however as it certainly hasn't gotten enough time to really make a decision.

Dec 9, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #26,210 of 63,910
this just sounds "like home" with my initial listening if that makes sense to anyone

of course this makes sense..perfect sense...enjoy

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #26,212 of 63,910
just pick up a pair of kz zs3 cant wait to see how much bass these have!
I think you'll like the sound. Good bass, more present mids than many/most of KZ's BA line. If they fit you, I understand that they'll be quite comfortable.

I have ears that won't get along well with them fit-wise but I do like the smoother treble vs. the ZS5 and ZS6. Not necessarily better, but a nice break from the crispness of the two later ZS series on some music.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #26,213 of 63,910
I think you'll like the sound. Good bass, more present mids than many/most of KZ's BA line. If they fit you, I understand that they'll be quite comfortable.

I have ears that won't get along well with them fit-wise but I do like the smoother treble vs. the ZS5 and ZS6. Not necessarily better, but a nice break from the crispness of the two later ZS series on some music.
you and I are like weird ear-twins or something! I can't quite get the fit right on my ZS3s and I gotta do the stupid reverse foam tip thing too!
For me the best fit is the ES3, they feel made for me, go figure.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #26,214 of 63,910
you and I are like weird ear-twins or something! I can't quite get the fit right on my ZS3s and I gotta do the stupid reverse foam tip thing too!
For me the best fit is the ES3, they feel made for me, go figure.
I'll have to check out the ES3 then, my wierd ear-twin.
How would you compare it to the ZS3 and ZS6 sound- wise?

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #26,215 of 63,910
I'll have to check out the ES3 then, my wierd ear-twin.
How would you compare it to the ZS3 and ZS6 sound- wise?
I don't have a ZS6, I went with the 5 ...regardless, I can't give great impressions at this point, I got an ear infection a few days after I got all of them. I haven't been able to hear properly out of that ear for a few days now...
The ES3 seems almost neutral compared to the ZS5...I'm not prepared to say it's "neutral sounding" since I can't hear correctly right now, but compared to each other, the ES3 is less bright (in a good way) and the bass doesn't dip quite as low...so it's a little more smooth and of a piece if that makes sense?

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #26,217 of 63,910
I don't have a ZS6, I went with the 5 ...regardless, I can't give great impressions at this point, I got an ear infection a few days after I got all of them. I haven't been able to hear properly out of that ear for a few days now...
The ES3 seems almost neutral compared to the ZS5...I'm not prepared to say it's "neutral sounding" since I can't hear correctly right now, but compared to each other, the ES3 is less bright (in a good way) and the bass doesn't dip quite as low...so it's a little more smooth and of a piece if that makes sense?
Thanks. That sounds interesting. I certainly like IEMs that give an 'of a piece' presentation. One reason I like the ZS6 over ZS5.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #26,218 of 63,910
Does anyone have an actual proper review of the Es3? I didn't buy it initially, since there wasnt a huge splash but now im interested again after hearing youre thoughts @Cruelhand Luke

Can someone do or link one kindly?

My take away is: Less bright (yay) and slightly less bass extension, and sounds diff than the ZS lineup

Edit: Wait, did we have Es1 and Es2? Or is it just a new lineup that starts from Es3 for no reason :thinking:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #26,219 of 63,910
Does anyone have an actual proper review of the Es3? I didn't buy it initially, since there wasnt a huge splash but now im interested again after hearing youre thoughts @Cruelhand Luke

Can someone do or link one kindly?

My take away is: Less bright (yay) and slightly less bass extension, and sounds diff than the ZS lineup

Edit: Wait, did we have Es1 and Es2? Or is it just a new lineup that starts from Es3 for no reason :thinking:
I get the feeling a wealth of reports in this thread of QC issues with the ES3 early on probably has something to do with the lack of enthusiasm. I feel like those QC problems contributed to some seriously wide swinging initial impressions that really just didn't paint a cohesive picture of why you would choose them over the ZS5 or ZST.
(front volume venting QC = bass all over the place, foam placement in the nozzle QC = mids all over the place too)

@Vidal did a quick review on it right after it came out (here)
@hakuzen has a bunch of measurements on it (here) and some tinkering with modding (here)

My take was pretty much in line with what Vidal posted about them - that's too much bass for me.
(bass on them is very moddable though, but tricky because they're so touchy about messing with their front volume venting)

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #26,220 of 63,910
I get the feeling a wealth of reports in this thread of QC issues with the ES3 early on probably has something to do with the lack of enthusiasm. I feel like those QC problems contributed to some seriously wide swinging initial impressions that really just didn't paint a cohesive picture of why you would choose them over the ZS5 or ZST.
(front volume venting QC = bass all over the place, foam placement in the nozzle QC = mids all over the place too)

@Vidal did a quick review on it right after it came out (here)
@hakuzen has a bunch of measurements on it (here) and some tinkering with modding (here)

My take was pretty much in line with what Vidal posted about them - that's too much bass for me.
(bass on them is very moddable though, but tricky because they're so touchy about messing with their front volume venting)
Very very interesting, the over all picture i get is: Avoid the first batch of Kz's for 2 reason:

1: Wait it out for an amazing GB deal
2: Mods

I dont think i will be picking them up then, i moved on from iems with heavy low end, but i will deff consider it if there is a price drop/deal.

I think i will start calling you Surgical Vector from now on, your'e like a surgeon, very precise and have a vast expanse of information at your'e disposal :p

Lastly, whats with the naming scheme? I can't find any Es1/2, weird :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back