Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 10, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #26,221 of 63,929
Lastly, whats with the naming scheme? I can't find any Es1/2, weird :shrug:
No idea, but maybe something to do with being a GearBest exclusive initially? :shrug:

I really want to love the ES3 - the amount it can be altered by some simple mods really makes me feel like there's a gem to be had there somewhere that I just haven't discovered yet... but it just didn't inspire me enough to find it, I suppose. :shrug:

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #26,222 of 63,929
foam placement in the nozzle QC = mids all over the place too)

that's too much bass for me.
(bass on them is very moddable though, but tricky because they're so touchy about messing with their front volume venting)
RE the foam in the nozzle, can you be more specific with the issues there? Mine seem fine, I haven't really even looked that close at the ES3 yet, but looking just now both sides have a little foam in the nozzle next to the BA driver, which seems to indicate it is there to adjust the frequencies of the dynamic driver, so I suppose mids and lower frequencies are affected by that?
RE the bass, there are 2...or 3? vents. There are two obvious small holes, one or both could be covered or widened to affect sound. There's a third hole that seems to have a little white decal or tape on the inside, I imagine piercing that would have an effect as well...so, three possible changes right there without even opening them up.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #26,223 of 63,929
Thanks. That sounds interesting. I certainly like IEMs that give an 'of a piece' presentation. One reason I like the ZS6 over ZS5.

What's better with the ZS6 (vs ZS5)? Besides build quality of course....

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #26,224 of 63,929
Hi guys, late comer to the ZS train, started with the ZS6 :ksc75smile:
(potato quality photo)
As said by others, ZS6's trebles are a bit annoying to me, so foam pads are on their way from china. Is there any other way to bring trebles down other than the 75ohm resistor?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #26,225 of 63,929
ok. so i tried the "on backwards" foam tip idea. i can't believe it. it actually works. (sealing a bit better) due to the tip not being rounded/tapered.

i've been using comply for years, and it wasn't until recently that i've purchased some iems that are more of a custom/higher-end shape like ZS3, ZST, Westone, Sure, style etc... and with the shape of these, the foam tips don't go in as far as they would with your standard cylinder style iem.

anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

....ingenuity at it's finest.

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #26,226 of 63,929
(potato quality photo)
As said by others, ZS6's trebles are a bit annoying to me, so foam pads are on their way from china. Is there any other way to bring trebles down other than the 75ohm resistor?

EQ, if available. doesn't take much either to rein them in.

also, look for slaters mod posts for ZS5/ZS6. bunch of options (i'll look for link)

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #26,230 of 63,929
ok. so i tried the "on backwards" foam tip idea. i can't believe it. it actually works. (sealing a bit better) due to the tip not being rounded/tapered.

i've been using comply for years, and it wasn't until recently that i've purchased some iems that are more of a custom/higher-end shape like ZS3, ZST, Westone, Sure, style etc... and with the shape of these, the foam tips don't go in as far as they would with your standard cylinder style iem.

anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

....ingenuity at it's finest.
Necessity, as they say, is the mother of invention. Loud stage, insanely loud drummer, (think Animal from the Muppets on steroids) and me thinking that I have to block the racket out or go deaf. Just a desperation move, really.

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #26,231 of 63,929
I get the feeling a wealth of reports in this thread of QC issues with the ES3 early on probably has something to do with the lack of enthusiasm. I feel like those QC problems contributed to some seriously wide swinging initial impressions that really just didn't paint a cohesive picture of why you would choose them over the ZS5 or ZST.
(front volume venting QC = bass all over the place, foam placement in the nozzle QC = mids all over the place too)

@Vidal did a quick review on it right after it came out (here)
@hakuzen has a bunch of measurements on it (here) and some tinkering with modding (here)

My take was pretty much in line with what Vidal posted about them - that's too much bass for me.
(bass on them is very moddable though, but tricky because they're so touchy about messing with their front volume venting)

No idea, but maybe something to do with being a GearBest exclusive initially? :shrug:

I really want to love the ES3 - the amount it can be altered by some simple mods really makes me feel like there's a gem to be had there somewhere that I just haven't discovered yet... but it just didn't inspire me enough to find it, I suppose. :shrug:

you were the first one who dealt with ES3 tinkering and found their QC issues, @vector84 . even after reading your experience, i walked through similar path: oversized the glued vent hole of one driver with a needle, and had to fix it by using your trick: tape + little hole punched with the needle.
agree with your appreciation, playing with the vent hole and with foam at the nozzle, you can tweak bass and 1.5-4kHz area many dBs. if we find them too bassy, just make the hole bigger (carefully); if we want to go back, tape + punch preferred hole size. if we find mids too forwarded or recessed, play with the foam in the nozzle (it tames the mids which come from the dynamic driver).
for the price they cost, i found them more competent (resolution, imaging, etc.) than many other hybrid iems which costed me 4x more, and i like their tonal signature. so they are a very good value, imo.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #26,232 of 63,929
your welcome, but make sure you give props where due.... to slater. (one of the gurus in this thread)
Yes, BUT...please, for your own sefety, do not @Slater three times as this will cause him to appear in your house and start attacking all your IEMs with sewing needles and laser glue!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #26,233 of 63,929
Before
(potato quality photo)

I'd wait a bit and use EQ. I ended up slowly reducing the EQ progressively and now, 2 months later, I don't even EQ them anymore. Brainburn or whatnot I'll have to cross check with my unused KZ ZS6....

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #26,234 of 63,929
I'll have to check out the ES3 then, my wierd ear-twin.
How would you compare it to the ZS3 and ZS6 sound- wise?
Another quick ES3 observation, they like to be amped a little.
My phone has a pretty good dac/amp, but straight from the phone it's not quite so smooth, but running through the Fiio A3 cleans the sound up and makes it a really pleasurable IEM.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #26,235 of 63,929
What's better with the ZS6 (vs ZS5)? Besides build quality of course....
Note that I have the ZS5 v.1 which I understand is quite different than v.2.

With the with the ZS5, it seems that the different frequency ranges are separately being piped into my ears via 3 different hoses, so to speak. The biggest hose carries the treble. They are ok on most music, and exceptional on Classical, acoustic, ambient and live music because they boost the sense of space and the feeling of being there.

The ZS6 feels more unified and whole in its presentation, with one big hose delivering the sound to my ears. It has the uncanny ability to morph to the music on the low end. Classic rock sounds like classic rock without bass bloat. Switch up to EDM and you would swear that you were in a room with a massive subwoofer. The bass extension goes way low, easily below 20 Hz. At those frequencies, I feel rather than hear my eardrums being driven.

The mids, while still recessed, are much stronger than my ZS5.

Treble is still overdone, but can be tamed with foam (Comply-style) eartips or other, more involved mods.

Soundstage is very good, but not as airy and spacious sounding an the ZS5.

Plus, the ZS6 is beautiful, thanks to its construction and color, (borrowed from Campfire Audio). I just like to look at them sometimes, lol.

Remember, this is only my experience with the two. Other people can and do hear things differently, so take this as my opinion, not "truth".

Edit: My impressions are from using pretty average source gear: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Sky, laptop and PC earphone outs. I have heard that the ZS5 sounds amazing with better sources that can handle its ultra low impedance.
The ZS6 seems to sound good on any somewhat adequate souce...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back