Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 14, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #23,431 of 63,916
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #23,436 of 63,916
1. I bought the xiaomi mi A1 since it had a dedicated amp thought it might pair up nicely with my ZS5 v2 but turns out they are too damn sensitive for my phone amp and I head a constant hissing which is loud enough to be noticeable during songs so I am as many people suggesting using an impedance adapter but since I can't bear buying a adapter which will cost me more than a new pair of IEM I am just making my own impedance adapter I have already received the parts just waiting on the resistances I want to know the ideal resistance to use.I couldn't find the spec sheet of the amp used in the mi A1 just know what they advertised that it support headphone upto 600 ohm and a voltage of 10V.
Not sure if the ZS5 v2 impedance has been measured, but I don't think so? Still, it probably looks more like the ZS5 v1 than thew ZS6, so you'd want a voltage divider... something like 16 ohms + 1.5 ohms (or 16+1 for even more attenuation), you should check some of the voltage divider threads around here for the exact math, but iirc around 0.5W should be pretty safe at sane listening volumes.

PS: Here's one with the math for safe power values:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed.601669/
[the (Faux) Impedance Decreasing Adapters section]

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #23,439 of 63,916
Not sure if the ZS5 v2 impedance has been measured, but I don't think so? Still, it probably looks more like the ZS5 v1 than thew ZS6, so you'd want a voltage divider... something like 16 ohms + 1.5 ohms (or 16+1 for even more attenuation), you should check some of the voltage divider threads around here for the exact math, but iirc around 0.5W should be pretty safe at sane listening volumes.

PS: Here's one with the math for safe power values:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed.601669/
Yeah the ZS6 is just the ZS5 v2 with a metal shell so the impedance would be same imo.I just want to decrease its sensitivity I don't mind increasing the impedance high since it is supposed to handle upto 600 ohm I just want to remove the hissing.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #23,440 of 63,916
Yeah the ZS6 is just the ZS5 v2 with a metal shell so the impedance would be same imo.I just want to decrease its sensitivity I don't mind increasing the impedance high since it is supposed to handle upto 600 ohm I just want to remove the hissing.
Nope ZS6 has a crossover @16 ohms impedance, adding resistance damps the highs.

ZS5 no crossover @4.8 ohms, adding resistance damps the bass/mids, ups the highs.

WAAAAAY different.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #23,443 of 63,916
Oh sorry my bad I thought they were the same in terms of specs.
For the ZS6 around 75 ohms serial is ideal.

For the ZS5 you would want a voltage divider though, 16+1.5 (Ear Buddy) is what I use.

And if those diagrams are confusing to you, the construction is dead simple... resistors in series connected input-16-1.5-ground, pull your output signal line from inbetween the 16 and the 1.5, ground just goes to ground. Just make sure to try to cut everything to exactly the same size, those lead lengths matter.

Oh, and connect everything directly to the input jack if you can, don't use extra wire between the input jack and the resistors, it will help give you better channel matching and the right amount of attenuation. You can add more wire on the output signal leads if you need space/length.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #23,445 of 63,916
For the ZS6 around 75 ohms serial is ideal.

For the ZS5 you would want a voltage divider though, 16+1.5 (Ear Buddy) is what I use.

And if those diagrams are confusing to you, the construction is dead simple... resistors in series connected input-16-1.5-ground, pull your output signal line from inbetween the 16 and the 1.5, ground just goes to ground. Just make sure to try to cut everything to exactly the same size, those lead lengths matter.

Oh, and connect everything directly to the input jack if you can, don't use extra wire between the input jack and the resistors, it will help give you better channel matching. You can add more wire on the output signal leads if you need space/length.
Sorry I still can't under how to make it do you mean something like this?
stereo-16-ohm-adapter.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back