Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #22,651 of 63,869
I'm thinkin' the diverse opinion on the Zs5 is to do with mainly one thing.

(1) Where you are on your audio reproduction journey, we are all at different points of our journey with different experience and equipment levels.
There is a general consensus that they are V or at least U shaped. Some like the bass quality some find it one note and sloppy. Some like the treble and some find it shrill and peaky.
Nobody talks about the mids though. lol
It's amazing the variety of H-Fiers that have had a taste of the Zs5, some savour the taste and texture and others spit out chunks of audio stew in disgust. (I'd say there's a lot more positive comments than each negative one).
Maybe they get the attention because of their design, maybe it's just KZ have been making some interesting budget stuff.

A few weeks ago I ripped the wires from the DD and the BA that are covered in blue gunk and the iem still works. I did the wire snipping on one side only and have heard no real difference between the sides.
The DD and BA that are further away from the nozzle don't contribute to the sound in any way or if they do it's a very small difference and I can't hear it.

Tomorrow i'm gonna rip the BA out of the nozzle and see if that does anything to the sound. It might make the IEM much less congested. (pun intended).
Either way between the excruciating fit and the sound that matches the fit, these things are going to leave my stable in a body bag. Not to mention the feeling of being duped by a 4 driver per side claim.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #22,652 of 63,869
Look what just came in today!!

v8Y8jm6.png

Can't wait to give these a shot. First time using foamies, and $9 for 20 pairs is a pretty damn good price.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #22,653 of 63,869
Oct 3, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #22,654 of 63,869

v8Y8jm6.png

Can't wait to give these a shot. First time using foamies, and $9 for 20 pairs is a pretty damn good price.

Mine came in a few days ago as well.

A steal of a price, especially when they can be customized (I got half red and half blue, in a number of different nozzle sizes - even a few smalls). The seller was very accommodating.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #22,655 of 63,869
I'm thinkin' the diverse opinion on the Zs5 is to do with mainly one thing.

(1) Where you are on your audio reproduction journey, we are all at different points of our journey with different experience and equipment levels.
There is a general consensus that they are V or at least U shaped. Some like the bass quality some find it one note and sloppy. Some like the treble and some find it shrill and peaky.
Nobody talks about the mids though. lol
It's amazing the variety of H-Fiers that have had a taste of the Zs5, some savour the taste and texture and others spit out chunks of audio stew in disgust. (I'd say there's a lot more positive comments than each negative one).
Maybe they get the attention because of their design, maybe it's just KZ have been making some interesting budget stuff.

A few weeks ago I ripped the wires from the DD and the BA that are covered in blue gunk and the iem still works. I did the wire snipping on one side only and have heard no real difference between the sides.
The DD and BA that are further away from the nozzle don't contribute to the sound in any way or if they do it's a very small difference and I can't hear it.

Tomorrow i'm gonna rip the BA out of the nozzle and see if that does anything to the sound. It might make the IEM much less congested. (pun intended).
Either way between the excruciating fit and the sound that matches the fit, these things are going to leave my stable in a body bag. Not to mention the feeling of being duped by a 4 driver per side claim.

I`m sorry that ZS5 isn`t Your cup of tea. I would call it slightly U-shaped with near-neutral mids (not recessed, nor good enough).
I`ve been listening to ZS5 lately with longer sessions and honestly, the most "disturbing fault" I can find is in bass and percussion tightness and punch - that`s the main reason I like my FF-mod ATE more than ZS5v1 and additionally ATE mids are more "liquid" and present. Though, ZS5v1 has it totally ok and it isn`t fault someone should avoid buying it.

Will do some mods soon to my ZS5v1 to improve bass/percussion presence and tightness (but not raise quantity much).

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #22,656 of 63,869
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #22,657 of 63,869

v8Y8jm6.png

Mine came in a few days ago as well.

A steal of a price, especially when they can be customized (I got half red and half blue, in a number of different nozzle sizes - even a few smalls). The seller was very accommodating.

Links guys, links. Share the love. :yum::yum::yum:

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #22,658 of 63,869

v8Y8jm6.png

I purchased the same tips and received them two weeks ago. After my Complys started shredding I just couldn't stomach paying so much for them again. So far my first pair is holding up well and I notice no difference in function between them and the Complys. The only slight difference is that they seem to grip the barrel of the ZS5 slightly less tightly. The bore may be ever so slightly wider. I haven't had the tips come off in my ears or anything, they are just slightly easier to remove from the IEM. I always had to worry about the Complys tearing when taking them on and off.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #22,660 of 63,869
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #22,662 of 63,869
Could you mix, for example, t200 and t400/500?
Thanks.in advance, mate.

I did. I mixed the heck out of my order (OD, ID, and colors), and the seller got it all spot on. I have enough foam tips now to last me for the rest of my life.

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #22,663 of 63,869
So I think I've adjusted to the sound sig (or burn-in became real), and the silver-plated cable plus comply T-400 foams have made the ZS6 sound just like I wanted. More sibilant than the ZS5v1 but there's a case to be made that the v1 was too bass tilted anyway.

A barometer for my ears (again, MY ears) is when albums I listen to don't all sound uneven in the same way. Production varies like mad in metal, so if I get a handful that sound too bassy, a handful that sound too trebly, that tells me that for my personal tastes I'm doing well.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #22,664 of 63,869
And more to the point - what does all of this mean in relation to the post I linked earlier?

For some context, the question is if the shop would be stocking the new KZ S3.
The first response reads "This is actually not on the newest products, it is the weihuo product foreign trade OEM , so you can see it's price is very low [...]"
And the transaction concludes with being informed that the KZ ED3 sounds identical to the KZ S3 despite some cosmetic differences.

So I'm genuinely curious... what do you make of that interaction then? I get where you're coming from... but the definition you're using just doesn't make any sense to me in that context.

And that is the first thing that I asked you. LOL. Too far off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back