Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 9, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #24,931 of 63,929
Hi all, I've received my ZS6 and am kind of disappointed by the piercing 'tschh' in the highs. I've read that these could be solved by foam tips? I already have a black OFC kz cable and a kz foam tip on the way to me, but meanwhile is there anything i can do to fix the issue without tearing the thing apart? It is really hurting my ears!
KZ foams without the rubber core don't seem to attenuate the highs in the same way as the Comply/chifoam tips.

Besides destructive modifications (or semi-destructive ones that involve removing the screen) you could also try just damping the nozzle somehow - stretch some foam, batting, fabric, paper towel, coffee filter, etc over the nozzle and fit the tip over it. You could also pack the tip with something, but options might be somewhat limited as you wouldn't want it to fall out in your ear, so I tend to think seating a damper held in place by the tip is a much safer option - even if the tip comes off in your ear, the damper isn't likely to end up in your ear canal.

Also high output impedance sources (or a series resistance adapter) reduce the treble spike, or EQ around 7-10kHz ?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #24,932 of 63,929
The triple braided one:thumbsup:

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #24,933 of 63,929
KZ foams without the rubber core don't seem to attenuate the highs in the same way as the Comply/chifoam tips.

Besides destructive modifications (or semi-destructive ones that involve removing the screen) you could also try just damping the nozzle somehow - stretch some foam, batting, fabric, paper towel, coffee filter, etc over the nozzle and fit the tip over it. You could also pack the tip with something, but options might be somewhat limited as you wouldn't want it to fall out in your ear, so I tend to think seating a damper held in place by the tip is a much safer option - even if the tip comes off in your ear, the damper isn't likely to end up in your ear canal.

Also high output impedance sources (or a series resistance adapter) reduce the treble spike, or EQ around 7-10kHz ?

Thanks for the advice. Which tips from aliexpress would you recommend i buy? There are so many to choose from. I unfortunately ordered the kz tips.

I will try putting some foam between the tips and mesh and get back in the next few days. Unfortunately, my only source is my Oneplus3T phone, and i dislike carrying extra dac/player/amps whilst commuting.

It's just a wonder to me how popular and well received these earphones are when they are almost completely unlistenable to me. Anyhow thank you for the advice!

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #24,934 of 63,929
Hi all, I've received my ZS6 and am kind of disappointed by the piercing 'tschh' in the highs. I've read that these could be solved by foam tips? I already have a black OFC kz cable and a kz foam tip on the way to me, but meanwhile is there anything i can do to fix the issue without tearing the thing apart? It is really hurting my ears!
Mine seemed to respond to some burn-in and New Bee foam tips very well. Mine have gone from boring and whimpy sounding to truly amazing. Maybe I have just gotten used to the sound signature, but nothing else I have sounds as good.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #24,935 of 63,929
Mine seemed to respond to some burn-in and New Bee foam tips very well. Mine have gone from boring and whimpy sounding to truly amazing. Maybe I have just gotten used to the sound signature, but nothing else I have sounds as good.
I do not believe in burn-in, but i guess i will give it a go for the first time. Desperation calls. What should I be playing and at what volume to burn them in to?

I'll see to order some newbee foam tips aswell. Problem is most sellers sell them in sets of multiple sizes without the option of choosing specific sizes/colors only.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #24,936 of 63,929
I do not believe in burn-in, but i guess i will give it a go for the first time. Desperation calls. What should I be playing and at what volume to burn them in to?

I'll see to order some newbee foam tips aswell. Problem is most sellers sell them in sets of multiple sizes without the option of choosing specific sizes/colors only.

Download some "Pink Noise". And play them back at about your listening volume on infinite loop for an overnight session. Works well for almost all my IEMs to date.

Just look for T400 / T500 foam tips. Most of the vendors will allow you to specific colour and size.

I have bought multiple times from the same vendor:
You can specify size and colour with these

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...897.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.678ce1eeQPGBIh

There's only the option of colour for these :

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...008.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.678ce1eeQPGBIh

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #24,937 of 63,929
Thanks for the advice. Which tips from aliexpress would you recommend i buy? There are so many to choose from. I unfortunately ordered the kz tips.
This seller has been posted many times here as one of the cheapest sources of chifoam tips - they recently changed up their listings some and some of my saved links died, but they still have them at 40pc @$0.25 each, 30pc @ $0.29 each (look under the headphone accessories major category, the sorting beneath that is just weird) etc and you can customize your order for various nozzle sizes / tip sizes / colors by messaging them.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1853692

$0.25 / 2pc for T500 larges too (plus $0.79 shipping :disappointed_relieved: :sweat_smile:)

I will try putting some foam between the tips and mesh and get back in the next few days. Unfortunately, my only source is my Oneplus3T phone, and i dislike carrying extra dac/player/amps whilst commuting.

It's just a wonder to me how popular and well received these earphones are when they are almost completely unlistenable to me. Anyhow thank you for the advice!
The way I look at it, even if they don't benefit from burn-in, the process of doing so helps accelerate brain burn-in via some subconscious trickery. So you should definitely give it a chance, believer or not (and I'm a non-believer, as it were :wink:).

Also if something dies in the first couple days of continuous play, you can get around to replacing/refunding it that much sooner... this is the reason I like to tell myself that I burn stuff in for. :p

As for what to use to burn in - white noise isn't recommended for elevated volume burn-in as it can push too much energy in the highs (though reportedly the ZS6 BAs can probably handle it, if you really want to go that route). Pink noise or music at normal volumes would probably be a more reasonable suggestion imo.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #24,938 of 63,929
I have an Android phone app called Relax and Sleep with brown noise, Summer rain, etc. I ran that overnight at high volume, ran EDM through it, and loud classical piano at different times, mainly overnight. Brain burn-in could be a factor, too, in that I'm just used to the sound now.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #24,939 of 63,929

These are all m size I believe . Check this :
http://s.aliexpress.com/IFvYN7V3

Nov 10, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #24,940 of 63,929

I got my New Bees on Amazon. I ordered the multi-size pack to see what fit. They also had single size packs. I will be ordering large eartips from now on...

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #24,942 of 63,929
After reading the suggestion of high independence source i change the settings of of Asus Sonar STX to 250-300 ohm setting. Could my ZS6 be damaged if i use this setting?

My i intial impression is that the sound got a little better but it most likely placebo. at least the sound did not get worse. I would be nice to just leave it at this setting then I don´t need to change anything when switching to my other headphones.

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #24,943 of 63,929
I'm sorry but the ZS5 doesn't have the best soundstage even within KZ's lineup. The ED9, the ATE and the ZS1 and beat it handily in that specific characteristic.

That depends quite a lot on setup, tips, hearing, music etc.

ED9 has narrower soundtage for sure and has elevated highs that make soundstage "seem larger/airier" but it isn`t.
ATE has little more soundstage depth and presentation/imaging distance but sense of larger space comes mostly from more lasting decays and reverbs, though being less detailed than ZS5.
ZS1 - I don`t have to comment.

Overall I would say that ZS5v1 has very good large soundstage and is among one of the best @ KZ family. Though, it doesn`t quite reach my desk setup: HW modified Aune T1 Siemens E88CC goldpin tube + Fidelio X1 (custom cable).

Among KZ family, one of the best to my ears (maybe the best) soundstage is ANV 2nd gen but unfortunately its bass lacks little for my taste.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #24,945 of 63,929
Is this the new cable on Aliexpress?
I'm only judging by the nice metal connectors that look the same as the ones on that triple braided cable indian website.
Only downside is that they only come in balanced version, which I think I cannot run from my phone/laptop right?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back