Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #26,146 of 63,958
I had the same assumption based off of a forum I was on years ago that had a lot of really obnoxious trolls, you'd ignore them and then somebody would quote them so you saw their vomitus anyway...I don't usually ignore people, however I also am not good at NOT responding and mocking people that insist on being a nuisance. Another member pm'd me and basically said please ignore this person so that the thread doesn't get locked...and yet here I am...damn.
It's a shame there aren't other threads on head-fi more suited to their preferences... :rolling_eyes:

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #26,147 of 63,958
My amp goes to 13 yo!
this amp goes to 13.jpg

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #26,148 of 63,958
I had the same experience with all of mine, you just have to keep trying gentle firm pressure, it will go in eventually.
Im pushing as hard as I can, and it either ends up with the earphone shooting out of my hand, or my thumb hurting from the pressing.

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #26,149 of 63,958
Hope you didn't spit your coffee on anything expensive.

<Soapbox mode: on>
Reminds me of a story my dad once told me...

Two guys were sitting in a bar, discussing who had the better watch. The guy with the Rolex says: "mine is accurate within a second a month." Timex Guy says: "Mine too" Rolex Guy: "Mine is waterproof." Timex Guy, "This one too" This went on for a while, until Timex Guy says: "Bet you $500 I can do something with my watch you can't do with yours!" Rolex Guy: I'll take that bet!"

Timex Guy puts his watch on the bar, pulls out a hammer and smashes the watch to bits, then hands the hammer to Rolex Guy. Needless to say, Timex guy goes home with a broken watch and $500 in his pocket.

Is a Timex the same quality as a Rolex? No way. Will a Timex tell time well enough for daily use by people who can't see putting a sizeable chunk of cash into an accessory? You bet!
<Soapbox mode: off>

That is such a bad analogy though! Mechanical watches make no sense! They're way more expensive than quartz watches and less accurate. You also have to spend hundreds of dollars to service them, and it only gets dumber and more expensive with "in house movements". I don't think much of watch enthusiasts. They spend more money for over-engineered and under-performing pieces of jewelry.

I'd get the Timex watch and spend another $30 for a nice leather strap over a dumb Rolex that looks boring (they all look the same) and requires expensive servicing every ~6 years.

This example just doesn't relate to KZ at all. Sure, they make the cheapest 4 driver earphones in the market. But that just sounds good on paper. The reality is a different story.

Further, there are so many alternatives under $50 that offer way better sound quality and build quality. And I don't believe that it's a huge sum of money to spend on earphones. But yeah, go ahead and find out how cheap you can go with KZ. They cut so many corners and the earphones are badly EQed. Enjoy your nasty boosted treble and hollow mids. But please, for the love of good sound, stop praising these cheap earphones like they're the cat's pajamas! Because they're not

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #26,151 of 63,958
Im pushing as hard as I can, and it either ends up with the earphone shooting out of my hand, or my thumb hurting from the pressing.

I got the ZST some days ago (it's my first KZ too!) and I was struggling to fit the cable for about 5 minutes. Patience is the key... You can also check if the pins aren't a bit crooked I needed to fix my right-side because of that.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #26,152 of 63,958
I got the ZST some days ago (it's my first KZ too!) and I was struggling to fit the cable for about 5 minutes. Patience is the key... You can also check if the pins aren't a bit crooked I needed to fix my right-side because of that.
After about 30 mins I managed to get 1 side in..
Think im giving up for tonight, my finger hurst like hell

Edit: Woohoo finally got it

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #26,153 of 63,958

Glad you finally got it. At least it won't come loose anytime soon!

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #26,154 of 63,958

Glad you finally got it. At least it won't come loose anytime soon!

You might want to leave that cable in forever now... I would.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #26,157 of 63,958
Oh, here are a couple more. 25 image limit and whatnot. There you go. 31 unique KZs (the Z1 is intermingled in with the ED4 in the above post).

Those old-school KZs are so cool!
You're missing the IE80. Never got one?

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #26,159 of 63,958
Some of them are great. Many are horrible, haha. Nope, never found the IE80 at a good enough price so I passed. Maybe one day. At least I got a Micro Ring :ok_hand:.

The Micro Ring is a legend!
Wish I had one. And a DT5 also...

Yeh, some KZs are horri... errr..., not for my taste. The ED12, the ATR and the EDS1...
And then you have the bipolar ED7, sounds quite good out of a laptop or smartphone, awful with a proper DAP or amp.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #26,160 of 63,958

I always believed you could do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back