Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 8, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #26,176 of 63,946
Three words for you to burn into your brain: IN MY OPINION.

Not sure why you spend so much time in a forum when you don't like the products? You are welcome to your opinions, but please don't parade them around as facts...

Life is good when you use the ignore function.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #26,177 of 63,946
…Since there is no indication on the two pin ends of which pin is ground, I am going to use my multimeter for that…
Nothing wrong with using your multimeter but the cable does have an indicator of orientation. Although it may look like the opening where you'll be trimming is rectangular it actually has one rounded end. This matches up with the rounded end of the key in the IEM shell. Just mark the rounded end of the cable before you trim it off and you'll be oriented correctly. @Slater has a link in his signature showing pictures of the orientation key.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #26,178 of 63,946
What happened to them?
For ZS3 I sold it away because I really had too many iems at that time. For ZS5 even though it was the 2nd good unit I got, eventually led to channel imbalance (IDK how unlucky I am) and gave it to my father. Really unlucky with zs5 :/

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #26,179 of 63,946
Further, there are so many alternatives under $50 that offer way better sound quality and build quality. And I don't believe that it's a huge sum of money to spend on earphones. But yeah, go ahead and find out how cheap you can go with KZ. They cut so many corners and the earphones are badly EQed. Enjoy your nasty boosted treble and hollow mids. But please, for the love of good sound, stop praising these cheap earphones like they're the cat's pajamas! Because they're not

Ok, i normally avoid being rude or inflammatory, but at this point, lets have a proper discussion. I will try eliminating all bias and objectively dissect any confusions i might have.

So you claim there are "so many alternatives that offer way better sound and build quality" for $50? I have been looking my hardest for the last 2 months to find more iems of the same caliber that compete or outshine the Zs5/6. As expected i found only a few, these include: Tin2 and brainwavz b100. However, there is a caveat,

1: I did listen to the T2's, they are damn good but at $40 USD, they dont blow the KZ out of the water at half the price $20/$12. Infact, the bass is lacking a bit for my taste and misses extension which is not a deal breaker, but i listen to a lot of rap (kendrick, drake, post malone and so on)

2: I havn't heard the brainwavz b-100 but they are tuned very differently. They are also $50 so i wont comment on them since i have no experience

At this point, you might bring up a "marshall modes" comparison, but i have completely dealt with that and debunked that it sounds close to Zircons, with less treble and more defined mids. They are deff bass boosted iems i would not at all be interested in, since i have a plethora of those. (I made a comprehensive and objective post which the mods deleted, go figures)

Now here is the dilemma, i can not trust you if you only say: "Marshall Modes are better" and come up with no other name. Yet, you constantly say this: "There are a lot of better iems under $50". As far as i know, i have only found 2 iems as stated above that are $50 and compete well. Now obviously there is sound preference in play here, for each of us, but we can still agree on some basics after owning so many iems. So i believe we can judge specific characteristics accurately and leave out bias (i.e mids, bass and highs)

At this point, i own Zircons, Remax D610s, Swingie80, LZA 3a, blitzwolf (coming soon) Boarsmen , Dzat and Sennheiser momentum's. As you notice, some are very bass heavy and differ from my only 2 kz iem (zs5 and 3). So i can assure you, its not me being biased and trying to "protect" my cognitive dissonance by forcing myself to believe since i spent $ on kz. ( It does outclass my $120 in-ear sennheisers). Clearly you noticed im trying to achieve variety with my gear but i used to have a distinct preference of heavy low end (Which is the opposite of zs5), but that has changed over time.

At this point, i want names of youre so called "better iems" under $50. Not close and ties with the zs5, rather what you said yourself. "BETTER".

I actually asked you this in the past i believe, but i just kept getting marshalls. If need be, i will rewrite my findings of the modes and explain exactly why i believe its nothing more than the plethora of bass boosted iems (youre run of the mill sub 20 chifi iem). As far as the KZ goes, you dont own the Zs5 v1, which i believe is the best iem i own. So i wouldn't expect you to yell they are treble cannons, since they are not (only 1 BA near nozzle, and foams enhance bass even further). I have heard the zs6, and i will agree, there is deff more emphasis on the high end. Infact, its sibilant to my ears (Fall Out Boys: last of the real ones). However, i can get around that with foam tips...weird but it works for me. Yet, i didnt buy the zs6 since i find the zs5 v1 to be more suited for me and very similar sound wise. (As stated, i want variety in my gear)

Lastly: Its ok to have your'e opinion. I can totally see why you might think the Kz's have exaggerated highs (which it does at times). However, that does not mean youre absolutely correct and everyone might perceive it as such. Judging from youre fondness of warm sounding iems with boosted bass (yes modes have boosted bass, like my zircons) its pretty much expected.
Heck, i was a sucker for overwhelming bass, hence i have zircons and dzat. But for me, over time i realized, the Zs5's sounds mighty superior for Jazz and has much better instrumental separation, pleasing yet not overpowering punchy bass and excellent reproduction of live recordings (And unlike bass boosted iems, they dont muddy the mids or bleed into it) . Do i listen to my zs5 all the time? No. Do i treat it like the bible of cheap iems? No. Do i think its absolutely amazing and punches far far above its weight? YES. The point is, opinions and preferences change over time, but i believe its no right to state opinion as facts. According to you, Sennheiser HD600 can be trash due to it being bright, but that wont be "Fact". Just what you think.

Now, i will be patiently awaiting your'e response, and see where i might have messed up or how i might have not found "Much better iems" under $50.

Edit: If i was a kz fanboy, i would get the zs6 and horde them. But im a poor university student that wants variety, hence i digress.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #26,182 of 63,946
I have some iBasso IT03's incoming, and I think it speaks volumes of the ZS6 that trying to find an upgrade was a serious struggle. The P1 and 1MORE Quad just weren't doing it right.

Waiting for Your impressions! I wish You could compare them to ZS5v1, ZST and ZS6. Been eyeing IT03 long time but now there are so many options in that price range not to mention iBasso released cheaper IT01.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #26,183 of 63,946
Ok, i normally avoid being rude or inflammatory, but at this point, lets have a proper discussion. I will try eliminating all bias and objectively dissect any confusions i might have.

So you claim there are "so many alternatives that offer way better sound and build quality" for $50? I have been looking my hardest for the last 2 months to find more iems of the same caliber that compete or outshine the Zs5/6. As expected i found only a few, these include: Tin2 and brainwavz b100. However, there is a caveat,

1: I did listen to the T2's, they are damn good but at $40 USD, they dont blow the KZ out of the water at half the price $20/$12. Infact, the bass is lacking a bit for my taste and misses extension which is not a deal breaker, but i listen to a lot of rap (kendrick, drake, post malone and so on)

2: I havn't heard the brainwavz b-100 but they are tuned very differently. They are also $50 so i wont comment on them since i have no experience

At this point, you might bring up a "marshall modes" comparison, but i have completely dealt with that and debunked that it sounds close to Zircons, with less treble and more defined mids. They are deff bass boosted iems i would not at all be interested in, since i have a plethora of those. (I made a comprehensive and objective post which the mods deleted, go figures)

Now here is the dilemma, i can not trust you if you only say: "Marshall Modes are better" and come up with no other name. Yet, you constantly say this: "There are a lot of better iems under $50". As far as i know, i have only found 2 iems as stated above that are $50 and compete well. Now obviously there is sound preference in play here, for each of us, but we can still agree on some basics after owning so many iems. So i believe we can judge specific characteristics accurately and leave out bias (i.e mids, bass and highs)

At this point, i own Zircons, Remax D610s, Swingie80, LZA 3a, blitzwolf (coming soon) Boarsmen , Dzat and Sennheiser momentum's. As you notice, some are very bass heavy and differ from my only 2 kz iem (zs5 and 3). So i can assure you, its not me being biased and trying to "protect" my cognitive dissonance by forcing myself to believe since i spent $ on kz, it should be better ($120 on sennheisers). Clearly you noticed im trying to achieve variety with my gear but i used to have a distinct preference of heavy low end (Which is the opposite of zs5), but that has changed over time.

At this point, i want names of youre so called "better iems" under $50. Not close and ties with the zs5, rather what you said yourself. "BETTER".

I actually asked you this in the past i believe, but i just kept getting marshalls. If need be, i will rewrite my findings of the modes and explain exactly why i believe its nothing more than the plethora of bass boosted iems (youre run of the mill sub 20 chifi iem). As far as the KZ goes, you dont own the Zs5 v1, which i believe is the best iem i own. So i wouldn't expect you to yell they are treble cannons, since they are not (only 1 BA near nozzle, and foams enhance bass even further). I have heard the zs6, and i will agree, there is deff more emphasis on the high end. Infact, its sibilant to my ears (Fall Out Boys: last of the real ones). However, i can get around that with foam tips...weird but it works for me. Yet, i didnt buy the zs6 since i find the zs5 v1 to be more suited for me and very similar sound wise. (As stated, i want variety in my gear)

Lastly: Its ok to have your'e opinion. I can totally see why you might think the Kz's have exaggerated highs (which it does at times). However, that does not mean youre absolutely correct and everyone might perceive it as such. Judging from youre fondness of warm sounding iems with boosted bass (yes modes have boosted bass, like my zircons) its pretty much expected.
Heck, i was a sucker for overwhelming bass, hence i have zircons and dzat. But for me, over time i realized, the Zs5's sounds mighty superior for Jazz and has much better instrumental separation, pleasing yet not overpowering punchy bass and excellent reproduction of live recordings (And unlike bass boosted iems, they dont muddy the mids or bleed into it) . Do i listen to my zs5 all the time? No. Do i treat it like the bible of cheap iems? No. Do i think its absolutely amazing and punches far far above its weight? YES. The point is, opinions and preferences change over time, but i believe its no right to state opinion as facts. According to you, Sennheiser HD600 can be trash due to it being bright, but that wont be "Fact". Just what you think.

Now, i will be patiently awaiting your'e response, and see where i might have messed up or how i might have not found "Much better iems" under $50.

Edit: If i was a kz fanboy, i would get the zs6 and horde them. But im a poor university student that wants variety, hence i digress.
well that was a well thought out post with specific examples and logical conclusions. I mean, if the other fella can explain why an IEM at 4x the price, with exaggerated bass and rolled off treble is better than my ES3 that I am really loving , I'm all ears....
....but I am sure it will be met with nonsense, fecal spraying, fever eyed nitwitedness.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #26,184 of 63,946
I have some iBasso IT03's incoming, and I think it speaks volumes of the ZS6 that trying to find an upgrade was a serious struggle. The P1 and 1MORE Quad just weren't doing it right.

Indeed. The ZS6 does have something nice about them. A good friend uses the 1More Quad as his daily drivers. He had a listen of my ZS6's recently and asked if I could get a pair for him if I were to order anything too..... Says a lot!

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #26,185 of 63,946
Indeed. The ZS6 does have something nice about them. A good friend uses the 1More Quad as his daily drivers. He had a listen of my ZS6's recently and asked if I could get a pair for him if I were to order anything too..... Says a lot!

Actually, i have never heard the Quads myself, but i have also seen others compare the Quads to Zs6

In my honest opinion, that alone is a huge achievement for a $20 pair of iems. Now, in all honesty its not in my intention to stir controversy, but i have seen the Youtubers "DM3 TV" say he likes the Zs5 Over One-More Quads. Now that in itself (whether true or false) is mighty impressive i think ($300 vs $13)

well that was a well thought out post with specific examples and logical conclusions.
....which I am sure will be met with nonsense, fecal spraying fever eyed nitwitedness.
Actually, i really hope he comes out with a proper response. I still think he might have a few points here and there, but he nevers states them. It always goes back to same dialogue of "There are better iems" or "i like marshalls".

One again, im not going to hate or even undermine his views, but opinions shouldn't be stated as facts, unless he can prove them. Which he has not even tried doing so far

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #26,186 of 63,946
Well shucks. My first QC issue with a modern KZ.

20171209_095437.jpg

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #26,187 of 63,946
Waiting for Your impressions! I wish You could compare them to ZS5v1, ZST and ZS6. Been eyeing IT03 long time but now there are so many options in that price range not to mention iBasso released cheaper IT01.

I don't have the ZST, but I can compare to the other two for sure.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #26,188 of 63,946
Actually, i have never heard the Quads myself, but i have also seen others compare the Quads to Zs6

In my honest opinion, that alone is a huge achievement for a $20 pair of iems. Now, in all honesty its not in my intention to stir controversy, but i have seen the Youtubers "DM3 TV" say he likes the Zs5 Over One-More Quads. Now that in itself (whether true or false) is mighty impressive i think ($300 vs $13)

The Quads are much more rolled off at the high end, I can see how someone would prefer the ZS5 for the extra treble energy. They're also $200, but that's still a heck of a price gap.

As for Professor Marshall, don't feed him. He barely has valid points. All he ever does is go "OMG KZ IS SUCH GARBAGE THEY'RE LIKE TURDS IN YOUR EARS MARSHALL MARSHALL MARSHALL MODEY MODE"

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #26,189 of 63,946

To put things in proper perspective, he said that he liked the sound signature and the overall build quality versus price preposition of it. Not that he thinks the ZS6 were better than the Quads. He certainly didn't mention that.
But still, for someone coming from earphones that cost almost 10x as much to ask for one immediately, its quite an endorsement.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #26,190 of 63,946
The Guy are so inconvenient with that mode crap that he didn't realize hes doing a negative propaganda on the earphones. But i will ignore how annoiyng he is and pay attention on Other's impressions on the modes. So far It seems like a bassy earphone with good, not recessed mids, sound interesting to me. But i still love kz's, even if my Zst has more highs than i Would call ideal, cause i have common sense. And If you know i Will grab zsr even before read impressions. Because at that point, modern kzs are solid, trustworhty chi-fi references. What other budget chi-fi Brand has a historical with so much solid options ? "Flagships" from KZ, only from 2015: ATE, ED9, ATE S, ZS1, ZS3, ZST, ZS5, ZS6, ES3. Other's budget chi-fi brands hit the spot one time, and the release mediocre iems. KZ are not only good, but references.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back